VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 07:56:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Termination Letter  (Read 2395 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:34:44 EST »

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 11:38:49 EST »

Coach Jones, GTFO,  & GBO

11B4PJ3F7
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 11:40:02 EST »

Coach Jones, GTFO,  & GBO
I do like to use FCBJ

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:02:09 EST »

Paying $8MM after this season is a testament to the screwed up world of college football.  It's absolutely crazy that any school will be a party to a contract that won't allow termination of a coach for cause (without any future payments) for lack of winning, but I guess that's the stupid, unconscionable college football world in which we now live. Absolutely ridiculous.  I quit watching college football on TV a few years ago, and I don't miss it in the least.  I do like seeing family and friends at tailgates, so hopefully that will continue.  But, if this next hire results in a huge contract for a "name" coach based on not much more than hope, then I'll end my days as a donor and attending games.  It's no big deal, as they won't miss my money and I'm rarely able to attend games anyway, but I hate what our "fans" have become. Oh, and any people who root against the Vols so the coach will be fired are not true fans, regardless of how much they or their supporters proclaim or protest that they are (or how much they donate, etc.).  I hope the next hire is a great one, regardless of name, splash, etc.  I'll cross my fingers but not hold my breath.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:52:21 EST »

Paying $8MM after this season is a testament to the screwed up world of college football.  It's absolutely crazy that any school will be a party to a contract that won't allow termination of a coach for cause (without any future payments) for lack of winning, but I guess that's the stupid, unconscionable college football world in which we now live. Absolutely ridiculous.  I quit watching college football on TV a few years ago, and I don't miss it in the least.  I do like seeing family and friends at tailgates, so hopefully that will continue.  But, if this next hire results in a huge contract for a "name" coach based on not much more than hope, then I'll end my days as a donor and attending games.  It's no big deal, as they won't miss my money and I'm rarely able to attend games anyway, but I hate what our "fans" have become. Oh, and any people who root against the Vols so the coach will be fired are not true fans, regardless of how much they or their supporters proclaim or protest that they are (or how much they donate, etc.).  I hope the next hire is a great one, regardless of name, splash, etc.  I'll cross my fingers but not hold my breath.

Well I won't argue any of that. A quality hire however that is defined will suit me 👍
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 06:29:14 EST »

Paying $8MM after this season is a testament to the screwed up world of college football.  It's absolutely crazy that any school will be a party to a contract that won't allow termination of a coach for cause (without any future payments) for lack of winning, but I guess that's the stupid, unconscionable college football world in which we now live.

Very true.  The excuse thrown out is that a coach without a big buyout will suffer on the recruiting trail.  Sounds to me like the agents have all the power, somehow.  I don't buy it and the salaries are ridiculous.   I am increasingly in the same boat as you.  I watch much less football than I used to, and it gets less interesting all the time.

Paying a coach a huge buyout for recruiting reasons is just another way of saying "win at all cost". 

The root cause IMO is fans that tie too much of their happiness to how a sports team is doing, and so are willing to pay almost anything for winning.  I think it says something about where our culture as a nation is going, and not anything good either.  Just my 2 cents.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: