VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 11:22:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else seen this?  (Read 3537 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2017, 03:36:05 EST »

https://twitter.com/bradfullington/status/936229466468225026

I have no idea if it is accurate, but I believe that with the present state of our AD it is possible.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 03:50:27 EST »

100...;no....1000....no....1,000,000....no INFINITY %

COMPLETE.   fizzleING.  BULLshizzle.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:52:51 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:07:33 EST »

Horse feathers....
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 04:10:06 EST »

Change the "ington" to "ofcrap"

I have no idea if it is accurate, but I believe that with the present state of our AD it is possible.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:44:44 EST by LouisVOL » Logged
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 04:17:49 EST »

Oh, it's absolutely true.  I play Yahoo Backgammon with Sean McDonough all the time, and that is what he told me - after Gammoning my ass.......

RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 04:32:30 EST »

Oh, it's absolutely true.  I play Yahoo Backgammon with Sean McDonough all the time, and that is what he told me - after Gammoning my ass.......

I concur with you.  I was at Sam's filling up the car this morning and the attendant there told me that he was at the
drive-thru at Burger King and heard the guy on the intercom talking to his sister on his cellphone and she
said while she was at McDonalds getting breakfast when the girl who took her order told her that the girl who did her
hair ran into the back of Jon Gruden's vehicle in Knoxville yesterday and he told her not to worry about it and gave the
vehicle to her as a gift because the University of Tn was about to start paying him 12.5 Million a year to be the football
corch there.  Has to be true with this genealolgy of information!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 04:52:46 EST »

It certainly sounds ludicrous.  But given all we've seen this past week, can we really just dismiss it out of hand?

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 05:14:10 EST »

I think it's nonsense. I've always thought it was nonsense. Jon Gruden did not sign an MOU. He did not sign a contract. He never agreed in principle to be Tennessee's next coach.

However, let's consider a few things: Gruden also didn't go out of his way to dismiss rumors that he was going to be UT's next coach. More than that, he was given multiple opportunities to shoot them down and didn't. Not once. Then there was that whole much-discussed Seattle radio spot, where he asked the hosts to not ask any questions about Tennessee and then brought up Knoxville and Rocky Top — "great song" — unprovoked. Is it possible, just barely, that Gruden was interested in talking to Tennessee about the job?

Clearly he was. That doesn't mean he was going to take it; I still think that was a long-shot. At the end of the day, common sense has to prevail. But let's not forget that he was reaching out to some former UT players about joining his hypothetical coaching staff at Tennessee. Those aren't the actions of someone who has no interest in the job.

Based on what has been said and what I've been told, this is what I believe: a faction of boosters very much wanted Gruden to be the coach and assured him that they could meet his demands. Currie didn't say yes but didn't say no, but also made no attempt to make contact with Gruden — which is why Gruden began telling some people he was not going to coach at UT. Boosters were still holding out hope that Currie would engage with Gruden once the regular season ended. And then Currie blindsided them by going after Schiano.

Now let's back up to 2012. Circumstances were largely the same. Some boosters wanted Gruden. There was some mutual interest. Most people scoffed at the notion that Gruden would ever coach at Tennessee, only to have Gruden himself later indicate that there had been interest on his part. He went so far as to reach out to some folks with Tennessee ties about joining his staff. And then it fell apart.

In 2012, as in 2017, it was alleged that the athletics director didn't want Gruden and stood in the way of a potential hire. Now, like I said, I think it was unlikely Gruden would have agreed to coach either time. But a lack of buy-in from the AD prevented talks from even getting serious.

So what's the one constant between 2012 and 2017? Different ADs, obviously. But one very influential booster who, for whatever reason, doesn't want Gruden.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 05:40:19 EST »

I concur with you.  I was at Sam's filling up the car this morning and the attendant there told me that he was at the
drive-thru at Burger King and heard the guy on the intercom talking to his sister on his cellphone and she
said while she was at McDonalds getting breakfast when the girl who took her order told her that the girl who did her
hair ran into the back of Jon Gruden's vehicle in Knoxville yesterday and he told her not to worry about it and gave the
vehicle to her as a gift because the University of Tn was about to start paying him 12.5 Million a year to be the football
corch there.  Has to be true with this genealolgy of information!

Awesome, two solid sources = CONFIRMATION!

RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 11:52:28 EST »

Awesome, two solid sources = CONFIRMATION!

I have to recant my statement now. It's being said that Jon Gruden gave his vehicle away to a young lady that ran into the back of him and now he doesn't have a way to get to the university.   Damn the luck.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 12:30:35 EST »

I think it's nonsense. I've always thought it was nonsense. Jon Gruden did not sign an MOU. He did not sign a contract. He never agreed in principle to be Tennessee's next coach.

However, let's consider a few things: Gruden also didn't go out of his way to dismiss rumors that he was going to be UT's next coach. More than that, he was given multiple opportunities to shoot them down and didn't. Not once. Then there was that whole much-discussed Seattle radio spot, where he asked the hosts to not ask any questions about Tennessee and then brought up Knoxville and Rocky Top — "great song" — unprovoked. Is it possible, just barely, that Gruden was interested in talking to Tennessee about the job?

Clearly he was. That doesn't mean he was going to take it; I still think that was a long-shot. At the end of the day, common sense has to prevail. But let's not forget that he was reaching out to some former UT players about joining his hypothetical coaching staff at Tennessee. Those aren't the actions of someone who has no interest in the job.

Based on what has been said and what I've been told, this is what I believe: a faction of boosters very much wanted Gruden to be the coach and assured him that they could meet his demands. Currie didn't say yes but didn't say no, but also made no attempt to make contact with Gruden — which is why Gruden began telling some people he was not going to coach at UT. Boosters were still holding out hope that Currie would engage with Gruden once the regular season ended. And then Currie blindsided them by going after Schiano.

Now let's back up to 2012. Circumstances were largely the same. Some boosters wanted Gruden. There was some mutual interest. Most people scoffed at the notion that Gruden would ever coach at Tennessee, only to have Gruden himself later indicate that there had been interest on his part. He went so far as to reach out to some folks with Tennessee ties about joining his staff. And then it fell apart.

In 2012, as in 2017, it was alleged that the athletics director didn't want Gruden and stood in the way of a potential hire. Now, like I said, I think it was unlikely Gruden would have agreed to coach either time. But a lack of buy-in from the AD prevented talks from even getting serious.

So what's the one constant between 2012 and 2017? Different ADs, obviously. But one very influential booster who, for whatever reason, doesn't want Gruden.

I go back to what midtnvol posted a couple weeks ago by a longtime NFL employee who had worked with Gruden before and knows him as a collegue (all verified).  He didn't speak directly to Gruden, but spoke to some that are "close to him" (no names).  What he said was very credible.  Gruden doesn't shoot down the rumors because in the Entertainment business generally and certainly in Sports, it's beneficial to your personal brand to be seen as being desired.   

It further stated that Gruden does have an interest, though not a huge one, in one day maybe returning to the NFL though not college.  It further stated not to assume that interest in Gruden by the NFL was automatic and that to maintain his professional viability Gruden doesn't mind being linked to coaching openings.

The above makes a whole lot of sense to me, and comes from a credible source.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: