VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 08:46:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulmer to be new AD and here are the power players.....  (Read 6072 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2017, 09:26:19 EST »

Per gridironnow.com:
Davenport is holding a 4:00 PM ET press conference today on the UT campus to insert Phillip Fulmer, the College Hall of Famer and former national championship-winning coach, atop the athletics program.
The other choice considered to replace Currie per people on campus was Reid Sigmon, Currie’s No. 2 and chief lieutenant. Multiple sources said that Sigmon was backed by Jimmy Haslam while Fulmer possessed resounding support among other constituencies, including boosters John ‘Thunder’ Thornton and Charlie Anderson.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:29:23 EST »

Interesting

He better make a good hire.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:29:58 EST »

WIN

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:30:29 EST »

Burn it down! Burn. It. Down!!!!!

Jimmy Haslam can kiss my nuts

11B4PJ3F7
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 09:31:36 EST »

Is  there a link? I want to share

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 09:34:20 EST »

all over twitter - announcement on UT Sports site

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:35:17 EST »

http://gridironnow.com/phil-fulmer-introduced-vols-ad-reports-sabotaging-search-inaccurate/
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 09:37:49 EST »

Dave Hooker writes separately on Gridiron Now and lays the wood on Fulmer, buying into the conspiracy theory that Fulmer sabotaged the coaching search.

I don't know that I would completely dismiss the idea, except for this: if Currie was truly Haslam's lackey, and Fulmer was kept at arm's length during the search as a result of that, how was he able to pull off such a coup?
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:39:41 EST »

Dave Hooker writes separately on Gridiron Now and lays the wood on Fulmer, buying into the conspiracy theory that Fulmer sabotaged the coaching search.

I don't know that I would completely dismiss the idea, except for this: if Currie was truly Haslam's lackey, and Fulmer was kept at arm's length during the search as a result of that, how was he able to pull off such a coup?

That would be pretty difficult to do. Fulmer would have to call every coach Currie was talking to and tell them not to take the job. I can't believe that it wouldn't be exposed. But......Fulmer resented Currie for his firing. I wouldn't discount the motivation but only the means.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 09:43:49 EST »

TY

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 10:12:16 EST »

Exactly - how did Fulmer force him to offer Scianno?
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 10:25:47 EST »

They did not mention the big dog, but I guarantee you that Thunder and Charlie Anderson could not have overcome Haslam without the support of Charlie Ergen.

Per gridironnow.com:
Davenport is holding a 4:00 PM ET press conference today on the UT campus to insert Phillip Fulmer, the College Hall of Famer and former national championship-winning coach, atop the athletics program.
The other choice considered to replace Currie per people on campus was Reid Sigmon, Currie’s No. 2 and chief lieutenant. Multiple sources said that Sigmon was backed by Jimmy Haslam while Fulmer possessed resounding support among other constituencies, including boosters John ‘Thunder’ Thornton and Charlie Anderson.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 10:27:05 EST »

I wanted him out in 2008 but I'm glad he's home now. Thank God for Phillip Fulmer..  If nothing else he believes in Tennessee and won't accept the poor mouthing.

His statement had me ready to run through a wall.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 10:32:21 EST »

Same boat, I wanted him gone, but I sure got a warm feeling listening to him and seeing the genuine love for Tennessee. 

I wanted him out in 2008 but I'm glad he's home now. Thank God for Phillip Fulmer..  If nothing else he believes in Tennessee and won't accept the poor mouthing.

His statement had me ready to run through a wall.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 10:51:15 EST »

Best of all...he is absolutely loathed in the whole state of bammer.  If that's not a big bonus, I don't know what is.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 10:58:04 EST »

Same boat, I wanted him gone, but I sure got a warm feeling listening to him and seeing the genuine love for Tennessee.
Yes!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 12:02:57 EST »

Fuller was working for UT President DiPietro. He was directed to observe the coach search early this week. He would have known Currie was on the West Coast & about to hire the Pirate. You could tell Davenport had been instructed to fix this now (i. e., fire Currie or you are gone) and that Fuller was going to be AD now. She was not in the decision loop, but had to deliver the bad news to Currie. If Phil does not micromanage HC, the new one may succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 01:23:59 EST »

Best of all...he is absolutely loathed in the whole state of bammer.  If that's not a big bonus, I don't know what is.   

Several bama & ocryo fans on Twitter were very vocal with disparaging commentary on this move today. I like it! 
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 01:34:59 EST »

Several bama & ocryo fans on Twitter were very vocal with disparaging commentary on this move today. I like it!  

It does bring more Crimson Tide fans' fire back when discussing this series, and that has been seriously lacking. Trust me, especially after last week's game, Crimson passion for the Orange series still won't burn nearly as bright as the one for Orange and Blue, however it will now flame up nicely from it's recent flicker   :)

BG
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 01:57:18 EST »

Well the Vols haven't held up their end of the bargain for sure. Is there a more manic/depressed program than the Barn?  Your team will go through another Dubose, Price, Fifthchoicionne, Shula, RichRod phase I feel sure. Bama never goes this far down but if Bama can turn it after the aforementioned run then the Vols can surely get back to respectability!   
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 02:19:48 EST »

Well the Vols haven't held up their end of the bargain for sure. Is there a more manic/depressed program than the Barn?   Your team will go through another Dubose, Price, Fifthchoicionne, Shula, RichRod phase I feel sure. Bama never goes this far down but if Bama can turn it after the aforementioned run then the Vols can surely get back to respectability!    

It's amazing how much program success is based on timing. We Tide fans were so lucky that Saban wanted back in college football at the same time Alabama was looking for a head coach.

Performance is of course cyclical, but we all hope to keep the downturns to a minimum while having very knowledgeable people in position to make these coaching hires, and of course therein lies the potential problem. Bama certainly had their share of coaching problems, and you guys have recently experienced the same. At the time, while not the homerun you wanted, I personally didn't think the Jones hiring was necessarily bad. The UT hire that floored me and was so surprising was the Dooley choice. That was mind boggling.

BG  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:21:21 EST by BGHarper » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: