VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 12:02:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CBS sports started it. 247 jumping in.  (Read 4558 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2017, 04:58:58 EST »

https://twitter.com/govols247/status/934807127100715008
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 05:18:20 EST »

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jon-gruden-talking-to-tennessee-volunteers-about-coaching-vacancy/

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 05:51:30 EST »

Talking and actually being serious are different things. These Grumors are just a smokescreen to divert attention from the actual target(s). If Gruden were really serious, why would he not be here now? All you Grumer-mongers are just setting yourself up for a huge letdown. Five years ago we heard the same, "He is signed, sealed, and on his way" rumors. Did it happen? NO. If he actually agrees, I will be happy. Do I expect it? NO. This is the same as 5 years ago when UTAD media spread all this false information via social media.

This fan base is a bunch of old quilting ladies at a party spreading and talking rumors and gossip about the neighbors. When the new coach is not announced Monday, will people be on social media demanding Currie be fired because he has failed? Probably. He does not have to meet yours or my expectations. It is his job on the line too.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:13:31 EST »

Talking and actually being serious are different things. These Grumors are just a smokescreen to divert attention from the actual target(s). If Gruden were really serious, why would he not be here now? All you Grumer-mongers are just setting yourself up for a huge letdown. Five years ago we heard the same, "He is signed, sealed, and on his way" rumors. Did it happen? NO. If he actually agrees, I will be happy. Do I expect it? NO. This is the same as 5 years ago when UTAD media spread all this false information via social media.

This fan base is a bunch of old quilting ladies at a party spreading and talking rumors and gossip about the neighbors. When the new coach is not announced Monday, will people be on social media demanding Currie be fired because he has failed? Probably. He does not have to meet yours or my expectations. It is his job on the line too.

Oh, deere lowered!  Why so freakin' serious?  Nobody can have any fun around here anymore.  What harm is there in a little speculation?  None.  Man, this place sure has changed in its almost 20-year existence, and not for the better.  Guido, you are missed more than you could ever imagine. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 06:18:55 EST »

I agree Gruden could have been on board eons ago if he so desired, but it's still entertaining.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 06:24:02 EST »

This is the first time a national news organization has reported that at least an element of the Grumours is accurate.
At the end of the day will he sign?  Who the heck knows but it will ramp up the local Grumours to heights not experienced since Thursday before last.
I also believe, if it happens, it will initiate the demise of the HoH and IMO that is a good thing, regardless of the eventual new coach.  

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 06:43:07 EST »

Eventually somebody has to be right, right? 
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 07:11:51 EST »

Eventually somebody has to be right, right?  

Yep, Currie. 

"Naturally, there will be great interest and speculation across the college football world. As I reminded our student-athletes when I met with them earlier today, unless you hear news directly from me, do not assume it to be accurate." -- John Currie, AD, Tennessee
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 07:39:33 EST »

Dang Tony, you hit me right in the feels when you mentioned Guido 

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 02:59:08 EST »

This is the first time a national news organization has reported that at least an element of the Grumours is accurate.

And got lots of clicks....

But having been horrified at reports of Schiano getting hired, I'll go ahead and jump on the Gruden train, because I'd rather act out a fantasy than deal with Schiano being the guy.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 03:45:14 EST »

Currie is possibly more egotistical than Butch Jones? 

To first of all think that the UT fan base would be accepting of a Schiano hire just seems idiotic. Even ignoring the PSU stuff, the guy is a lousy head coach. Look at his records. There is no way that the UT fans were ever going to think that this was a good hire. With prices being what they are, a game day experience is too expensive for the average fan to continue to settle for mediocrity from the athletic department brass.

Secondly, if he thought that it was a good idea to allow the Gruden rumors to persist, he is an idiot.  If he thought that he could allow the rumors to continue and that he could then sell Schiano as a better alternative than JG, then he has a WAY too high opinion of himself. Vol fans are not that ignorant.

How do we end up with the type of people in charge?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 03:48:13 EST »

I went back and checked Schiano's record at Rutgers, because I thought it was mostly mediocre, but wasn't sure. It turns out, he did have one 11-2 record.  After that, he looks a lot like Butch.   

2001   Rutgers   2–9   0–7   8th         
2002   Rutgers   1–11   0–7   8th         
2003   Rutgers   5–7   2–5   7th         
2004   Rutgers   4–7   1–5   6th         
2005   Rutgers   7–5   4–3   3rd   L Insight      
2006   Rutgers   11–2   5–2   T–2nd   W Texas   12   12
2007   Rutgers   8–5   3–4   T–5th   W International      
2008   Rutgers   8–5   5–2   T–2nd   W Papajohns.com      
2009   Rutgers   9–4   3–4   T–4th   W St. Petersburg      
2010   Rutgers   4–8   1–6   8th         
2011   Rutgers   9–4   4–3   T–4th   W Pinstripe

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 03:50:33 EST »

Currie is possibly more egotistical than Butch Jones? 

To first of all think that the UT fan base would be accepting of a Schiano hire just seems idiotic. Even ignoring the PSU stuff, the guy is a lousy head coach. Look at his records. There is no way that the UT fans were ever going to think that this was a good hire. With prices being what they are, a game day experience is too expensive for the average fan to continue to settle for mediocrity from the athletic department brass.

Exactly, even before I learned of his ties to the Sandusky scandal I thought he was a terrible candidate just based on his coaching resume.  Then when the rest was brought to light, I said "no way Currie is this stupid.  No way!"
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 04:08:38 EST »

I went back and checked Schiano's record at Rutgers, because I thought it was mostly mediocre, but wasn't sure. It turns out, he did have one 11-2 record.  After that, he looks a lot like Butch.   

2001   Rutgers   2–9   0–7   8th         
2002   Rutgers   1–11   0–7   8th         
2003   Rutgers   5–7   2–5   7th         
2004   Rutgers   4–7   1–5   6th         
2005   Rutgers   7–5   4–3   3rd   L Insight      
2006   Rutgers   11–2   5–2   T–2nd   W Texas   12   12
2007   Rutgers   8–5   3–4   T–5th   W International      
2008   Rutgers   8–5   5–2   T–2nd   W Papajohns.com      
2009   Rutgers   9–4   3–4   T–4th   W St. Petersburg      
2010   Rutgers   4–8   1–6   8th         
2011   Rutgers   9–4   4–3   T–4th   W Pinstripe

Football-wise, Miami and VPI were the Big East conference for over a decade.  When they left for the ACC in 2005, someone had to take advantage of the cupcake schedule and fill the void.  Butch's Cinci teams rose to prominence in this time period as well.  It was all fool's gold.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 04:11:55 EST »

Football-wise, Miami and VPI were the Big East conference for over a decade.  When they left for the ACC in 2005, someone had to take advantage of the cupcake schedule and fill the void.  Butch's Cinci teams rose to prominence in this time period as well.  It was all fool's gold.

I know.  At the same time, Rutgers used to average about 1-3 wins a year, so I give him some credit for improving the situation there.  But like I said...only a small upgrade on Butch.  We can and should do better.

At this point Campbell looks like a home run.     Or most anyone...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: