VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 06:59:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rumor mills are running full speed this morning.  (Read 6264 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:51:58 EDT »

Lots of trolling going on if you look at the other sites.  Is any of it true?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:58:13 EDT »

Idk but it might be an unproductive day in the office today.   
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:03:51 EDT »

Rumor #1... Butch is out today.   
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 04:07:57 EDT »

Friend of mine who is a huge Butch supporter texted me this morning that he thought that Butch might be gone before the day is over.  This guy has never criticized Butch for anything - and he has a few connections in Knoxville, I think.  When I asked why he thought so, he simply said that he had a feeling.  He would not elaborate.

Whether he is right or not, it surprised the heck out of me when I read his text message.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 04:19:28 EDT »

Friend of mine who is a huge Butch supporter texted me this morning that he thought that Butch might be gone before the day is over.  This guy has never criticized Butch for anything - and he has a few connections in Knoxville, I think.  When I asked why he thought so, he simply said that he had a feeling.  He would not elaborate.

Whether he is right or not, it surprised the heck out of me when I read his text message.

Surprises me, too.  Originally, I thought the most likely scenario was honestly that nothing would be done until the season was over.  But there sure is a lot of smoke since last night. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 04:47:25 EDT »

The past 2 weeks have had the end days of Majors and Fulmer feeling to it.
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 05:38:25 EDT »

Y'all can laugh at me if it turns out I'm wrong. But... Barring a complete debacle against South Carolina next week, Butch Jones will be Tennessee's head coach until after the Kentucky game.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 05:40:23 EDT »

Y'all can laugh at me if it turns out I'm wrong. But... Barring a complete debacle against South Carolina next week, Butch Jones will be Tennessee's head coach until after the Kentucky game.

It's pretty much all speculation at this point anyway, right?
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 05:42:44 EDT »

It's pretty much all speculation at this point anyway, right?

As much as I hate the idea of having to start over AGAIN, part of me enjoys the speculation. It's fun on some weird, twisted level. 
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 05:46:46 EDT »

CW, unless Butch loses the players I think they will let him hang around for a while.  He could still possibly finish the year 10-2 (yeah, I know it isn't likely but it is still possible).  If he loses a couple more games and/or loses the team, though, I think its like letting a disease fester to keep him.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 07:05:34 EDT »

As much as I hate the idea of having to start over AGAIN, part of me enjoys the speculation. It's fun on some weird, twisted level. 

Same here, it's at least SOMETHING to be intrigued about for TN football.  Cause the product on the field is anything but intriguing.   
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 07:50:42 EDT »

Just looking at the way the team has played the last two games, I would say that Butch and the coaches have already lost a majority of the players. By lost, I mean the players are tuning them out and ignoring what they say. Slogans will only get you so far until the players realize you are incapable. Seven more games this year will not prove anything. With his track record over the last 4+ years, is there anyone here that actually truly believes he can succeed in SEC? Being a good recruiter is OK, but surrounding yourself with Yes Men that fail to improve a player's skill set is a recipe for getting a bunch of people fired. I hope Butch has saved money and invested well. Looks like he will be unemployed sooner than later.

I guess is Currie pulls the plug at end of October if he loses the next 3 games, which is likely unless the team rallies. They look totally mismatched and unprepared again this year. That is all the responsibility of the head coach. Butch has no one but himself to blame.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 07:54:48 EDT »

Just looking at the way the team has played the last two games, I would say that Butch and the coaches have already lost a majority of the players. By lost, I mean the players are tuning them out and ignoring what they say. Slogans will only get you so far until the players realize you are incapable. Seven more games this year will not prove anything. With his track record over the last 4+ years, is there anyone here that actually truly believes he can succeed in SEC? Being a good recruiter is OK, but surrounding yourself with Yes Men that fail to improve a player's skill set is a recipe for getting a bunch of people fired. I hope Butch has saved money and invested well. Looks like he will be unemployed sooner than later.

I guess is Currie pulls the plug at end of October if he loses the next 3 games, which is likely unless the team rallies. They look totally mismatched and unprepared again this year. That is all the responsibility of the head coach. Butch has no one but himself to blame.

Agree^......We didn't look like a football team against UGA...Not even close to one.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 12:36:36 EDT »

Yep. 

Would have helped if we had held on to the ball. One of the worst efforts from a Vol team I have had the misfortune to witness.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 12:37:13 EDT »

Two words....bye week. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 12:37:49 EDT »

Agree

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 01:59:24 EDT »

If Butch is fired....IMO, it will be later on in the season or after the season. If you fire and replace with a interim and they win some games then you have a...................LSU situation.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 02:10:53 EDT »

If Butch is fired....IMO, it will be later on in the season or after the season. If you fire and replace with a interim and they win some games then you have a...................LSU situation.

The new early signing day has changed everything.  I think you have to make the move ASAP.  Let an interim finish the season, but name the new HC and get him on the payroll as soon as you can so he can be out recruiting.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 02:44:48 EDT »

The new early signing day has changed everything.  I think you have to make the move ASAP.  Let an interim finish the season, but name the new HC and get him on the payroll as soon as you can so he can be out recruiting.

Keeping him around if you know that he's not gonna be retained just doesn't make sense to me. I think that the uncertainty is more harmful than the firing would be.  Of course, maybe I'm being influenced by my disgust with his performance over the past 12 months.

That said, UT could still possibly go 9-3 (or even 10-2; I actually laughed as I typed that).  I will quickly add that I think 9-3 is less likely than me winning the lottery. Firing Butch after a nine win season?  I'm just not sure that would happen.

I think, though, that as long as that's possible we are stuck with him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: