VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 01:09:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I think an inexperienced HC hire can be a GOOD thing  (Read 2951 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2017, 01:17:37 EST »

A wise man once said that great head coaches attempt to surround themselves with assistants that are even better.

Wasn't one of our biggest issues with Butch the fact that he refused to listen to his assistants?  Our offense had the same problems year after year, even through three coordinators.  Why?  Because Butch was running the show with his "infallible system". 

If we were to hire a Tee Martin, and surround him with an all-star staff, I think he would be more likely to listen to them and lean on them than someone with more experience.  That can be a good thing.

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:24:35 EST »

Tee Martin would be an unmitigated disaster as a head coach. If he hadn't played at Tennessee, there is no one in this fan base who would want him as the head coach. Georgia Southern didn't even hire him as head coach, for crying out loud.

I don't dislike Tee at all. But this is only his second season as a coordinator, and he was catching a lot of heat from USC fans for his playcalling as recently as this year. He is nowhere close to being experienced enough to be the head coach at a major P5 program.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:31:19 EST »

No..to Tee. Hire a proven....national championship winning coach from DII before him.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:22:15 EST »

Tee Martin would be an unmitigated disaster as a head coach. If he hadn't played at Tennessee, there is no one in this fan base who would want him as the head coach. Georgia Southern didn't even hire him as head coach, for crying out loud.

I don't dislike Tee at all. But this is only his second season as a coordinator, and he was catching a lot of heat from USC fans for his playcalling as recently as this year. He is nowhere close to being experienced enough to be the head coach at a major P5 program.

I just don't see how you can say, with certainty, that he would be any more of a disaster than the other names that are now in the mix.  These are all very risky, low-floor guys.  The question is, who has the highest ceiling?  I think it's Tee, provided he's surrounded by a good staff.  He is absolutely the best recruiter of the bunch.  And his hire would, for the most part, unite the fanbase, promote a little more patience, and he would subsequently have a longer honeymoon period in which to grow into the job.  You think Doeran or anyone else would get that kind of margin of error?  He'd be on the hot seat from day one.

FWIW, Dabo Swinney didn't even have coordinator experience when he was name the interim HC at Clemson. He was their WR coach.  He was also the same age (39) that Tee is now.  He had a few middling years to start, but I'd say he grew into the job quite nicely.

Unless Currie manages to pull a rabbit out of his hat (and that aint happening), we've reached the point where we're going to be making a risky hire no matter what.  Might as well take a risk on one of our own, and a guy who actually wants the job.

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 02:36:10 EST »

Coach Fulmer was what, 42 years old with 3 years experience as OC, when he was hired?  I'd be fine with Tee and strong coordinators.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 02:53:44 EST »

Agree. He should be the last desperation option at best. We need to get this circus troop looking for a coach off the road and out of the news cycle, regroup, get on the same page over the weekend, and hire a coach by Monday evening.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:56:14 EST »

Coach Fulmer was what, 42 years old with 3 years experience as OC, when he was hired?  I'd be fine with Tee and strong coordinators.

Agreed

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: