VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:39:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Read this or you're banned  (Read 4093 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2017, 06:02:20 EST »

I had a long post planned, in a style I miss using and that some of you would recognize... bemoaning the fate of our beloved  ... but man it sounded so goddam arrogant and whiny, I just couldn't put you all through it. This one is long, but I'll chill on the prose.

I hope you are all well. For those of you who aren't friends with me on Facebook, there are flecks of gray in my hair and my oldest daughter drives an SUV and will be enrolling at APSU next fall. My youngest is a freshman in HS. My wife is gorgeous and I'm getting old while working too hard. Still fat. Not as fat as I used to be. Always working on it. Time marches, man.

I can't even really talk about the Vols other than to say they may have finally broken this fanatic down to casual fan status. Who would've ever thought that was possible? But the Schiano episode broke something in me. The fact that the fans had to revolt to suppress that and give the entire university a black eye is unforgiveable. A Doeren type hire will finish off the break for me and force me to casual status, I'm sad to say.

Some of you might have remembered that this coming spring will mark 20 years since the formation of the original VTTW. I had a chuckle today when I remembered that 10 years ago, we had the board anniversary party at UT Mom & Pop's lake house. I distinctly remember telling Clockwork "Man, if we can't beat UCLA, we have major problems." Well, we didn't, and we did, and Phil got fired. And to think I thought that was rock bottom. 

I don't visit here very much anymore... I think maybe 10 times in 5 years? Trust me... it's not you... it's definitely me. But, this board remains important to me because the 10 year run that we had before Phil left marks some of the best memories in my life. The board was a big part of that for me and gave me a sense of importance and purpose at a time in my life where I had little. I'll keep popping in from time to time, but with the turmoil on the hill, it may not be for a while. I won't ever stop lovin' them Vols, though.

Go Big F uckin' Orange, y'all.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:43:56 EST »

Wow...that party was 10 years ago?!?!  Man...time flies.  My little 2 year old and baby are now 12 and 10 and they have an 8 yo little sister now.  Shouldn't you be doing your duty and planning a 20th anniversary party?  Just saying.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 02:53:34 EST »

I've been wondering where you've been, and it sure is nice to see you six shooter

I connect to your sentiments, I was thinking a lot about the old VTTW community and I do miss it a lot. You're on point about the HC mess, it has taken a lot out of me and I guess that's why I've been reminiscing about the days of old.

I hope that you get some of the passion back for the football program, but more importantly, I hope to see you around here if you have the time

11B4PJ3F7
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:00:19 EST »

Revolver,

Hopefully, the old adage that "it's always darkest before the dawn" is applicable when this is all said and done.

At least that is my hope.

Miss you posting on here.

Have a great day!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 03:16:41 EST »

Hi, Revolver.   
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 03:23:36 EST »

Hi, Revolver.   
Who is this ReVOLver character?
Is he related to the former "sheriff" around here
Was good seeing him post

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 04:28:15 EST »

I'm feeling the same way you do. Love the Vols. Always will. But the passion I had for it has waned over the last 10 years. A customer of mine said to me, It's effing college football. Get over it. It's not like national security is at stake no matter what they do. I said you just don't understand, football down south is a religion and the stadium is the church. But I have started to feel the way he does over the whole football thing. I was living in Omaha when I started on this board, an it was the best of times and the worst of times for me being a Vol fan there. Those two bowl losses to the Huskers with a national title sandwiched in between was bittersweet, but overall a great time to be a Vols fan. Take care Revolver.

volsboyinsodak
PanhandleVol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 06:45:25 EST »

but I will admit giving up my season tickets was difficult, but wise. Getting rid of most of my "stuff" and considering leaving the Emerald Coast in the summers and head west for cooler weather in the mountains. Girlfriend works in Johnson City now, she just left Pensacola, so that is difficult for us both. Life changes. I still follow the Vols and love them, just not so closely.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 06:50:18 EST »

Was good seeing him post

Absolutely.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 12:38:01 EST »

I though you already went into casual fan mode? 

Anyway, great to hear from you.  Come back more often.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 05:44:50 EST »

I though you already went into casual fan mode? 

Anyway, great to hear from you.  Come back more often.

There are levels of casual fan mode, and I think my post made it pretty obvious what the difference was when I typed it

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 05:51:44 EST »

I have already broken what I said in the original post here, but I probably will drift away after the search is over. Even though I'm emboldened with the coup, UT has a few years of really bad football ahead no matter who gets hired.

Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 06:35:25 EST »

You know, it used to be that I would go to the neighborhood bar and commandeer one of the TVs for the Vols game of the week during football season.  When and if we beat Florida, back when that was an actual thing, I couldn't wait for the next week and the Georgia game.  Then Bama was coming up and SC and later on KY and Vanady, with the cake part of our schedule.  I grinded through another crap week every week at work with that at the end of the rainbow.  Win, lose or draw, I would always enjoy the game.  Sure, sometimes we got whooped but I never went into a game feeling like we would.  I barely even turn on the Alabama game anymore because I have pretty much no hope.  I don't like that feeling.  And I'm just plain embarassed when we fire and hire a new coach as it is almost always a ridiculous dog and pony show and we end up looking pitiful and ridiculous as a football program.  At least, we didn't hire Doeren, that NC State scumbag.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: