VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 01:23:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Three realistic and doable hires better than Doeren  (Read 4301 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2017, 09:28:58 EST »

In order of my preference

1. Brohm
2. Sumlin
3. Norvell

I am somewhat reluctant on Norvell, but will take him over Doeren any day.

Let me stress these are not what I consider the three best candidates, just three I think would take the job and end the search.  And are definitely better than Doeren.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:42:22 EST »

Currie (and Haslam) are not concerned with the quality of the hire, only that Currie make the hire.  If not done in the next day or two, the hire may very well fall to more program friendly representatives.

Currie must not be allowed to make this hire. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 03:41:41 EST »

I don't care who makes the hire, so long as it's one we can all live with.

The Haslem family has been one of the biggest boosters of the AD since the mid-70s.   I do believe Jimmy Haslem is incompetent at football, just look at the Browns.  At the same time, as part of the leadership structure of the University, and a big one, it's natural that he shoulder a lot of the blame for the last 9 years.  It's also natural that people be angry with him.

But wanting to fire Currie or sideline Haslem as retribution for every single problem the Vols have had, not all of which can be laid a the Haslems feet, might make some fans feel better, but it won't get us a coach.

I agree 100% that other factions besides Haslem need to weigh in and that if possible he be completely overruled. 

At the end of the day though, I only care at the moment about who the next coach is. 

And again, given all the luck involved, I think most anyone with a pulse can  make the hire.  Just MO....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:47:00 EST »

Since Fulmer, all hires have been under the control of one person.  How has that worked out for us?

All true Vols fans want the same thing.  The best coach available for the program. 

We don't care who that is, so long as that individual is identified and secured.  We certainly don't care who gets credit for the identification and for the signing.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 04:27:12 EST »

1. Brohm
2. Sumlin
3. Kiffin

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 04:30:17 EST »

1. Brohm
2. Sumlin
3. Kiffin
I would go:
1. Brohm
2. Steele
3. Sumlin

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 04:30:58 EST »

I would go:
1. Brohm
2. Steele
3. Sumlin

me too

11B4PJ3F7
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 04:38:38 EST »

I'm still surprised no large school has shown any interest in Chris Klieman, the North Dakota State coach. He has been a thorn in the side of a few P5 programs. Maybe he can find another Carson Wentz.

volsboyinsodak
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 05:55:32 EST »

No to Steele. His record at Baylor was abysmal.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 06:03:16 EST »

If Tennessee didn't hire Brohm because of a hangup over a $5 million buyout, this is the stupidest damn administration on the planet.

Wait. I guess that's a comical statement at this point.

I like Norvell, too. Wouldn't have been my first choice but would be solid.

I hate to say it because I know it's become cliche, but Dave Doeren is Butch Jones 2.0. He will not succeed here. In fact, I'd say he's committing career suicide by even coming to Knoxville. He may get treated more rudely upon his arrival than Gene Chizik was at Auburn. And, unlike Chizik, Doeren is not inheriting a Cam Newton.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 06:45:17 EST »

Well, Brice tweeted he's hearing Delorean is staying at NC St.   
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 06:50:10 EST »

I've seen that....Don't need anyway.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 06:52:19 EST »

Dodged another bullet~~~~~~~~~!

But what does that say about our current ability to hire?  It's hard to say what details being leaked out are accurate, so I guess that is difficult to really assess. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 06:55:40 EST »

Dodged another bullet~~~~~~~~~!

But what does that say about our current ability to hire?  It's hard to say what details being leaked out are accurate, so I guess that is difficult to really assess. 

It says he didn't want to uproot his life for a lame duck AD that probably isn't going to be around much longer.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 12:41:33 EST »

Doeren's agent was able to leverage an overdue extension.  I'm almost certain we didn't offer him.

As for him being Butch 2.0, I am unsure I think the quality of his wins is better than Butch's.  However the increase is too small to matter.

I would call him Butch 2.1, maybe.  A slight upgrade.

doesn't matter, he's definitely not the right hire.  At all.  So congrats NC State!   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: