VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 03:42:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I've given up on Butch but firing a coach during the season is a disgrace.  (Read 3530 times)
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2017, 04:47:07 EDT »

It's sending up a flare message that the program is in complete free fall
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 05:24:56 EDT »

I still don't believe he'll be fired until after the season....Won't be shocked if it happens but I think a lot of this fired next week or the next is board fodder.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:03:33 EDT »

At this point, I see no reason to prolong the inevitable.  Barring a miracle of epic proportions tomorrow and throughout the remainder of the season, Butch is done here.  From my point of view, I see no viable reason to wait to let him go.  It is of no recruiting value (and is likely more detrimental) and there has been no improvement in the team play (if anything I'd say that we have actually regressed since week 1).

I could be persuaded otherwise, I suppose, but it would require reasoning that I haven't heard as of now.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:35:59 EDT »

I still don't believe he'll be fired until after the season....Won't be shocked if it happens but I think a lot of this fired next week or the next is board fodder.
I tend to agree, as much as I'd like to pull the trigger.
I think the timing has to do with several factors, including if the team is still playing hard (as they have been), if the recruiting class is staying more or less in tack, and if a buy out package is in place.  I would also believe that Currie wouldn't pull the trigger unless he had a good backup plan in place for the near term.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 03:25:00 EDT »

Here is how it should be done:  If Currie is smart, he doesn't fire Butch until he has a firm commitment and term sheet worked out with the next head coach.  Otherwise the clock starts ticking publicly which can pressure him into "settling" for the wrong coach.  I assume all of the indirect contact efforts are already taking place in a discrete manner with the true priority candidates. 

Speaking of priority candidates, if I were Currie the following would be my list:

1. Jeremy Pruitt (Knows the "process" from Saban; knows the SEC and recruiting; No BS approach and personality)
2. Jim Bob Cooter (UT and NFL pedigree, young and energetic.  But hasn't recruited)
3. Brent Venables  (Knows Dabo's recipe; can recruit at elite level, has done it before)
4. Josh McDaniels (NFL pedigree, young and energetic.  But hasn't recruited.  Lane Kiffin 2.0 without the smug personality.)
5. Greg Schiano (May know Meyer's recipe; NFL pedigree and knows the recruiting game; No BS approach)

Here is how it should not be done:  Wait until the end of the season, then fire Butch, then start the feeler process to find the new coach.  Doing it in this "old school" manner would be a disaster for UT, given the anxiety of the recruiting cycle and the time pressure it brings.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 04:14:04 EDT »

Well, are we NOT in complete free fall?  I mean, we're 5+ TD underdogs today.  And that's probably too low.  That's the most points I've seen UT get in my lifetime.  And I get it- bammer's really good.  Even so, our program should NEVER reach the point where we're catching 5 TDs against anyone, ever- I don't care if we're playing the Patriots.

Unfortunately, the new early signing day (12/20 this year) has changed the timeline for coaching searches.  No longer can you wait until after the regular season to fire your coach, conduct a 2-3 week search, and announce the new guy right before Christmas.  Because now, that's too late.  To his credit, Butch has assembled a recruiting class worth holding on to.  If we want to do so, we'll have the new coach in place on Sunday morning after the Vandy game, if not sooner.  Because he'll need to hit the ground running.

Unlike many, I hold no personal grudge with Butch Jones.  I recognize that he's taken our program to another level, and the next guy will inherit a much better situation than Butch did.  But he's taken us as far as he can.  As much as I'd like to wait until season's end and send him out with some dignity, that's just not possible given the new accelerated timeline.  Currie needs to rip off the bandaid, and pull the trigger tomorrow morning.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 06:26:18 EDT »

Hope it's tomorrow.  Reports are that locker room has been lost and that the players are thrilled he's out.  It's obvious to everyone TN is in a free fall. 

Also early sigming period changes things, like BDV said.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 08:44:24 EDT »

Too late, this season is already a disgrace

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: