VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 05:03:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever since yesterday's presser...  (Read 5806 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2017, 12:56:51 EST »

...things have gone silent on the coaching search front.  Dead silent.  Quite a contrast from the way Currie was handling things.

I guess we're going to have about a 48 hour dead period here before Gruden announces he's taking the job on MNF.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:35:41 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:04:31 EST »

...things have going silent on the coaching search front.  Dead silent.  Quite a contrast from the way Currie was handling things.

I guess we're going to have about a 48 hour dead period here before Gruden announces he's taking the job on MNF.

Currie was silent also for quite a while.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:25:19 EST »

...things have going silent on the coaching search front.  Dead silent.  Quite a contrast from the way Currie was handling things.

If you believe there were talks with Gruden before the mess of last week (I do), then it stands to reason Fulmer will at least talk to the Gruden camp.  All the drama may have turned him off, and it would be understandable, but we shall see.

Remember this got leaked last Sunday before the Schiano mess:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jon-gruden-talking-to-tennessee-volunteers-about-coaching-vacancy/
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 01:36:32 EST »

If you believe there were talks with Gruden before the mess of last week (I do), then it stands to reason Fulmer will at least talk to the Gruden camp.  All the drama may have turned him off, and it would be understandable, but we shall see.

Remember this got leaked last Sunday before the Schiano mess:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jon-gruden-talking-to-tennessee-volunteers-about-coaching-vacancy/

Oh, did my give you the impression that I was kidding?

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 02:13:05 EST »

Oh, did my give you the impression that I was kidding?

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 03:26:18 EST »

I doubt any candidates have yet been identified. I also think Fulmer has not alienated enough people yet. The anti-Haslam cliche does not have to leak the candidates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 04:25:40 EST »

Just gonna drop this right here.

http://kaantira.blogspot.com/2017/12/count-haslamovich-tennessee-vampire.html

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 05:21:46 EST »

What a well written piece of "fiction".   
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 02:51:30 EST »

If you don't think they are making another run at Gruden, I'm not sure what you're paying attention to. The Les Miles stuff is meant to keep the media focused on something else. (Les is a real candidate but he doesn't have a job; why would you hire that guy before talking to Petersen, Patterson, Shaw, Gruden, and at least giving Bob Stoops a call? Phil took the recruiting test for a reason... he is going to be recruiting for a few weeks.)

Gruden won't take it but it will be a serious run with the AD involved in the discussion, vs. one section of boosters trying to make it happen while another booster and his puppet AD whistle past the graveyard.

Now that I've typed all this... welcome coach Miles!!

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 08:24:42 EST »

If you don't think they are making another run at Gruden, I'm not sure what you're paying attention to. The Les Miles stuff is meant to keep the media focused on something else. (Les is a real candidate but he doesn't have a job; why would you hire that guy before talking to Petersen, Patterson, Shaw, Gruden, and at least giving Bob Stoops a call? Phil took the recruiting test for a reason... he is going to be recruiting for a few weeks.)

Gruden won't take it but it will be a serious run with the AD involved in the discussion, vs. one section of boosters trying to make it happen while another booster and his puppet AD whistle past the graveyard.

Now that I've typed all this... welcome coach Miles!!

Lol

Idiot

Welcome Coach Pruitt! Three weeks ago we would've rioted at the thought, today I'm grateful you want to be here.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 09:54:30 EST »

Lol

Idiot

Welcome Coach Pruitt! Three weeks ago we would've rioted at the thought, today I'm grateful you want to be here.

You got that right! It was reported this morning that 2 days ago Fulmer offered himself the job and he turned it down.
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 09:56:31 EST »

Isn't it amazing how quickly we can wrap our minds around an idea once we're convinced there's no other option?  :big grin:

Once it became clear that our choices were Pruitt, Steele or Tucker, Pruitt seemed like a no-brainer.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 10:41:24 EST »

Isn't it amazing how quickly we can wrap our minds around an idea once we're convinced there's no other option?  :big grin:

Once it became clear that our choices were Pruitt, Steele or Tucker, Pruitt seemed like a no-brainer.

I'm not drinking the kool aid, but I can definitely talk myself into liking the hire enough to see positives. It would've taken me a few days to get there a few weeks ago. I will give him a chance based off gratitude alone.

As it stands I think things worked out OK. No matter what the media thinks, it was time for Tennessee fans to stand up and hold the Athletic Department accountable. Vol Nation spends too much money, time, effort, and emotion to watch Haslem and his idiocy while he plays puppetmaster. Whether you like Fulmer or don't, I believe he hired the available candidate that he thinks gives us the best chance to win so we'll see what happens.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 10:45:31 EST »

I don't see a lot of difference between Pruitt and Tucker.  They have differences to be sure, in their backgrounds, but IMO quality wise they are about the same.

But if nothing else, Pruitt will bring some knowledge of bammer's "recruiting techniques" that might help. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:46:18 EST »

I'm not drinking the kool aid, but I can definitely talk myself into liking the hire enough to see positives. It would've taken me a few days to get there a few weeks ago. I will give him a chance based off gratitude alone.

As it stands I think things worked out OK. No matter what the media thinks, it was time for Tennessee fans to stand up and hold the Athletic Department accountable. Vol Nation spends too much money, time, effort, and emotion to watch Haslem and his idiocy while he plays puppetmaster. Whether you like Fulmer or don't, I believe he hired the available candidate that he thinks gives us the best chance to win so we'll see what happens.

I agree with all of this

11B4PJ3F7
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 02:21:49 EST »

I've actually been hoping for a major program up-and-coming coordinator to be hired.  I'm tired of lower quality head coaches, and I've never cared for retread head coaches from other programs.  I was never excited by the thought of Gruden, and honestly none of the other head coaches thrilled me.  Of course, I'm totally ignorant about college coaches over the past decade or so, so.... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: