VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 07:35:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take a spin in the Christmas Wayback Machine...  (Read 4513 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:46:27 EST »

When I was a kid, the season began when the Sears Wishbook arrived in September.  I'd open it from the back (because that's where all the toys were), mark everything I wanted for Christmas, and then spend the next 3 months drooling over it all.  By 12/25, the last 100 pages or so would be faded and torn beyond recognition.  

Here are a bunch of Sears Wishbooks (as well as a few from other retailers) from 1937-1996.  Enjoy.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:48:39 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 05:03:35 EST »

Seems we had similar experiences. Ah the good old days with no responsibilities, no bills, no worries.....I had it good!                
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 05:30:06 EST »

Remember it well. There was a certain item I'd circle every year but Santa never delivered it.

Thanks for posting this!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:39:28 EST by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 07:41:46 EST »

Yes. that was my experience also.  My parents actually gave us a budget though.  I think in my first time of doing this in the early 70s, it was $20.   

That was a lot of money for a 6-year old though.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 08:55:09 EST »

Good stuff.  Does anyone remember the store "Service Merchandise" that used to be in the East Town Mall/Knoxville Center?  For whatever reason that's how we always entered the mall and I remember their toy section vividly.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:05:05 EST »

Good stuff.  Does anyone remember the store "Service Merchandise" that used to be in the East Town Mall/Knoxville Center?  For whatever reason that's how we always entered the mall and I remember their toy section vividly.

Yep.  SM here in Chatt was my go-to for new Atari 2600 games back in the day.  For older games, Zayre's would have them a huge bin full of them right inside the door, all under 5 bucks.  I had amassed quite a game collection by the time the NES came out and rendered them obsolete.

tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 09:26:54 EST »

I use to do the same thing.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 09:41:11 EST »

We use to shop at the Service Merchandise here in West Tn. a lot.....It was first a Montgomery Wards and when they went out SM moved in and stayed in business for several years. IIRC it went out of business in the mid 90's and the building has sat empty since it close.

Thinking back it was a odd way to shop......look at the items on the shelves...write the item number down on a form on a clipboard....Go pay for it and then go to the receiving belt and stand there with all the other folks like people standing and watching the monkey's at the zoo waiting for your box to come down the belt. When they were getting ready to go out of business here they allowed folks to go in and by the stuff right off the shelves like you would at Wal Mart....the place was packed every day until they closed the doors. What a novel idea letting people pick it off the shelves and go pay for it without the 3rd step in the process.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 10:15:40 EST »

That's because the women's underwear models are not for sale---display only.

Remember it well. There was a certain item I'd circle every year but Santa never delivered it.

Thanks for posting this!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 10:58:23 EST »

Yep.  SM here in Chatt was my go-to for new Atari 2600 games back in the day.  For older games, Zayre's would have them a huge bin full of them right inside the door, all under 5 bucks.  I had amassed quite a game collection by the time the NES came out and rendered them obsolete.

Yeah...SM had the best prices on Atari games.  My go to source also.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 11:02:59 EST »

What gave it away? 
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 12:07:13 EST »

Shut the Internet down for the day and deliver it to LV, he owns it for 24 bours

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: