VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 06:18:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone remind me again why we didn't hire Blackburn?  (Read 2449 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:36:35 EST »

I mean, that was the most obvious, most slam-dunk would-be hire in UT history.  All the fans wanted him, and he wanted the job.  He even stated so publicly.  And in typical UT fashion, we hire someone else.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:45:16 EST »

I mean, that was the most obvious, most slam-dunk would-be hire in UT history.  All the fans wanted him, and he wanted the job.  He even stated so publicly.  And in typical UT fashion, we hire someone else.

Yep.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:26:07 EST »

I was wondering how we whiffed on him as well,  he would have been a much better hire.

Is it too late to get him? I've ran out of confidence in Currie rather quickly tonight

11B4PJ3F7
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 02:27:36 EST »

My understanding is Chancellor Davenport made the call.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:38:06 EST »

IMO, the Athletics Board told Davenport she could hire anyone see wanted but Blackburn because he had insulted big money men by telling them Dooley was an idiot and bad hire. Rich people hate when you point out they are idiots and it is proven they are. Blackburn is not a yes man and speaks his mind. In politics and dealing with millionaires that is not a good quality that endears you to men with big egos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:47:55 EST »

I've read rumors that most power players thought it was Blackburn, and Haslam backdoored everyone and shoehorned Currie in. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 02:52:40 EST »

Apparently the Browns Haslam wanted Schiano a couple of years ago...

https://www.si.com/2014/02/12/cleveland-browns-jimmy-haslam-fires-joe-banner

"Banner wanted nothing to do with Schiano. Haslam was intrigued with him after the over-the-top recommendation from Belichick. The group flew to Tampa to interview Schiano, and one source said Banner was cold to Schiano, not participating much in the interview. Banner likely thought Schiano would be a disastrous hire, given all the negatives in recent Cleveland history. He was probably right, but the owner was open to it, and when the owner’s open to it, the man running football operations should at least consider it."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: