VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 07:34:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two things that really bother me..............  (Read 3166 times)
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2017, 04:11:15 EST »

1.  Peyton being solidly in the Schiano camp, which would indicate that he was solidly in the Haslam/Currie camp.  I will always give Peyton the benefit of the doubt, so my hope is that he was making the best of an inevitable situation and trying to shine a positive light to former players and to media like Herbstreit (truthfully, it bothers me that he would communicate with Herbstreit at all). 

2.  Fulmer being in on the interview and signing off on Doeren.  We already fired a coach that was capable of 15-25 in conference, and losing to South Carolina.  I certainly hope his standards are now set considerable higher.

Other than that, I'm good.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 04:15:03 EST »

These things bother me too.

I have been told that Peyton was more trying to unify everyone because he perceived that they were going to hire Schiano no matter what, and that Phil was simply involved in Doeren's interview because someone (Bev or Dipietro) asked him to get involved. Not sure if that's spin or truth.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 05:00:12 EST »

From what I understand, Schiano was a surprise move by Haslam. The way it was related to me, noone on the other side knew that Schiano was really even in play. Is that true, or did I understand incorrectly?
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 05:04:07 EST »

IMO Peyton is pro-Tennessee no matter what the school does. Currie could have picked Attila the Hun and Peyton would have supported him.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 06:05:20 EST »

1.  Peyton REPORTEDLY being solidly in the Schiano camp, which would indicate that he was solidly in the Haslam/Currie camp.  I will always give Peyton the benefit of the doubt, so my hope is that he was making the best of an inevitable situation and trying to shine a positive light to former players and to media like Herbstreit (truthfully, it bothers me that he would communicate with Herbstreit at all). 

2.  Fulmer REPORTEDLY being in on the interview and signing off on Doeren.  We already fired a coach that was capable of 15-25 in conference, and losing to South Carolina.  I certainly hope his standards are now set considerable higher.

Other than that, I'm good.

FIFY

I never followed the Peyton rumors, but the only site to break the "news" on Doeren was footballscoop.com, which in terms of credibility is the equivalent of alien abduction stories and big foot sightings.  I have no doubt Tennessee spoke to Doeren, but I seriously doubt we offered him.  He got an extension shortly after the rumors flowed out.  If anything I think his agent may have leaked false information.

I don't even know what the source was on Peyton.  On the one hand, the story is that it was done entirely in the dark and that Haslem and Currie tried to sneak Schiano past everyone.  On the other hand, we hear that Peyton signed off on it.  So which is it?

I think you can relax, because the items you present above are speculation at best.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 06:18:34 EST »

I agree on Dorean, although I am shocked that you believe that an agent would deliberately mislead anyone.  Agents are among the most honest and honorable people in the world.  Second only to used car salesman at the pay as you drive lot.

Peyton sources pretty solid, I did not see absolute confirmation from former players as widely reported, but Herbstreit published that he was texting with Peyton prior to anything being leaked, and after the reaction began.  Said Peyton had high praise for Schiano.  Again, what I want to believe is that Peyton was just being loyal to Tennessee and trying to shed the most positive light on what he saw as "gonna happen". 

FIFY

I never followed the Peyton rumors, but the only site to break the "news" on Doeren was footballscoop.com, which in terms of credibility is the equivalent of alien abduction stories and big foot sightings.  I have no doubt Tennessee spoke to Doeren, but I seriously doubt we offered him.  He got an extension shortly after the rumors flowed out.  If anything I think his agent may have leaked false information.

I don't even know what the source was on Peyton.  On the one hand, the story is that it was done entirely in the dark and that Haslem and Currie tried to sneak Schiano past everyone.  On the other hand, we hear that Peyton signed off on it.  So which is it?

I think you can relax, because the items you present above are speculation at best.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:30:26 EST by LouisVOL » Logged
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 06:38:58 EST »

Again, what I want to believe is that Peyton was just being loyal to Tennessee and trying to shed the most positive light on what he saw as "gonna happen". 

That's what I believe.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:51:12 EST »

well I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton got on board as you report, still, what is the impact of that? 

Although we all greatly respect and honor Peyton, his relationship to any coaching search is tenuous at best.  He is likely not the only former player consulted, by far, but of course his opinion would carry the most weight of any former player.  But that's all he is.  A former player.  He is neither a member of the BOT nor the AD, and probably in a practical sense has little ability to affect any actual decision.

This will remain true with Fulmer in charge.  I am sure Fulmer will consult Peyton but at the end of the day he will make his own decisions.

In other words, while Peyton is not irrelevant, I don't think his influence even with Fulmer will amount to a hill of beans.  Just MO.

Fulmer may or may not make a good choice.  Fingers crossed...

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 06:56:55 EST »

IMO Peyton is pro-Tennessee no matter what the school does. Currie could have picked Attila the Hun and Peyton would have supported him.

Agee 100%.....A month before Butch was fired Peyton was still publicly supporting him.....Again, publicly
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: