VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 06:01:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, I'm a believer. SMH....  (Read 3321 times)
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:04:22 EDT »

Right about now is when we usually start hearing the 'he's too loyal to his position coaches' excuse. I'm not gonna bash the guy I simply have nothing left in the tank with which to defend him. I held out real hope for his success.... Sometimes it just doesn't make a good fit no matter how many people want it to.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 06:01:59 EDT »

This is not a matter of fit. This is a case of ability. It is about having it proved that your system will not work (unless you have superior athletes) and in being too stubborn to even try something different. It is never easy for an organization to bite the bullet, take the financial hit, and fire a leader. This is about bringing in talented players and not developing them at all. This is about admitting you made a mistake and finding a replacement. If UT hired a competent AD, he will do what is best for the university. As tickets sales drop (and they are) and donations for stadium remodeling drop (would you donate to a team that believes Butch is the answer?), Currie will have to make a decision.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:19:46 EDT »

I dont know that the system is the issue as much as the refusal and/or ability to adjust or modify it. Nowhere is that more true than on Gameday.

I think the gameplans coming in to a game have at least been adequate if not good, but the ability to make in game adjustments almost non existent. I think Debord did okay, but hes gone.

In game management at times terrible.

I keep hearing about player dev, but many early players such as Sutton and Barbett exceeded expectations. My opinion is that they did so because Butch had no choice but to play them and others like them young. In his later days at UT Butch has IMO been too slow to replace underachievers and thus has also not fostered a legit competition for positions.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 10:13:46 EDT »

Jalen Hurd's stepfather weighs in:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/jalen-hurds-stepdad-sounds-off-tennessees-offensive-struggles-butch-jones/

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:43:04 EDT »

I really couldn't care less what anyone in that family has to say.  As flawed as our offense may be, it sure didn't seem to slow Alvin Kamara down last year.  You know, the guy who is an early NFL Rookie of the Year frontrunner while Jalen is riding the pine and pouting in the football backwater that is Waco, TX.  In fact, with the benefit of hindsight, it's pretty clear now that Butch's biggest mistake on the offensive side last year was not starting Kamara and benching Hurd sooner.

But I wish Jalen well at Baylor.  Maybe they'll actually win a game next year.  Not that any of the Hurds actually care about such team goals.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 12:54:47 EDT »

I really couldn't care less what anyone in that family has to say.  As flawed as our offense may be, it sure didn't seem to slow Alvin Kamara down last year.  You know, the guy who is an early NFL Rookie of the Year frontrunner while Jalen is riding the pine and pouting in the football backwater that is Waco, TX.  In fact, with the benefit of hindsight, it's pretty clear now that Butch's biggest mistake on the offensive side last year was not starting Kamara and benching Hurd sooner.

But I wish Jalen well at Baylor.  Maybe they'll actually win a game next year.  Not that any of the Hurds actually care about such team goals.

^Black Diamond with the walk off.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 03:04:47 EDT »

x2

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 03:07:55 EDT »

And....Kelly touched the ball "only" 18 times.   

I mean, that could be better for sure, but 18 is a lot of touches considering most of our drives were three and out. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: