VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 06:12:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flea'd from VolNation  (Read 4676 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2017, 03:39:09 EDT »

I had the idea of Cut with Tee Martin as coach in waiting

Someone on VN posted Fulmer with Jim Bob Cooter as coach in waiting.  I have to admit, that might be an improvement.   

But even better...Cut with JBC as CIW.  Cut much better discipline of players than Fulmer, and active more recently.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:26:10 EDT »

In theory I like it. In reality, I'd rather have the coach in waiting coaching at Utah State. He can learn to be a HC there. If he kills it, great. If not, he's not worth hiring.

Cut would be an upgrade, but if he's o.k. for 4 years, and Tee's mediocre for 5, the experiment almost costs a decade.

Let's get the most proven guy now.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 05:13:59 EDT »

We could do worse, but we could also do better.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 05:38:20 EDT »

I had the idea of Cut with Tee Martin as coach in waiting

Someone on VN posted Fulmer with Jim Bob Cooter as coach in waiting.  I have to admit, that might be an improvement.   

But even better...Cut with JBC as CIW.  Cut much better discipline of players than Fulmer, and active more recently.
I seriously doubt that JBC would leave the pros
Cut?  Like the concept but how much does he have left in the tank?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:00:42 EDT »

When has a "coach in waiting" worked out? 

Just hire the best coach available. Don't really care where he is from. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 08:20:45 EDT »

Cut would be a temp hire.

I didn't say it was the greatest idea, just an interesting thought, but it shows I'm not the only one with that idea.

FSU replaced their legend the right way...let him have a few mediocre seasons with Fisher in the wings.  We are way past that, but Cut as a temp hire - with or without JBC - would be a step up from Jones.  I'd put him down the list though.

Agree that JBC very likely would not leave NFL OC slot to be college OC.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 04:59:14 EDT »

What is this fascination with old retread coaches whose time never was or has passed? Cut is the answer to a trivia question in the Vol past that is not the answer to UT's problems. Fulmer? Why do we want to hire back a fired coach that soaked UT for $millions? Kelley? If he did not win a MNC at Oregon with all the money and cheating supporting him, why does any rational fan believe he will succeed here?

Big bucks to a big name coach is no guarantee of success.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 05:16:42 EDT »

On the other hand, we see what hiring a MAC level coach gets us, too.  Just sayin'.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 05:17:47 EDT »

Cut is right where he wants and needs to be....at Duke. Win 6-7 games a year and fans love him. UT needs a HC with a lot of energy and that's not Cut anymore.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 07:55:49 EDT »

It's been said before, UT is a tough job to sell. You have to have at least top 10 recruiting classes nationally on a regular basis. This Vol roster has two top 5 recruiting classes in it, and you see where the Vols end up. A middle of the pack SEC team. Saban has been the biggest factor in depleting the conference of  good coaches. It is hard to convince a coach to sign on when you can be excellent at recruiting and still not sniff an SEC title. It is easier to be more successful in other conferences.

volsboyinsodak
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 01:42:43 EDT »

What is this fascination with old retread coaches whose time never was or has passed? Cut is the answer to a trivia question in the Vol past that is not the answer to UT's problems. Fulmer? Why do we want to hire back a fired coach that soaked UT for $millions? Kelley? If he did not win a MNC at Oregon with all the money and cheating supporting him, why does any rational fan believe he will succeed here?

Here is where the rubber meets the road!  We had a successful coach that loved UT and the fans were howling even though we were on average a 9 win team!  So the powers in place decided because of know it all fans that oh hell yeah time to get a new coach we are right you are all wrong!  Some were stating "be careful what you wish for" and now we are reaping what we sowed because of the way that Fulmer was fired and the arrogance of a bunch of know it alls!  Yes Fulmer had gotten lax, but you can change and make a fresh start after problems!  Now we are mired in a program that can't even put 5 o linemen together that can block worth a damn!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 04:27:22 EDT »

Here is where the rubber meets the road!  We had a successful coach that loved UT and the fans were howling even though we were on average a 9 win team!  So the powers in place decided because of know it all fans that oh hell yeah time to get a new coach we are right you are all wrong!  Some were stating "be careful what you wish for" and now we are reaping what we sowed because of the way that Fulmer was fired and the arrogance of a bunch of know it alls!  Yes Fulmer had gotten lax, but you can change and make a fresh start after problems!  Now we are mired in a program that can't even put 5 o linemen together that can block worth a damn!

No, firing Fulmer wasn't a mistake.  It was time.  His product on the field had taken a serous step backwards.  He was complacent and satisfied with himself.  There was no fire in the belly left. 

The mistake was in hiring an immature and unproved coach like Kiffin, followed by an even worse hire in Dooley. 

So, because of bad hires the fans should be happy now with a coach who get the team to 2nd/3rd tier bowl games 3 years in a row? 

The reality is that Butch has failed to be able get to Atlanta with good talent while the SECE has been absolute garbage.  He's improved the talent level on the roster, but he has proved that he doesn't have it in him to coach that level of talent.  Keeping him at this point would be a mistake.  A big one. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 04:42:24 EDT »

For those people saying keep Butch, look up the phrase "Throwing good money after bad." 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 10:10:52 EDT »

Whether time had passed Fulmer by completely or not is debatable.  Whether he was motivated or not is debatable.  It's true that the product had deteriorated, but the program and particularly the fans, should have been more patient.  FSU allowed Bowden to go out gracefully with a few mediocre seasons at the end, while keeping a coach in waiting, and it worked out very well for them.  We tried to go full opposite and look what happened.

Whether Fulmer was ready to go or not is debatable, but what is not debatable is that how it happened was an absolute travesty.  Hamilton gave him a nice raise and extension in March 2008 then fired him in November.  He should have had the stones to go down with the ship.  Then there was the joke of a presser with Fulmer in tears (widely mocked by our enemies, particularly bammer fans  ) where most of the team walked out in protest followed by a lay down against Wyoming.  Just an awful way to handle things.  There were those that criticized the players, but the players were right.

I was willing to tolerate Fulmer for another season or two or even more to get his replacement right, and who knows, he might have turned it around.  It would certainly be better than what happened.  The Fulmer situation is very similar to what happened at the other UT with Mack Brown, and the results are also very similar. 

The Fulmer firing was a disaster caused in large part by unrealistic fan expectations fueled by the media, which has an interest in fanning controversy to make a few more bucks. 

An example...people wanted him fired in early 2007 due to a bad loss to Florida.  But who knew at the time that Urban Meyer was one of the two greatest coaches of this generation?  Or that the other was at bammer?  Was it realistic for Fulmer, or any coach to compete year in and year out against that?  Who do we hire to take on those two?

But fans born after 1980 and older fans missing significant amount of grey matter are not realistic about these things, and therefore the last 10 year of misery can be laid directly at their collective feet.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: