VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 01:48:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like the deed has finally been done  (Read 6084 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2017, 05:50:20 EST »

National media reporting that Butch is done! 

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/929752286615736320

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:52:35 EST »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MyI2jbUqjAo" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/MyI2jbUqjAo</a>

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:57:17 EST »

Next!

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 05:59:16 EST »

Free at last, free at last!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 06:01:37 EST »

I sure hope it's true! Just a year and a half too late.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 06:09:37 EST »

It's true, Hoke is the interim. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 06:21:15 EST »

It's true, Hoke is the interim. 
Germans

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 07:05:13 EST »

If it's true that Butch was given the option to coach the last two games and declined, it doesn't show much resolve or resiliency on his part. That surely isn't the actions of a Champion of Life who possesses a 5 star heart. It would be more like he fell on a helmet.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 07:09:14 EST »

If it's true that Butch was given the option to coach the last two games and declined, it doesn't show much resolve or resiliency on his part. That surely isn't the actions of a Champion of Life who possesses a 5 star heart. It would be more like he fell on a helmet.   
Perhaps he fell on a helmet and needed to take leadership reps from his den ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 07:14:50 EST »

Finally!   
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 07:55:50 EST »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MyI2jbUqjAo" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/MyI2jbUqjAo</a>

LOL!

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 06:10:51 EST »

What amazes me is just three years ago most of you were kissing Jones butt. I watched the same games you did. He lost me with the Oklahoma OT loss and then losing to Arky. Then last year struggling with Appy St. and all the come from behind victories the first 5 weeks. That came from bad coaching to begin with, and we could have easily been 2-3 after 5 games. The losses to USCe and Vandy. But I was called a hater. I never hated B. Jones. I was always hoping he would prove me wrong. He just never did. I hate to see coaches fired, if for no other reason than it sets the program back another few years. The school is taking a chance if they hire someone who has had some success in a weak conference. The SEC is not for the faint of heart to coach in.

volsboyinsodak
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 06:42:29 EST »

One thing I learned early in life is that people hate to have it pointed out to them that they are wrong. I have to fight this myself. People rarely ever like it when they make a bad decision, realize it was wrong, and then have it pointed out to them. Mostly the manner that a person's bad choice is pointed out to them draws the most anger. Mostly it is that old thinking that you have to support the school and the players not matter what that causes strife. Some people just cannot stand to hear bad news and/or the truth. Some people just want to continue living in the past and just cannot accept that criticizing the HC is really acceptable. Change is never easy.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 07:23:45 EST »

One thing I learned early in life is that people hate to have it pointed out to them that they are wrong. I have to fight this myself. People rarely ever like it when they make a bad decision, realize it was wrong, and then have it pointed out to them. Mostly the manner that a person's bad choice is pointed out to them draws the most anger. Mostly it is that old thinking that you have to support the school and the players not matter what that causes strife. Some people just cannot stand to hear bad news and/or the truth. Some people just want to continue living in the past and just cannot accept that criticizing the HC is really acceptable. Change is never easy.

What choice did any of us make?  The AD hires coaches, not the fans.  WTF??? 

And volsboy, to choose to be optimistic doesn't mean anyone is kissing Jone's butt.  I'm not a person who follows a coach.  Other than according him the same basic respect I give any human being, I could care less about Butch Jones personally.  What I want is for the program to succeed.

And like it or not, massive negativity of the type you display creates a bad vibe for programs.

The thing with Butch had to play out.  He made questionable decisions, but he also had massive upset wins over USC and Georgia his first two years.  Either of those wins was bigger than anything that had happened since 2007.  Therefore, for the first time since Dooley lost to LSU in his third game as a coach, I had cause to be optimistic.  I didn't really think Butch would be the final answer, ever, though like you I hoped he would, but I had a more realistic hope that he could be a big step up from Dooley, and he was.  Thank goodness.  We had three winning seasons and three bowl wins in a row, so at least we made that level of success.

What I was pushing back against was that Jones was our coach.  It was a done deal. We are not going to change that.  So why not hope for the best?  The thing I was mostly against was people in YEAR 1 (InspectorVol comes to mind) saying Butch would be just as bad as Dooley because he came from the MAC, because his staff was weak, because he didn't have any SEC level coaches and because he couldn't recruit SEC athletes blah blah blah "whaaaahhhhh!!!!  we suck!!!! the world is coming to an end!!! I hate the coach!!!  Wahhhhhhhhh!!!" (picture whiny fan sucking thumb).

I'm sick of that shizzle, and I am sick of people who are not happy unless we go 11-1 or 12-0. 

Do this on the next coach.  At least wait a couple years to whine.  Try it, you might like it, and it might even be good for the program.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 10:32:38 EST »

What amazes me is just three years ago most of you were kissing Jones butt. I watched the same games you did. He lost me with the Oklahoma OT loss and then losing to Arky. Then last year struggling with Appy St. and all the come from behind victories the first 5 weeks. That came from bad coaching to begin with, and we could have easily been 2-3 after 5 games. The losses to USCe and Vandy. But I was called a hater. I never hated B. Jones. I was always hoping he would prove me wrong. He just never did. I hate to see coaches fired, if for no other reason than it sets the program back another few years. The school is taking a chance if they hire someone who has had some success in a weak conference. The SEC is not for the faint of heart to coach in.

Dooley would have lost to OU here by 50 points!  At least we were in the game rather than getting our asses shellacked!  How do I know because I was there and witnessed the game rather than watching from somewhere in SD and being a negative Nancy!  I for one support UT athletics with more than my mouth!  You say he lost you losing to OU in Neyland, but how can you be lost when you were never a believer?

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 04:06:24 EST »

Dooley would have lost to OU here by 50 points!  At least we were in the game rather than getting our asses shellacked!  How do I know because I was there and witnessed the game rather than watching from somewhere in SD and being a negative Nancy!  I for one support UT athletics with more than my mouth!  You say he lost you losing to OU in Neyland, but how can you be lost when you were never a believer?

FWIW. just a reminder that the only time they met head up Dooley beat Jones.  And Jones kicked a field goal on 4th and goal from the 1 in that game, too.

You aren't the only one who supports UT with it's finances.  And just because one didn't buy the Butch hype doesn't make them any better or worse fan than you are.  You don't get to decide who is and who isn't a "true" Vol fan. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 04:26:58 EST »

Like I said before, if you folks are happy with 9-4 teams playing in the Music City Bowl fine. Why didn't we just keep Jones and save a bunch of money? Plus, I think we way over estimated the talent he brought in. We haven't had good OL play at any point in his 5 years here. Plus, the team he fielded this year looks far from talented. Jones is gone. I am ready for the next coach.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 10:32:09 EST »

Like I said before, if you folks are happy with 9-4 teams playing in the Music City Bowl fine. Why didn't we just keep Jones and save a bunch of money? Plus, I think we way over estimated the talent he brought in. We haven't had good OL play at any point in his 5 years here. Plus, the team he fielded this year looks far from talented. Jones is gone. I am ready for the next coach.

Yes.  You are a huge football expert who can confidently say that his talent was overestimated.  I guess you moonlight as a scout for the NFL.     Forgive me if I go ahead and accept the fact that we are talented but have underachieved.

No one is happy with the ceiling of Vol football being 9-4 and a trip to the Music City bowl.  But it's okay as a floor.  No team save bammer has not had a season like that in the last 5 years, and in fact every single team with the exception of bammer has been worse than 9-4 in the last 5 years.

And bammer is only able to maintain that standard by massively cheating at recruiting, so they don't even count IMO.

Here's an interesting nugget...from 2014 to 2016, Butch Jones had a better record than Gus Malzahn, widely considered the second best coach in the SEC .  This season is Gus's first 8+ win season since the NC game in 2013. 

In other words, shizzle on it all you want, the last three years have actually been pretty good.  Only delusional irrational types like you could possibly think they were bad, but you want 12-0 every single year, which is ridiculous.

And since you apparently have ADD, in before you can criticize me by saying I think 9-4 is good enough, I don't.  I do definitely think it's a big plus up from 6-7, which is Dooley's best record, and as a reminder, earlier in this post I said 9-4 is perfectly acceptable as a floor.  In fact 8-5 is too...anything below that and I am unhappy.  Of course, there is a caveat that along with the occasional 9-4 or 8-5, you have to have some 10-3, 11-2 or even better seasons. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: