VTTW Board Index
April 16, 2024, 09:53:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Been away a while, but I have to return and ask some questions...  (Read 1857 times)
VOLveeta
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:56:51 EST »

Okay, so bear with me.

The greatest era of Tennessee football, at least in my lifetime, was during the Philip Fulmer era.  As I recall that was an era with a very consistent staff and a roster comprised of a lot of Tennessee and North Carolina kids.  Yes, EVERYTHING was different then but the thing we can't deny is... those who were here loved it here and would have stayed until they were using walkers.  And my GOD could they develop players!

The consistency of that era was significant... slowly as Fulmer's success grew, the recruiting region grew thanks to folks like Rodney Garner.  BUT... Fulmer was a former player, assistant in the right place at the right time.  He raised the bar and brought us national acclaim.

My question is this... are we trying to fit the wrong shaped peg into the wrong hole because we are listening to national pundits, OR worrying about our reputation, OR trying to be like someone else and mirror THEIR success???  Is it time to hit the reset and just look at Tennessee football for what it is... something only WE can truly love and be passionate about?  IS the answer being avoided?  Is it possible that we need to rethink what might work and focus on Vols... REMEMBERING WHAT WORKED BEFORE?

Is it possible... and PLEASE don't respond without AT LEAST THINKING ABOUT IT... is it possible that we need to look at a Randy Sanders type and even when considering assistants, look at the vast log of former Vols who would CRAWL back to Knoxville for a chance to re-ignite this program?  The ONLY people truly willing to put in the hours and commit to re-establishing a program FOR THE PROGRAM'S SAKE, NOT JUST THEIR RESUME'?

What if we accept that we are in for a dismal recruiting season and SERIOUSLY and COMPLETELY rethink this whole process... and look at former Vols, some of the greatest, and assemble a staff of those who love this program the most?  Seriously, at this point there is no way we are going to look any worse.  We've suffered from the choices of the “geniuses” in the positions of power for years.  We've had the pundits insist that Dooley, Kiffin, Jones... were “great hires” and we were labeled “fools” for fighting it.  We can't look any worse.

Is it possible that we are looking in the wrong direction, trying to do this the wrong way... is it possible that we need to reassemble orange blood and redefine what makes a winning staff?  Is it possible that this is a unique situation that requires a unique team of coaches and priorities?

I'm just asking because at this point I'm really wondering if there is anyone willing to put in the hours to save this ship... who isn't completely in love with being a Vol.  Should we try to mirror the success that we enjoyed rather that of others?

Should we just shut down the search and rethink, completely, what formula will bring success to UT?  Reaching outside of the family has been nothing but a fail.  So?  Maybe radical, maybe naive... but the “winning formula” we've embraced for almost 18 years now has only led us to........ THIS.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:01:16 EST »

No, I am of the opinion you cannot do it with Tennessee only coaches and local talent from TN & NC. A lot of the 1990s talent was SC, GA, & VA with a smattering of stars from all around the USA. Not all the better coaches were from TN. So no you do not have to limit coaching and players to TN.

No, but what you do need is a Chancellor that demands the AD do his job in competent matter. So no you do not have to be from TN to work hard and win. These coaches did not fail because they were not born in TN and graduated from UT. There is nothing unique about coaching at TN. You do not any AD that stands behind the HC & will fund the best. I really hate to break it to you, but there are not great coaches with TN ties that could step in and win immediately,

Yes, in the past in the 1990s, the game was such Fuller could win. When the SEC started hiring better coaches that started running pass-oriented high powered offenses & running strong fast defenses designed to stop running offenses. Fulmer’s winning % against the East & top 20 teams really fell off. Yes UT may have won, but times and the game have changed and UT did not demand the AD had to be competent. Going cheap on assistant’s pay resulted in inferior coaching ability.

Find a guy who can actually coach & select assistants that can train & develop players. Just because you played at UT does not make you qualified to coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
VOLveeta
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:44:36 EST »

I wasn't being literal about recruiting only NC & TN kids, just remarking that we've undergone three "experiments", at this point, what's a fourth?  The formula seems to have served Wisconsin well.  We aren't getting a hot name, we're looking at a dozen rejections... seems to me unless a miracle unfolds we're going to be hard pressed to find anyone who stirs huge enthusiasm amongst recruits... even instate so... why not hold off instead of forcing a fourth mediocre hire in a row just because we're terrified to admit that the rest of the country doesn't see the program the way we do?  There are a lot of former vols out there coaching, at this point I still say it's worth consideration.  It's just hard for me to imagine that Les Miles or even Sumlin are "fired up" to be in the positions they are in, presently.  And it's hard to imagine them being super motivated to restore UT more than folks who played here.  If it's not Tee, at this point, I have little confidence that recruits are going to be clamoring to join the next experiment hoisted upon us from the ivory tower set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: