VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 02:07:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UNC skates. I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.*  (Read 2152 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2017, 04:07:59 EDT »

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 05:15:03 EDT »

If it is not NCAA responsibility to ensure its member schools do not commit academic fraud, then why can they establish academic standards for eligibility? Like you I am "shocked" that NCAA is not punishing is billion$ cash cow basketball program. And if that had been UNC-Wilmington, does anyone believe it would have been the same outcome? I sense Donnie T will get 10 more show-cause years added soon.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 05:38:34 EDT »

The NCAA's rationale is, "some regular students also took the fake classes, so it wasn't an exclusive benefit to athletes".  So I guess by that reasoning, a booster could give out $1000 handshakes to athletes, and as long as they do the same for a few non-athletes, it's all on the up and up?

When you compare this case to what the Feds dropped a couple weeks ago, it really shows how impotent the NCAA is.  Maybe they should just shut down their compliance and enforcement offices and turn those functions over the the government.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:15:52 EDT »

If it is not NCAA responsibility to ensure its member schools do not commit academic fraud, then why can they establish academic standards for eligibility? Like you I am "shocked" that NCAA is not punishing is billion$ cash cow basketball program. And if that had been UNC-Wilmington, does anyone believe it would have been the same outcome? I sense Donnie T will get 10 more show-cause years added soon.

Correct.  This doesn't surprise me...we had similar issues in the late 90s and also mostly skated.  NCAA allows universities to mess up their academic rep for athletics.  NCAA only governs eligibility of athletes, not how much academic integrity a degree has.

UNC should worry about whatever is brewing with the FBI Nike investigation.  That will be much harder to dodge.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 12:30:47 EDT »

Here's a thought.  If the NCAA is unable/unwilling to enforce academic matters, why couldn't the accreditation bodies get involved?  Don't matters like these strike right at the heart of their mission?  UNC basically admitted that these classes were a sham (for decades) and escaped NCAA justice on a technicality.  But if they thought that SAC or AAU would pull their bonafides for a couple years (thereby diminishing or outright negating the degrees of everyone who attended during that time) then schools might think twice about selling out their academics for athletic championships in the future.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:42:05 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 06:22:44 EDT »

Here's a thought.  If the NCAA is unable/unwilling to enforce academic matters, why couldn't the accreditation bodies get involved?  Don't matters like these strike right at the heart of their mission?  UNC basically admitted that these classes were a sham (for decades) and escaped NCAA justice on a technicality.  But if they thought that SAC or AAU would pull their bonafides for a couple years (thereby diminishing or outright negating the degrees of everyone who attended during that time) then schools might think twice about selling out their academics for athletic championships in the future.

I think so, but not sure how much weight my opinion carries.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: