VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 10:18:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady Hoke the DL coach  (Read 2170 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2017, 08:08:01 EST »

Brady Hoke is supposed to be an outstanding DL coach, if nothing else. Yet, our run D is awful and our interior line has looked soft all year.  Could it be that Shoops/Jones just weren't letting Hoke go with the personnel he wanted to play?  And now that he's the HC, he could maybe overule Shoop on some awful LB decisions (if we are only going to play two, then please Lord let it be Sapp and Bituli).

In short, will the run D get a jolt from Hoke being in charge?  I sure hope so, we are going to need it!
My over/under on Guise yards is 280.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 08:20:31 EST »

Brady Hoke is supposed to be an outstanding DL coach, if nothing else. Yet, our run D is awful and our interior line has looked soft all year.  Could it be that Shoops/Jones just weren't letting Hoke go with the personnel he wanted to play?  And now that he's the HC, he could maybe overule Shoop on some awful LB decisions (if we are only going to play two, then please Lord let it be Sapp and Bituli).

In short, will the run D get a jolt from Hoke being in charge?  I sure hope so, we are going to need it!
My over/under on Guise yards is 280.   
The main, consistent issue with run defense has been the 2nd level, primarily #53. In general, our LB play has been beyond bad, especially in run defense.  We aren't helped by the fact that one of our safeties is far too slow for SEC level play. He plays well, just a step too slow,

The interior play actually has improved with the returning to form by Tuttle. 

I will be more interested in substitution patterns and see if FCBJ was responsible for the lack of PT for the kids.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 08:28:58 EST »

The main, consistent issue with run defense has been the 2nd level, primarily #53. In general, our LB play has been beyond bad, especially in run defense.  We aren't helped by the fact that one of our safeties is far too slow for SEC level play. He plays well, just a step too slow,

I will be more interested in substitution patterns and see if FCBJ was responsible for the lack of PT for the kids.

Sorry i'm not buying it.  I often see the opposing RB go 3 or 4 yards before anyone lays a mitt on him.  I recall when we had Haynesorth and Henderson RBs would literally bounce backwards.  MacKenzie took a year off and is soft IMO.

Tuttle is good but got punked several times last game.

I freely admit LB play at stopping run next level bad and likely just as big or bigger of a factor.  But inside runs are almost all on the DL.

Either way, maybe we improve today.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 08:30:45 EST »

The main, consistent issue with run defense has been the 2nd level, primarily #53. In general, our LB play has been beyond bad, especially in run defense.  We aren't helped by the fact that one of our safeties is far too slow for SEC level play. He plays well, just a step too slow,

Pirate speaks the truth. When you don't have linebackers filling gaps it makes your DL look worse than it is. Never thought I'd see the day UT would be as bad at the linebacker position than we've been lately. The one's that are SEC level stay hurt most of the time. We are in much need at the corner position too. Lacking at the DE positions too.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 09:47:54 EST »

It's a combination of both.  The DL essentially blocks for the LBs if you look at it in a particular way.  The DL has played just plain awful.  Our LBs have played worse though, IMO.  53 looks like a BAD HS player out there at times, if not ALL the damn time.  I hate to be so negative, but that has been the eye torture we have all gone thru this season.  It is just flat out terrible.  I had the same thoughts as you Bandit, how in the hell could Hoke let this shizzle go on???  something in the coaching is broken.  I really doubt it is something that you can fix overnight.

wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 10:25:28 EST »

Then maybe he just did not have that much to work with.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 10:30:19 EST »

KMac has not lived up to his hype....Tuttle has stayed injured. Our DL has played better and you can't judge on making tackles....Linebackers are called LINE-BACKERS for a reason and we have been poor there. 53 couldn't start for many DII programs. Something more than he's just able to make defensive calls as to why he's been in there way too much.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 05:51:02 EST by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 02:43:12 EST »

I'll buy that it's more on the LBs than the DL, just not letting the DL off the hook completely.

Having said that, they did look much better tonight, and I think personnel had something to do with it.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: