VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 04:50:23 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy or sell? All is well in the locker room.  (Read 3111 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2017, 04:21:44 EDT »

I guess we will know after November.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/vols-vets-locker-room-fine-125544524.html

volsboyinsodak
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 04:50:20 EDT »

Would anyone expect the players to say anything bad about the team, locker room, or the coaches? I cannot believe that everything is just great on the team when 1) you have so many stars leaving the team during the season rather than waiting; 2) there have been several fights this year; 3) the abysmal performance last year and this year on the offensive side not being able to score against inferior teams; and 4) Butch's overreaction to anything remotely critical.

I am sure the reporters talked to the identified team leaders who are always going to parrot the party line that everything is OK. I do have a questions. If everything is so OK and this team is 100% behind Butch, why do they look like they are playing to get him fired?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 05:20:12 EDT »

A lot of the issues on this team and last years team is a lack of discipline. That is fact.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 06:52:35 EDT »

Cut is a disciplinarian.  "What has he got left in the tank?" is a question someone asked in a previous post.

My response...who cares, as long as it's at least 3 years.  That's the shelf life of an HC these days.  If we can't get anyone with a bigger name, bring him in to right the ship for 3-5 years.  Unlike Jones, with the talent we have now a 10-win season is virtually guaranteed and likely at least one trip to the SECCG.  He would need to have good recruiters on his staff, and paired with a good DC, but otherwise we could do a lot worse.

Of course, he may not want to leave.  Duke is a pretty soft job.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 09:09:10 EDT »

Bandit, do not challenge the university. They could and have chosen much worse than Cut in the past. I just do not see this administration selecting a caretaker.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 09:18:46 EDT »

Cut is a disciplinarian.  "What has he got left in the tank?" is a question someone asked in a previous post.

My response...who cares, as long as it's at least 3 years.  That's the shelf life of an HC these days.  If we can't get anyone with a bigger name, bring him in to right the ship for 3-5 years.  Unlike Jones, with the talent we have now a 10-win season is virtually guaranteed and likely at least one trip to the SECCG.  He would need to have good recruiters on his staff, and paired with a good DC, but otherwise we could do a lot worse.

Of course, he may not want to leave.  Duke is a pretty soft job.
Don't get me wrong - I could and would support Cut.  It is no coincidence that we won when he was the OC and didn't when he wasn't.  The year he took off for health reasons (had to resign from ND) he spoke at the Birmingham Alumni gathering before the bamer game.
Without being overly critical he clearly documented the issues with the VOLS and I remarked to Emeril that he was ready to return.  The next year he did and Ainge blossomed
Fulmer needed Cut's discipline and his performance at Duke has been darn good.  He has demonstrated his adaptability in gearing his game to the skill set of the offense.

My only question is if he wants to return at his age to the pressure of the SEC

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 10:13:38 EDT »

Let me be clear...Cut would not be my first choice.  We could certainly do worse though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: