VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 05:22:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, the puppet’s statement indicates he learned NOTHING from yesterday  (Read 10328 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2017, 05:57:23 EST »

He’s done to me
IMO he should be removed fed from his duties immediately
Yes I know we need to hire a coach but it is very apparent that the puppet is. It capable of doing so
Of course the person that hired him also seems incapable of making a decision as well

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:16:49 EST »

Reading the statement, I came to this conclusion. You really cannot fix stupid. Also, Currie cannot judge coaching ability. If you ask former employers about ex-employees, of course they are never going to give negative feedback. Every large institution trains line management to NEVER say anything bad because that make you liable in a potential suit.

Besides, if he were any good and the Tampa Bay debacle with ex-players was not public, some other desperate college would have hired him. So you listened to all your buddies in the coaching/administration industries that told you "Go ahead. Hire him, What could go wrong?" Then the water balloon burst in your hand as you started to throw it and you got soaking wet.

You are not as smart as you think you are and you got bad advise from your alleged peers. You chose...poorly.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 06:34:15 EST by 73Volgrad » Logged
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 06:19:47 EST »

He fails to understand that it is not a court of law, it is not beyond a reasonable doubt.  It is instead perception is reality, and any perception involving Sandusky is toxic.  Toxic to me, toxic to ANY fanbase, and extremely toxic in the cutthroat world of recruiting.  I would be astounded if any P5 school hired Schiano as HFC.   What struck me about his statement is the same self-serving defensiveness that Butch Jones exhibited in poisoning his relationship with the fan base.  I was surprised he didn't let us know that we will move forward with a great deal of resolve and resiliency.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:32:58 EST »

All I needed to know was that he thought Schiano was the right hire, regardless of the Penn St. mess. He's not qualified and there were much better to be had. i hoped we'd throw everything at Mullens but evidently Currie the idiot thought "better". He has to go period or we will witness the death knell of UT football.           
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:40:40 EST »

It would seem that so long as Big Jim is allowed to pull the strings of the puppets in the athletic department, mediocrity will be the norm for UT football.

Schiano's record as a head coach speaks for itself - the vetting process should have ended there.  He is not the coach that Tennessee needs.  Sure, the Gruden frenzy magnified things and made the hire even more hurtful to Vol fans who were holding out hope for the 'big splash' coach who could hire the killer staff, but even if there had never been any grumors this was a terrible idea from the get-go.

There were plenty of good, qualified coaches that were attainable - but our AD apparently never considered any of them.

The official statement this morning simply seems to say, at least to me, that things will most likely continue as they are.  You can put frosting on it and decorate it with sprinkles, but bullshizzle is always gonna taste like bullshizzle.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 06:51:02 EST »

This is my take of what the puppet’s statement really said to we VOL fans:’

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:58:19 EST »

The mere fact that Currie is going to be allowed to continue to make this hire speaks volumes on those above him. 

And I know this shocks everyone, but Currie bailed on a speaking engagement at the Touchdown Club meeting today that has been planned since back in the summer. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:02:27 EST »

The mere fact that Currie is going to be allowed to continue to make this hire speaks volumes on those above him. 

And I know this shocks everyone, but Currie bailed on a speaking engagement at the Touchdown Club meeting today that has been planned since back in the summer. 

I’m Shocked, SHOCKED that he bailed on speaking to the common folk

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 07:05:39 EST »

Shows how spineless our Admin is.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 07:07:45 EST »

Louis makes key points about this not being a court of law. That's been lost on national pundits too. No there's not any video evidence of Schiano seeing Sandusky do anything.

However, if someone is at the scene of a crime, I'll question his guilt. Not investigated does not equal exonerated. Far from it.

And yeah, the only thing Currie should be allowed to do in his office is pack.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 09:54:48 EST »

Louis makes key points about this not being a court of law. That's been lost on national pundits too. No there's not any video evidence of Schiano seeing Sandusky do anything.

However, if someone is at the scene of a crime, I'll question his guilt. Not investigated does not equal exonerated. Far from it.

And yeah, the only thing Currie should be allowed to do in his office is pack.

Yep.  It's just like politics, all over again.  As the saying goes "avoid even the appearance of impropriety". 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 09:57:40 EST »

I get that people are angry with Currie, but man is there a lot of piling on.

So he fizzleed up the first choice.  He can learn from that and get a better guy.  If he hasn't learned from it, then I agree, go ahead and axe him now.

But I'd at least like to see what his next move is.

I think the reaction to Schiano was justified, but at the same time there is a segment of our fanbase that will. Never.  Be. Happy.  With anything.  Ever.  And they need to STFU or GTFO.  Or better yet, both!   

And for the record, I exclude the great majority of posters on this board from that last sentence.    

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 05:05:46 EST »

I get that people are angry with Currie, but man is there a lot of piling on.

So he fizzleed up the first choice.  He can learn from that and get a better guy.  If he hasn't learned from it, then I agree, go ahead and axe him now.

But I'd at least like to see what his next move is.

I think the reaction to Schiano was justified, but at the same time there is a segment of our fanbase that will. Never.  Be. Happy.  With anything.  Ever.  And they need to STFU or GTFO.  Or better yet, both!   

And for the record, I exclude the great majority of posters on this board from that last sentence.    

I'm going to disagree (I know you are shocked). He blew the entire process.

Over 2 weeks ago, UT contacted OSU about Schiano. He was Haslam's (and thus Currie's) choice from the beginning. Why the theatrics? Why delay? There were so many ways that yesterday could have been avoided. The simplest being just try to hire a really good coach instead of someone with Schiano's coaching record.

Allowing the Gruden rumors to persist and allowing the Peterson possibility to continue, knowing that there was no chance for either of those hires, only poisoned the process further. Those were two asinine decisions.

Lastly, the release that he put out this morning read like a Butch Jones post game press conference after a loss. It wasn't his fault.

The guy didn't just screw it up, he totally annihilated it. He's not capable of making this selection judging from his handling of the situation to this point.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 08:29:55 EST »

I'm going to disagree (I know you are shocked). He blew the entire process.

Over 2 weeks ago, UT contacted OSU about Schiano. He was Haslam's (and thus Currie's) choice from the beginning. Why the theatrics? Why delay? There were so many ways that yesterday could have been avoided. The simplest being just try to hire a really good coach instead of someone with Schiano's coaching record.

Allowing the Gruden rumors to persist and allowing the Peterson possibility to continue, knowing that there was no chance for either of those hires, only poisoned the process further. Those were two asinine decisions.

Lastly, the release that he put out this morning read like a Butch Jones post game press conference after a loss. It wasn't his fault.

The guy didn't just screw it up, he totally annihilated it. He's not capable of making this selection judging from his handling of the situation to this point.

I get it. 

Does that mean his next choice will suck?  I don't think so.

Firing him now would be beyond stupid.  It would guarantee no coach, essentially.  And Davenport won't do it anyway because then it would be like admitting it was a mistake to hire him in the first place.

Let him screw up the first choice.  I don't care, move on.  If his second is better then that's all that really matters.

Or fire him and what?  Take the interim tag off Hoke?   That would make things worse. 

Currie can make this right.  those saying they have seen enough and that he's an idjut, well, good luck with that.  He's not going anywhere.

It's like no one can learn from a mistake.  Human beings can't adapt.  We are robots.  Once a person makes a single mistake that;s it, right?

What planet are you all living on?  It's not Earth.   

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 02:10:04 EST »

Bandit, because other people do not agree with you they are from another planet?   

I think you are being naive.

Looking at the issue strictly from the standpoint that a bad first choice was made, your argument would maybe have merit.  I say maybe because Currie had to know that his number one job at UT would be to maintain the football program at the highest possible level. His handling of the entire situation has, undeniably, been ridiculously mismanaged. The level of bumbling doesn't just show, imo, errors in good judgement; it shows a total lack of good judgement.

More importantly, this entire fiasco reeks of more of the same from the power broker that runs UT athletics.  Currie is a pawn of that broker.  He was brought in to do the bidding of that power broker.  He will conintue to do the bidding of that person.  UT football, and UT athletics  in general,  will continue to suffer so long as the athletic department and university administration of simply puppets of big donors, especially those who have repeatedly shown an ineptness to make improvements to the products.  There's no time like the present to start that process - the fan base is definitely ready for it.

If this were a fortune 500 company and a blunder this colossal had been made by an executive who was tasked with making this decision so crucial to the company's future success, I sincerely doubt that the executive would be allowed a do-over.  He wouldn't deserve one, either. 

Its your job.  Do it right the first time.   Life is a series of choices, one after the other.  Making those choices is the easy part; living with them is often the most difficult.  Currie made his chioice.  In my opinion, he should not now be given another chance to do what he should have, and could have, done in the first place.

But hey, that's probably just my idealistic view from the planet UTopia.

Have a great day, Earthlings! 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 02:21:46 EST »

Bandit, because other people do not agree with you they are from another planet?   

Looking at the issue strictly from the standpoint that a bad first choice was made, your argument would maybe have merit.  I say maybe because Currie had to know that his number one job at UT would be to maintain the football program at the highest possible level. His handling of the entire situation has, undeniably, been ridiculously mismanaged. The level of bumbling doesn't just show, imo, errors in good judgement; it shows a total lack of good judgement.

More importantly, this entire fiasco reeks of more of the same from the power broker that runs UT athletics.  Currie is a pawn of that broker.  He was brought in to do the bidding of that power broker.  He will conintue to do the bidding of that person.  UT football, and UT athletics  in general,  will continue to suffer so long as the athletic department and university administration of simply puppets of big donors, especially those who have repeatedly shown an ineptness to make improvements to the products.  There's no time like the present to start that process - the fan base is definitely ready for it.

If this were a fortune 500 company and a blunder this colossal had been made by an executive who was tasked with making this decision so crucial to the company's future success, I sincerely doubt that the executive would be allowed a do-over.  He wouldn't deserve one, either. 

Its your job.  Do it right the first time.   Life is a series of choices, one after the other.  Making those choices is the easy part; living with them is often the most difficult.  Currie made his chioice.  In my opinion, he should not now be given another chance to do what he should have, and could have, done in the first place.

Great post.  I snorted at your first sentence.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 03:02:35 EST »

Once again, I get all that.  The Schiano attempted  hire is a colossal blunder.  It raises doubts about Currie.

So do you doubt for one minute that firing him will make things worse?  This is a very important coaching change, as we all know.  UT has dug itself in a hole, and that is squarely on Currie.

So the obvious solutions is to fire our AD in the middle of this coaching search.  Right.   That will work. 

Sorry, but that would be unbelievably fizzleing stupid thing to do.  Period, dot.

Personally I am hoping he does a better job from here out on this hire. 

I could see firing him from the perspective of "sending a message", but honestly, at this point does that really matter?  Do you really think that would work, and if so, why?

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 03:24:44 EST »

Once again, I get all that.  The Schiano attempted  hire is a colossal blunder.  It raises doubts about Currie.

So do you doubt for one minute that firing him will make things worse?  This is a very important coaching change, as we all know.  UT has dug itself in a hole, and that is squarely on Currie.

So the obvious solutions is to fire our AD in the middle of this coaching search.  Right.   That will work. 

Sorry, but that would be unbelievably fizzleing stupid thing to do.  Period, dot.

Personally I am hoping he does a better job from here out on this hire. 

I could see firing him from the perspective of "sending a message", but honestly, at this point does that really matter?  Do you really think that would work, and if so, why?

You're only viewing this thru your glasses and not looking into other points of view. Another train of thought says that no coach in their right mind would leave the security of a contracted job the supports their family well in order to come to work for Currie who just backed out of a deal with Schiano. Would you do it without reservation? I know I wouldn't

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 03:39:19 EST »

You're only viewing this thru your glasses and not looking into other points of view. Another train of thought says that no coach in their right mind would leave the security of a contracted job the supports their family well in order to come to work for Currie who just backed out of a deal with Schiano. Would you do it without reservation? I know I wouldn't

You might be right, you might not.  There are actually reports that he is under pressure to resign.

I can't think that will help though.  Maybe in some other universe not called "reality" it will.   

So...what is the plan?

Personally I would appoint Doug Dickey acting AD just for the coaching search (if he's still senile) and make sure Fulmer and Majors are involved.  I also don't know Old Man Haslem's situation...he's 86...but maybe put a fresh set of Depends on him, wheel him out of the nursing home and have his personal handler spank his boy and put him to bed early.   

Or more important, involve him in the coaching search...I trust his football sense far more than the owner of the Browns.  Not sure how senile he is at this point either. 

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 03:48:26 EST »

You might be right, you might not.  There are actually reports that he is under pressure to resign.

I can't think that will help though.  Maybe in some other universe not called "reality" it will.   

So...what is the plan?

Personally I would appoint Doug Dickey acting AD just for the coaching search (if he's still senile) and make sure Fulmer and Majors are involved.  I also don't know Old Man Haslem's situation...he's 86...but maybe put a fresh set of Depends on him, wheel him out of the nursing home and have his personal handler spank his boy and put him to bed early.   

Or more important, involve him in the coaching search...I trust his football sense far more than the owner of the Browns.  Not sure how senile he is at this point either. 

I'm going to back out of our conversation since I'm obviously not dealing with reality

11B4PJ3F7
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 04:00:16 EST »

Not everyone is able, or willing, to understand this alternative perspective.  

Firing Currie and instituting change in the power structure at UT could be seen as a positive to some.  It could lead to a more positive working environment that would attract more top coaching candidates.  It would not necessarily be an "unbelievably fizzleing stupid thing to do.  Period, dot." as Bandit says.  Just because Bandit believes it doesn't make it so.  

I could just as easily turn around and say that allowing Currie and the present power structure to maintain control would be "unbelievably fizzleing stupid thing to do.  Period, dot.".  That wouldn't make me correct, either.  

It would just make two different opinions.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:04:24 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 04:23:56 EST »

He fails to understand that it is not a court of law, it is not beyond a reasonable doubt.  It is instead perception is reality, and any perception involving Sandusky is toxic.  Toxic to me, toxic to ANY fanbase, and extremely toxic in the cutthroat world of recruiting.  I would be astounded if any P5 school hired Schiano as HFC.   What struck me about his statement is the same self-serving defensiveness that Butch Jones exhibited in poisoning his relationship with the fan base.  I was surprised he didn't let us know that we will move forward with a great deal of resolve and resiliency.

I OBJECT!

Louisvol's evidence is Hearsay, immaterial, pure conjecture, and not proper cross examination your honor, I demand that his scurrilous character assassination be stricken from the record!

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 05:08:00 EST »

I'm going to back out of our conversation since I'm obviously not dealing with reality

There's always room in UTopia, FLVOL!!!

One warning, however, we don't allow driving in the left lane unless you are passing.  No exceptions! No excuses!

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 05:42:11 EST »

Not everyone is able, or willing, to understand this alternative perspective.  

Firing Currie and instituting change in the power structure at UT could be seen as a positive to some.  It could lead to a more positive working environment that would attract more top coaching candidates.  It would not necessarily be an "unbelievably fizzleing stupid thing to do.  Period, dot." as Bandit says.  Just because Bandit believes it doesn't make it so.  

I could just as easily turn around and say that allowing Currie and the present power structure to maintain control would be "unbelievably fizzleing stupid thing to do.  Period, dot.".  That wouldn't make me correct, either.  

It would just make two different opinions.

I don't think you completely understand...I'm talking partly about firing an AD in the middle of a coaching search maybe not being the best option.

But the other thing I am mentioning is the political reality.

Do you really think it's that easy to get Jimmy Haslem out of the loop when his family is the biggest donor to UT and his brother is Governor?  How exactly is that going to work? 

What other power base are you looking to?  It seems they have all the angles covered to me.

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 05:52:47 EST »

Every coach except for a select few understand that the instant you are hired, you are on the clock to get fired before your contract is up. How many coaches actually retire on their on terms and at the top of their game?  So this no coach will come actually boils down to what coach in his right mind could trust the word of AD Currie.

If I were a coach, I would want to know will the Chancellor and the power structure sign the contract and agree to the deal. I would not trust you as the AD hold any sway in the decision making process because you made a choice and were overruled. I would want to know who my real boss is and demand to talk to them before signing on. I would demand to come on campus to interview and see if the pitchforks and torches come out during my visit. I would want to ask the powers that be who they were going to hire next because Currie is so damaged no one can trust him.

Currie is Mike Hamiltion 1.B and not 2.0. Except Currie is more clueless than Hamilton ever was. He has allowed himself to be pictured as the face of athletics at UT and to become the sacrificial lamb when the public rightfully objected to a bad choice. Being bought and paid for is wonderful when everything is going well. When if blows up in your face like the dye pack in a stolen money bundle, you just reveal how stupid and greedy you are. Currie never showed any true ability as AD at Kansas State except to alienate the fans and coaches. Unless he hires the second coming of Saban that leads UT back to championships, he is toast. The old saying you never get a second chance to make a first impression is so true.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: