VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 12:58:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THAT'S how you close out a basketball game.*  (Read 5985 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:34:16 EST »

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 08:38:11 EST »

Darn good 2nd half. Guys this team can be real good going forward. Give me a team of players like ours that will be here 3-4 years and play like we do over 5 star one and done all day long.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:07:26 EST »

Barring a complete meltdown in SEC play, we're already in the NCAAT.  I think we can get in going 9-9 in conference, maybe even 8-10.  But I suspect we'll do much better than that.  We're playing for seeding at this point.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 09:08:39 EST »

Hayull yeah!

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 09:14:18 EST »

14 unanswered to close out the game - loving it!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 09:17:16 EST »

Barring a complete meltdown in SEC play, we're already in the NCAAT.  I think we can get in going 9-9 in conference, maybe even 8-10.  But I suspect we'll do much better than that.  We're playing for seeding at this point.

I don't share your enthusiasm.  We have been on the cusp multiple times and overlooked.  And while Weak Forest is ACC and that looks good on the ole resume, they are not ranked currently.

I am also cautious because a trademark of the Barnes seasons has been to do well in stretches...until we don't.  I wouldn't underestimate the SEC schedule, it can be brutal, particularly the road games.

Of course, I am an eternal optimist, but call me cautiously optimistic on this one. 

I am completely thrilled with the way we are playing so far, particularly with a bunch of kids that were not ranked that high in recruiting.  Just shows the value of coaching, and we have a good one.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 09:24:51 EST »

I don't share your enthusiasm.  We have been on the cusp multiple times and overlooked.  And while Weak Forest is ACC and that looks good on the ole resume, they are not ranked currently.

I am also cautious because a trademark of the Barnes seasons has been to do well in stretches...until we don't.  I wouldn't underestimate the SEC schedule, it can be brutal, particularly the road games.

Of course, I am an eternal optimist, but call me cautiously optimistic on this one. 

I am completely thrilled with the way we are playing so far, particularly with a bunch of kids that were not ranked that high in recruiting.  Just shows the value of coaching, and we have a good one.   

The difference this year is the top to bottom strength of the SEC.  Our RPI will be helped more by losing to a middle-of-the-pack SEC team than it was by winning the same game in recent years.  Not to mention that we've played a top 10 OOC schedule and done very well against it.  We would have to totally implode to get shut out of the field at this point.

And WF may not be a great team, or even a decent team for that matter.  But they still play in the ACC, which means that our RPI will be helped by their league schedule as well.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 09:37:26 EST »

The difference this year is the top to bottom strength of the SEC.  Our RPI will be helped more by losing to a middle-of-the-pack SEC team than it was by winning the same game in recent years.  Not to mention that we've played a top 10 OOC schedule and done very well against it.  We would have to totally implode to get shut out of the field at this point.

And WF may not be a great team, or even a decent team for that matter.  But they still play in the ACC, which means that our RPI will be helped by their league schedule as well.

I get it.  I've just had my 9-9 Vol hopes dashed too much recently. Heck, we were 10-8 one year and still got overlooked.  If we are around 500 in SEC play, I won't believe the invite until I see it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 09:49:36 EST »

How many top 25 teams will the Vols have actually beaten by the time conference play begins. Playing them close will not count. I think they should still be in the field of 64. I just don't get real excited about a tourney that has .500 teams playing for a NC until about the Sweet 16.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 03:25:41 EST »

How many top 25 teams will the Vols have actually beaten by the time conference play begins. Playing them close will not count. I think they should still be in the field of 64. I just don't get real excited about a tourney that has .500 teams playing for a NC until about the Sweet 16.

Good grief. It’s good to see that you’re Mr. Miserable even at Christmas.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 03:53:21 EST »

Good grief. It’s good to see that you’re Mr. Miserable even at Christmas.

I hear sad trombones in my head whenever I read one of his posts.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9Jz1TjCphXE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/9Jz1TjCphXE</a>

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 04:28:14 EST »

I hear sad trombones in my head whenever I read one of his posts.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9Jz1TjCphXE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/9Jz1TjCphXE</a>

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 04:30:30 EST »

The only way any 0.500 teams make the tourney is if they play their way in via league tournament.  And it doesn't happen that often.  Usually the worst winning percentage, barring tourney winners, is in the mid 0.600s. 

crack a book sometime.   

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 05:22:12 EST »

Geez...good thing butthurt is not a crime. Would be lots of criminals on this board. Any team with a  half a pulse should make the field of 64. Yet making the NCAA tourney is all a coach has to do to keep his job and make big money. What other profession is mediocrity so lucrative?

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 05:27:15 EST »

Geez... butthurt - What other poster is mediocrity so self profiling
you are & would be an expert

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 06:21:01 EST »

Geez...good thing butthurt is not a crime. Would be lots of criminals on this board. Any team with a  half a pulse should make the field of 64. Yet making the NCAA tourney is all a coach has to do to keep his job and make big money. What other profession is mediocrity so lucrative?

347 D1 basketball schools, 68 make the NCAAT.  That's less than 20%.  But I guess the other 80+% doesn't have half a pulse.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 06:27:19 EST »

But I guess the other 80+% doesn't have half a pulse.
would appear to be more than the poster, given the lack of apparent brain activity ....

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 07:46:14 EST »

Just stating that if you are the 64th seed you did a supposedly good job. 65th and your coaching ability is frowned upon.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 07:47:48 EST »

Just stating that if you are the 64th seed you did a supposedly good job. 65th and your coaching ability is frowned upon.
just stating incredibablynSTUPID you are is what you meant to say

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2017, 08:55:33 EST »

Geez...good thing butthurt is not a crime. Would be lots of criminals on this board.

You seem to be the only one here fitting that description.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: