VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 10:08:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a question..  (Read 1971 times)
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2017, 06:34:41 EST »

Why is it fans read Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Board posts etc. and they believe every word hook line and sinker? And I follow up with why are people so gullible and desperate to believe what a self-declared expect has to say? Can people not think, act, and reason for themselves any more?

I know that there are a lot of people that believe like I do that Currie is an incompetent puppet that cannot make a decision on his own and lets others do his thinking. But all of these stories, rumors, and blogs from sports columnists, leads me to the conclusion all these stories are written to just to make fans react for the bizarre pleasure of whoever is writing them. The old "My reliable source is telling me" is showing to rarely be true because they are so far afield to be laughable. And most of them are almost believable based on the fool that Currie was exposed to be Sunday.

You can make fun and ridicule the comic that says "Well I read it on the internet so it must be true." From the reaction of a lot of posters, they do believe every thing they read. These are probably the same people that believe that Nigerian prince wants to give them money is real, that cop on the phone with their grandchild needs you to pay for the bail with Green Dot card numbers is real, or that really was Elvis working the grill at the Burger King in Ypsilanti, Mich. People are so gullible they believe anything. But the UT administration is completely clueless about their malfeasance in running the school for the past two decades they just cannot understand why people object when they say "Trust us. We know what we are doing." Conducting a coaching search entirely in a vacuum certainly blew up when Currie lied to the fans about search high and wide for the best. Unfortunately, now it seems there are way too many supposed leaks from people in the know that sportswriters and bloggers can print anything and people believe it.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:49:10 EST »

"There's a sucker born every minute" PT Barnum

Would that apply?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 06:49:17 EST »

It's simple, it's because on social media one can easily filter the information they receive.  On Twitter you choose who to follow.  On message boards, people choose what threads to open and read.

Believe it or not, there is someone, somewhere on the internet that brings legitimate info.  One can be lazy and say none of it's true and all of it is hogwash, or one can put forth some effort and weed through all the nonsense and attempt to identify real information based on the legitimacy of the source (based on historical accuracy).
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 06:53:23 EST »

Sorry I missed your post, a very nice gentlemen called to let me know my computer was severely infected with viruses, and I had to give him access so he could fix it.  Which just goes to prove that there are some honest and reliable folks on the interwebs.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:11:29 EST »

There are also probably a few folks who actually get information online, but from people that they know personally as being honest and upstanding people.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 12:51:32 EST »

I'm with you on this ... too many don;t filter things at all.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: