VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 02:20:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutcliffe again? Now that Fulmer is AD?  (Read 5757 times)
10EC
« on: December 01, 2017, 10:20:52 EST »

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:25:08 EST »

I'm going to be completely honest, and this is going to piss off most people: there isn't a single person who has coached/played at Tennessee in the past who I can feel good about as a head coach right now. (Okay, there's one...but from all accounts we aren't about to go fishing.)

Unfortunately, I also think there's a greater than 50% chance that we go that route (not Cut necessarily, but someone with strong UT ties).
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:35:52 EST »

For some reason Vol fans hate it but if you can't get the Gruden / Shaw / Petersen / Patterson level of coach, I'm not sure why we couldn't deal with Les Miles / Tee / Steele as a package with Tee ready to take over when Les leaves. I know we want to win championships but that starts by getting back to level with Kentucky, South Carolina, Vandy, Mizzou. Those guys could do that. Tee will recruit like a bastard.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:40:41 EST »

For some reason Vol fans hate it but if you can't get the Gruden / Shaw / Petersen / Patterson level of coach, I'm not sure why we couldn't deal with Les Miles / Tee / Steele as a package with Tee ready to take over when Les leaves. I know we want to win championships but that starts by getting back to level with Kentucky, South Carolina, Vandy, Mizzou. Those guys could do that. Tee will recruit like a bastard.

The problem I see is that Miles would handcuff Tee and Tee would look awful.

Also unsure we could pay Steele enough.

So...who cares who the caretaker is?   Could be Cut just as easily, or someone like Willingham (doubt he'd come though), etc.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:46:15 EST »

The problem I see is that Miles would handcuff Tee and Tee would look awful.

Also unsure we could pay Steele enough.

So...who cares who the caretaker is?   Could be Cut just as easily, or someone like Willingham (doubt he'd come though), etc.

We have the money, even with all this shizzle. Take it out of the renovation budget.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 10:47:26 EST »

We have the money, even with all this shizzle. Take it out of the renovation budget.

Not saying we can't raise the funds, not sure Steele would accept, particularly if Auburn counters.  He's in a very good place at the moment.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:58:44 EST »

Not saying we can't raise the funds, not sure Steele would accept, particularly if Auburn counters.  He's in a very good place at the moment.

Believe it or not, it's sounding more and more like Mahlzan may leave Auburn, especially if they lose tomorrow.  Not sure where that would leave Steele if it happens.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 11:01:38 EST »

Believe it or not, it's sounding more and more like Mahlzan may leave Auburn, especially if they lose tomorrow.  Not sure where that would leave Steele if it happens.

Sounds crazy, but he is likely butt hurt at Auburn for the way they treated him.  He was on the hot seat in spite of coming close to winning it all in his first season. 

But interestingly, his record from 2014-2016 is a smidge worse than Butch's...hee hee.

Butch was 25-14, Malzhan 24-15. 

This season was certainly a discriminator though.   

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 12:38:11 EST »

This search has been so interesting I'm temporarily coming out of my self imposed retirement here. Any who...

You may be right on Malzahn, but his agent is Sexton...

BG
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 12:42:00 EST »

Sounds crazy, but he is likely butt hurt at Auburn for the way they treated him.  He was on the hot seat in spite of coming close to winning it all in his first season. 

But interestingly, his record from 2014-2016 is a smidge worse than Butch's...hee hee.

Butch was 25-14, Malzhan 24-15. 

This season was certainly a discriminator though.   

Similar record, but facing a western division schedule which is a big difference.

BG

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 01:10:31 EST »

IMO if Gus leaves Auburn he's going home to Ark.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 01:14:46 EST »

IMHO, none of this decade long orange downturn would have happened if David Cutcliffe had been named coach when Fulmer was fired.

If memory serves, when he left for the Ole Miss position UT's performance suffered. I would imagine Peyton Manning would agree as he thinks so highly of David Cutcliffe, and he and not Fulmer was the main reason Manning ended up in Knoxville and not Oxford. Well, Culcliffe AND Billy Brewer.

BG
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 02:43:10 EST »

Similar record, but facing a western division schedule which is a big difference.

BG

Exageratwd sense of self worth by the West.

But yeah....Malzahns a force aint he?

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 03:19:19 EST »

Was about to be fired by THE manic/depressive war eagles 😳
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 03:37:38 EST »

He's a bit of a nerd, but a good coach most of the time but as soon as I say that he does another head-scratcher.

BG

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 02:53:34 EST »

I don't this Fulmer is going to go Cut's way with the hire or even Les Miles. I think he wants to make a long-term stamp on this program with this hire and not some 2-3 year patch.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 04:13:17 EST »

I don't this Fulmer is going to go Cut's way with the hire or even Les Miles. I think he wants to make a long-term stamp on this program with this hire and not some 2-3 year patch.

I think this COULD be true but only if he thinks Tee is ready or if he decides that he can stomach Kiffin.

Otherwise, what established coach (or young up and comer for that matter) is Phil going to get that will come in and stabilize things quickly? Maybe there is an NFL guy like Harbaugh that I'm not considering, but we've already taken our run at Brohm, Gundy, and Leach.

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 04:22:28 EST »

As much as I think UT's administration missed when bypassing on Cutcliffe years ago, I agree I doubt he would be the answer now, other than bringing stability to your program.

BG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: