VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 08:48:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guarantano just tweeted this  (Read 4405 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2017, 11:52:36 EST »

Does he know something, or just speculating?

https://twitter.com/BroadwayJay2/status/936715963684319234

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:59:17 EST »

Do. Not. Get. It.

Ten years is long enough. Let’s hire a proven coach for crying out loud.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 12:06:23 EST »

Do. Not. Get. It.

Ten years is long enough. Let’s hire a proven coach for crying out loud.

Well, now that we've hit the reset button, I'm with you.  I think that as of yesterday, Tee was absolutely the best that Currie could've hired.  But now, let's see what Phil can do.  As Phil himself said, maybe some better candidates are open to the position now that weren't before.

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 12:14:47 EST »

I agree to a point,  but there are successful coaches that were coordinators and their first head coaching job was at a SEC school....Fulmer,  Smart for starters... look what Kirby had done in 2 years at GA.  So if no really good coach wants to come here, then give Tee his chance. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 01:12:17 EST »

What did it say....it wouldn't show anything when I clicked on it?
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 01:14:20 EST »

What did it say....it wouldn't show anything when I clicked on it?

It showed three golf tees and a cup of tea.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 02:21:43 EST »

Thanks, droner.
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 05:12:46 EST »

I agree to a point,  but there are successful coaches that were coordinators and their first head coaching job was at a SEC school....Fulmer,  Smart for starters... look what Kirby had done in 2 years at GA.  So if no really good coach wants to come here, then give Tee his chance. 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree that Tee COULD be a successful head coach. Certainly he's an ace recruiter and seems to be at least a decent offensive coordinator. I just think it's a huge gamble. And most coaches who jump to the HC role after being a coordinator have more than two years on the job. With Fulmer, we had the benefit of being able to throw him into the mix for three games with an interim tag to see how he did.

If I'm being honest, I think Tee crashes and burns if he's thrust into a HC role at a major program right now. If worse came to worst, I'd rather hire Healy from Austin-Peay. Seriously. If we go the Tee route, I'd rather he come here as OC and ease into the role. I could get on board with the Cutcliffe idea with Tee as HCIW.
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 05:28:09 EST »

I have been reluctant to weigh into this. I hate legacy coaches because I don't want to harm the legacy. I certainly don't want to bring T. Martin in before he's ready to shoulder the burden. It sours my stomach when we have to deal with legacies as failures. I would love for P. M. to come in here and stay for 30 years and burn it up. I'll be uneasy the whole time wondering when we will have to force them to pasture like Johnny (as if I'm going to be around for 30 more years).
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 05:33:43 EST »

If we go the Tee route, I'd rather he come here as OC and ease into the role.

Agreed.
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 05:45:49 EST »

The thing is, there’s not that many quality coaches left out there that are available, and there’s more competition every day. Having Fulmer as AD adds an element of mentorship not typically available for a HC.
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 05:51:02 EST »

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that Fulmer could serve as a mentor to Tee, but there's no better recipe for disastrous failure than that. You just can't have a "retired" coach (especially one who was a legend at your program) breathing over your shoulder. It isn't gonna work.

If I'm Fulmer, my first call is to Jeff Brohm. I don't understand why we allowed the $5 million buyout to be a hangup after Brohm had said yes. And, besides, it goes down to $4 million next week. So there's that. Brohm certainly wasn't my first choice but I believe he's going to be very successful somewhere.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 05:57:49 EST »

Sorry, Austin Peay is below MAC, and people were ape shizzle about Butch being MAC.  That would never fly.

Next, I saw many conflicting reports on Brohm.  I didn't hear anything about a $5M buyout, I heard $5M a year was what was balked at.  But I don;t think any of us actually know what happened.

I wouldn't mind Brohm, but I think of him as one of "Plan B" guys.  That is, hire whoever now, make it as easy as possible in this day and age to let him go after 3 years, and then monitor the following:

1. Brohm
2. Justin Wilcox (also in first year)
3. Strong (yes...if USF consistently wins big)
4. Clawson...if Wake Forest improves more then consier
5. Norvell....can he do it without Fuentes players?

And for that matter, the buyout on Fuentes might go down.

Bottom line...I see a lot of promising coaches that it's just too early to tell.  Be proactive and plan for the next caoch now.   

You may laugh or scoff and that's fair, but I guarntee you that the Florida AD likely was targeting Mullen from the moment he set foot in Gainsville.  Why else let Mac go in your first year as AD????

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: