VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 12:43:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lot of chatter regarding Pruitt  (Read 11111 times)
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:40:44 EST »

I'm good with him if he is the one

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:47:02 EST »

I'll take him over Steele or Tucker in a heartbeat, if those are the three finalists. It makes me nervous, and there are other coordinators I would rather have, but at least it's a hire I could get excited about. No one can convince me that Tucker could succeed as the head coach at Tennessee, and I just can't support a Steele hire. There's a big difference in a young up-and-comer vs. a career coordinator who's pushing 60 and had a dismal record as a head coach 20 years ago.

With the right staff, I can see Pruitt being successful. If he brings Lupoi with him, all the better. It disappoints me, though, that Fulmer went this route. By not going after a proven head coach, we're playing directly into the national narrative that this job isn't what it once was and that no one wants it. If this hire fails, that narrative is cemented, and perception becomes reality.

I really feel like Tennessee football is at a breaking point.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 08:48:42 EST »

I have no idea how successful he would be as a head coach, but he is both an excellent defensive coordinator and recruiter. I'm sure his toughness would match what Fulmer is looking for. Jeremy P. has a lot of confidence in himself and isn't afraid to disagree with Saban when he thinks he's right. He's style is both a mixture of Saban's and Bill Oliver's. He particularly likes to bring a lot of blitzes, and very much like Oliver, likes quicker players at LB etc. over larger players that Saban in the past preferred.

BG
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:04:40 EST by BGHarper » Logged
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:02:16 EST »

I'll take him over Steele or Tucker in a heartbeat, if those are the three finalists. It makes me nervous, and there are other coordinators I would rather have, but at least it's a hire I could get excited about. No one can convince me that Tucker could succeed as the head coach at Tennessee, and I just can't support a Steele hire. There's a big difference in a young up-and-comer vs. a career coordinator who's pushing 60 and had a dismal record as a head coach 20 years ago.

With the right staff, I can see Pruitt being successful. If he brings Lupoi with him, all the better. It disappoints me, though, that Fulmer went this route. By not going after a proven head coach, we're playing directly into the national narrative that this job isn't what it once was and that no one wants it. If this hire fails, that narrative is cemented, and perception becomes reality.

I really feel like Tennessee football is at a breaking point.

I think it is in the back of everybody's mind... The breaking point, but let's step back from the cliff. We can and should be in the mix. We have a history of being in the mix. I'm confident will return to said mix! 
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:02:56 EST »

I have no idea how successful he would be as a head coach, but he is both an excellent defensive coordinator and recruiter. I'm sure he's toughness would appeal to what Fulmer is looking for. Jeremy P. has a lot of confidence in himself and isn't afraid to disagree with Saban when he thinks he's right. He's style is both a mixture of Saban's and Bill Oliver's style. He particularly likes to bring a lot of blitzes, and very much like Oliver, likes quicker players at LB etc. over larger players that Saban in the past preferred.

BG

Can we poach some kroots? 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:06:11 EST »

It's going to be Pruitt.  Anticipate a presser tomorrow.  This is a big recruiting weekend.  Got to have a head coach and possibly word on coordinators in place by then. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:10:53 EST »

As far as recruits, I sure hope not, but if Pruitt, Tosh and Wright are suddenly at UT there is of course a chance.

Everyone knew Jeremy P. would eventually get a head coaching position so this is no surprise. However, if Tosh leaves that is unexpected as most thought he would take over for JP since he is the co-defensive coordinator.

BG
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:27:19 EST »

Of the 3.....give me Pruitt.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:35:14 EST »

Not excited at all, but hope I'm wrong.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 11:10:17 EST »

Well, this has been fun.  Can't wait to do it again in three years.  In the meantime, I'm going to start scouting the local middle school teams.  By 2020, those coaches should be prime candidates for the UT job.  I'll keep ya'll posted on my findings.

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 12:11:25 EST »

Here's an update:

http://gridironnow.com/tennessee-jeremy-pruitt-continue-moving-toward-hiring-head-coach/

BG

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 12:12:17 EST »

fizzle 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 12:14:43 EST »

fizzle 

Curious. Who did you expect? Who did you want?

BG
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 12:16:36 EST »

FWIW, informative read with very positive review of Pruitt's ability.

http://gridironnow.com/alabamas-jeremy-pruitt-second-call-fsu-makes-replace-fisher/

BG
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 12:20:34 EST »

You bunch of Negative Nellies. (Said with love.)

For years people have been talking about how Pruitt is going to get a head coaching job and how someone would be getting a great coach. Now it looks like we might get him and all of sudden he ain't so hot?

I have no idea how he will do but I can definitely say this: It could be a lot worse. I also say: Get in here and start recruiting. Depending on the assistants this could be good for us. If it isn't it isn't but I'm not going to lay a blanket of pessimism on this guy just as he gets started.

I'm also not laying out pie in the sky here but if he's it, then he's it and we should and have no choice but to back him up.

Love ya, mean it.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 01:07:13 EST »

You bunch of Negative Nellies. (Said with love.)

For years people have been talking about how Pruitt is going to get a head coaching job and how someone would be getting a great coach. Now it looks like we might get him and all of sudden he ain't so hot?

I have no idea how he will do but I can definitely say this: It could be a lot worse. I also say: Get in here and start recruiting. Depending on the assistants this could be good for us. If it isn't it isn't but I'm not going to lay a blanket of pessimism on this guy just as he gets started.

I'm also not laying out pie in the sky here but if he's it, then he's it and we should and have no choice but to back him up.

Love ya, mean it.

We've been through this ritual before.  Probably sometime tomorrow, we're all going to sit down at the dinner table and be served a shizzle sandwich.  Now many in the media will try to convince us that it's really filet mignon- but we can see with our own eyes, and it looks for all the world like a shizzle sandwich.  They'll get guys like Saban, Richt, and Fisher to go on the record and say that it's the most tender, melt-in-your-mouth cut of meat they've ever tried.  VFL films will make a bitchin' hype video.  Then our meal will look up at us from the dinner plate and say how much he LOVES Rocky Top and how he's always wanted to run through the T.  "Why, he GETS it!", many will say.  "He's not a shizzle sandwich at all!  He's one of US!  This is the man to lead us back to the promised land!".

Don't be that guy.  You're only setting yourself up for disappointment.  Again.

Don't get me wrong.  If Pruitt's our coach, I'll stand behind him until he gives me reason not to.  But I fully expect him to give me reason.  My eyes are wide open this time. 

Until proven otherwise, he's a shizzle sandwich in my book.  He can begin to prove otherwise next fall, and not a minute before.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 01:09:53 EST »

Pruitt would be a really good hire, and especially given what has happened here the last couple of weeks.  Don't really know what some folks expect at this point.  Just proves that some fans really don't have much of a clue. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 01:13:36 EST »

Pruitt would be a really good hire, and especially given what has happened here the last couple of weeks.  Don't really know what some folks expect at this point.  Just proves that some fans really don't have much of a clue.  

Oh I agree that given all that's happened, he's probably the best we can get.  As for what I expect?  I expected our administration not to screw up the search in the first place, so we don't have to resort to Plan JJJ. Clearly, that was asking too much.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 01:39:21 EST »

Based on the boards I've been on today of the 3 being mentioned Pruitt gets the nod by a good margin and Steele a distant 3rd. So I fully expect UT to go UT and hire Steele.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 01:42:43 EST »

Based on the boards I've been on today of the 3 being mentioned Pruitt gets the nod by a good margin and Steele a distant 3rd. So I fully expect UT to go UT and hire Steele.

The most UT thing ever would be that we hire Pruitt, he succeeds beyond anyone's wildest dreams in year one, then Saban retires and bammer hires him away after one season.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 01:50:21 EST »

The most UT thing ever would be that we hire Pruitt, he succeeds beyond anyone's wildest dreams in year one, then Saban retires and bammer hires him away after one season.

That isn't far fetched and would have to be considered in the deal if hired which could be a hold up.......And, JMO but I fully expect Bama to give him a good raise and tell him he's the next man up. Whether he is or not.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 01:55:22 EST »

That isn't far fetched and would have to be considered in the deal if hired which could be a hold up.......And, JMO but I fully expect Bama to give him a good raise and tell him he's the next man up. Whether he is or not.

I'm sure their top choice would be Dabo.  But if he says no, and Pruitt does well in Knoxville, he may be plan B.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 02:09:28 EST »

Not sure Dabo will be their next coach.....He's getting close to the same talent....winning championships and playing for it all dang near every year. He has a down year at Clemson he's earned the right to rebound. At Bama they will burn him if he doesn't carry on what Saban left. The ole saying don't be the man that followed the man.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 02:28:00 EST »

Not sure Dabo will be their next coach.....He's getting close to the same talent....winning championships and playing for it all dang near every year. He has a down year at Clemson he's earned the right to rebound. At Bama they will burn him if he doesn't carry on what Saban left. The ole saying don't be the man that followed the man.

I agree he'd be crazy to leave behind what he's built at Clemson.  But he's a bammer alum.  And if they want him bad enough, they'll throw 20 million a year his way.  Their administration, unlike some I can name, actually cares about winning.

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 03:13:43 EST »

Many, if not most, Tide fans know it's very questionable whether Dabo would leave Clemson. He's apparently very happy and he has family to think of. It's something even he probably doesn't yet know. They've put a lot of money into their facilities and into his contract, and that shows they will do most whatever it takes to keep him.

While I know he takes great pride in being part of the '92 national championship team (he came back to this year's 25th  year celebration), this is a business and he has to do what's right for he and his family. No one will know until that time comes.

BG

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: