VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 08:11:08 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One thing I know. UT has NEVER had a coach that would put a freshman in THAT  (Read 8366 times)
SmokeyJoe
« on: January 09, 2018, 06:29:51 EST »

situation. The man can coach. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 06:54:47 EST »

Yeah.  It was a really obvious thing to do though.  Jalen has been the bammer achilles heel for his entire career.  Satan finally got tired of it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 06:58:14 EST »

Can't believe he hasn't started before know.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:12:38 EST »

Can't believe he hasn't started before know.

My opinion, which i have expressed before, is that the locker room has been behind Jalen the entire time. I think this is what led the three QBs to quit last year.

FWIW, my opinion was formed watching his team mates repeatedly gush over him after just about every game last year, when to me he looked very ineffective throwing the ball.  So it's just a hunch, but I've never seen players give so much credit where so little is due, so while it's just a hunch, I think it's a good one. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:37:27 EST »

Six were in on offense at one point in the second half, and these are all true freshman. Tonight they were the difference. Usually they are limited to mop-up duty. Very happy that so many folks got to see them.

BG
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 07:44:19 EST »

My opinion, which i have expressed before, is that the locker room has been behind Jalen the entire time. I think this is what led the three QBs to quit last year.

FWIW, my opinion was formed watching his team mates repeatedly gush over him after just about every game last year, when to me he looked very ineffective throwing the ball.  So it's just a hunch, but I've never seen players give so much credit where so little is due, so while it's just a hunch, I think it's a good one. 

Well, all three that left failed to win the starting position at their new school. They each knew the best they could hope for was back-up duty at Bama.

I do think Saban knew this day was going as the reports from our "insiders" on our boards have said Tua has been extremely impressive in the pre-playoff practices. Even Kiffin reported this week he was told the same by someone on staff.

BG
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 12:21:08 EST »

Six were in on offense at one point in the second half, and these are all true freshman. Tonight they were the difference. Usually they are limited to mop-up duty. Very happy that so many folks got to see them.

BG

I was talking about the qb. Thanks for pointing out all the others 
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 03:21:43 EST »

I was talking about the qb. Thanks for pointing out all the others  

Haha.

One had to play at tackle due to injury, and I believe they put the freshman wideouts and running back in since they are about as good as the starters, and secondly those second team freshmen receivers are who works with Tua day-in and day-out and they seem to have their timing down well. Anyway, very good group of freshmen, and without them Bama loses that game.

BG
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 03:52:55 EST »

1.  He plays to win.   Period.
2.  He answers to Nick Saban only.
3.  As BG points out,  other than the Ridley catch,  most of the game deciding plays were made by true freshmen.
4.  We have already gotten indication that Pruitt will bring the Saban system.   Sure hope he also brings some of
the Saban mentality.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 05:28:19 EST »

Yeah.  It was a really obvious thing to do though.  Jalen has been the bammer achilles heel for his entire career.  Satan finally got tired of it.

What is scary is that the achilles heel is 28-2 as a starter. One stop by the defense last year away from two NC's. He was on pace to win 56+ games in his career. Just think if he was "good".  I can't imagine this team with a QB like D. Watson or Mayfield. Heck, their depth is so good, I bet their second team would be top 10. They have got to decline sometime. Hope Pruitt can put a start to it.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 05:42:13 EST »

But our team has just been so young for the last 5 years ..............................   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 06:18:41 EST »

What is scary is that the achilles heel is 28-2 as a starter. One stop by the defense last year away from two NC's. He was on pace to win 56+ games in his career. Just think if he was "good".  I can't imagine this team with a QB like D. Watson or Mayfield. Heck, their depth is so good, I bet their second team would be top 10. They have got to decline sometime. Hope Pruitt can put a start to it.

Kirby Smart has talked this week how so many SEC staffs now have ex-Saban coaches, and the SEC (Georgia, Auburn?) is narrowing the gap. He readily admits he learned from Nick Saban and does things the way he learned from him. While different personalities play into this, I would expect Pruitt would try to do a "me too" as much as possible. The paradigm has been established.

BG
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 06:55:16 EST »

I just read a crazy stat that is crazy if true: Every player Saban has recruited since 1999 will have won a National Championship. Is that even possible?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 08:20:38 EST »

What is scary is that the achilles heel is 28-2 as a starter. One stop by the defense last year away from two NC's. He was on pace to win 56+ games in his career. Just think if he was "good".  I can't imagine this team with a QB like D. Watson or Mayfield. Heck, their depth is so good, I bet their second team would be top 10. They have got to decline sometime. Hope Pruitt can put a start to it.

Yeah, I know, that's what I was implying.  Jalen has held them back IMO, if you can believe that.  This new QB might make them untouchable next year.

Then again, Tua caught uga off guard.  That won't happen next year, teams will get film on him, and he at any rate is less of a threat to run.  Also, as indicated elsewhere in this thread, the rest of the SEC is catching up.  Bammer was beaten decisively by Auburn, had close calls at MSU and Tamu, and was fortunate...very fortunate...to beat uga last night.

I am unhapply that Jalen is probably finished, but I am not conceding anything to satan next year just yet.   

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 08:36:20 EST »

I just read a crazy stat that is crazy if true: Every player Saban has recruited since 1999 will have won a National Championship. Is that even possible?

Yes. However, remember he did leave the college ranks for two years in '05 and 06. Otherwise, all his recruited classes at both LSU and Bama have at least one national championship ring earned during the four year period. Many players and assistants have more than one ring, including your new head coach.

BG
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 09:06:38 EST »

Well, all three that left failed to win the starting position at their new school. They each knew the best they could hope for was back-up duty at Bama.

I do think Saban knew this day was going as the reports from our "insiders" on our boards have said Tua has been extremely impressive in the pre-playoff practices. Even Kiffin reported this week he was told the same by someone on staff.

BG

Looked it up.  Barnett had to sit out the first four games of this season anyway, while  Bateman had to sit out the entire year.  Cornwell's career was pretty much over with anyway.

I heard the same about Tua from a couple local bammers prior to the game.  It was a well vetted option.  Satan IMO has never been happy with Jalen, but given his enormous popularity with his team mates was stuck with him for a while.  Saban is probably celebrating not having to play the guy anymore almost as much as the NC.  

Oh I forgot to add...who is Jalen going to back up if when he transfers?  Will anyone even want him?   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:09:45 EST by BanditVol » Logged

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 09:27:18 EST »

What is amazing is that the kid would go to Bama instead of a PAC12 school, like most of the Hawaian/Samoan kids do. Just not a typical Bama QB. But he was one of the top recruits in the country his senior year. Bama cheats.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 09:41:40 EST »

What sucks is that Bama has a QB now. Can't imagine them with a high powered offense. Which do you try to stop, their running game or passing game. Hope Pruitt figures it out.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 09:49:32 EST »

Confirmation of what I was saying....

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/lane-kiffin-tua-tagovailoa-wanted-to-leave-alabama-football-dan-patrick-show-video/on4i6728u6vi12oraf73u4p9i

It's very interesting.  I definitely think the locker room just wanted Jalen, and even Satan had to put up with it for a while.  It's too bad Hurts didn't play just a bit better.  Good enough to just barely lose and stick around.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 09:57:40 EST »

Oh I forgot to add...who is Jalen going to back up if when he transfers?  Will anyone even want him?   

What am I saying?  Good chance he will join Kiffin at FAU.  Obvious now that I think about it.  You heard it here first.  Jalen Hurts to FAU!

All kidding aside, it would be very appropriate.  Kiffin had a lot to do with him being the starter to begin with.  The irony....

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 10:57:37 EST »

I will give Hurts some props for showing a lot of class on the sidelines. It had to be tough.

volsboyinsodak
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 12:17:33 EST »

What is amazing is that the kid would go to Bama instead of a PAC12 school, like most of the Hawaian/Samoan kids do. Just not a typical Bama QB. But he was one of the top recruits in the country his senior year. Bama cheats.

If Bama cheats, then so does Pruitt.

BTW, Tua is a very spiritual young man and is a practicing Christian. He went to church with others on the team while on his recruiting visit to Tuscaloosa, and said he felt much more at home in Tuscaloosa with fellow Christians than he did in the much more secular world of glitzy Los Angeles when visiting USC.

BG
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:30:34 EST by BGHarper » Logged
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 12:27:23 EST »

Looked it up.  Barnett had to sit out the first four games of this season anyway, while  Bateman had to sit out the entire year.  Cornwell's career was pretty much over with anyway.

I heard the same about Tua from a couple local bammers prior to the game.  It was a well vetted option.  Satan IMO has never been happy with Jalen, but given his enormous popularity with his team mates was stuck with him for a while.  Saban is probably celebrating not having to play the guy anymore almost as much as the NC.  

Oh I forgot to add...who is Jalen going to back up if when he transfers?  Will anyone even want him?  

Like I said, none of them won the starting job. Best look it up again. Cooper Bateman was a redshirt senior graduate and thus he didn't have to sit a year. He had used his redshirt as a freshman in 2013.

BG

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 08:31:20 EST »

Like I said, none of them won the starting job. Best look it up again. Cooper Bateman was a redshirt senior graduate and thus he didn't have to sit a year. He had used his redshirt as a freshman in 2013.

BG

You are incorrect.  It was Cornwell who had graduated, not Bateman.  Look it up yourself, I'm not your editor.

The fact is, Saban was seriously pissed that Barnett transferred.  He usually doesn't comment on such things and went well beyond his usual stoic non-comments.

http://gridironnow.com/nick-saban-blake-barnett-transfer-comments/2/

https://nypost.com/2017/08/08/ex-alabama-qbs-nick-saban-screwed-us/

But who gives a rip if they started at their new schools or not?  It's obvious that Saban was pissed because he knew that Jalen basically sucks as a passer and wanted Barnett in particular to stay for insurance reasons.  Which is my real point.  What they are doing at their schools now is irrelevant. 

“Obviously, I didn’t expect them to be happy in any way. Them being upset and holding a grudge — that was expected to me,” Barnett said. “The only thing I took offense to is that Saban goes out to media and tried to diminish my reputation for a decision I made that was best for my career individually. It was kind of offensive that he would go out and bash a 20-year-old.

What a classy guy that saban is! 

And congrats to Tua's daddy at getting such a good job in bammer .  He must be mighty skilled at what he does.   

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 04:30:23 EST »

You are incorrect.  It was Cornwell who had graduated, not Bateman.  Look it up yourself, I'm not your editor.

The fact is, Saban was seriously pissed that Barnett transferred.  He usually doesn't comment on such things and went well beyond his usual stoic non-comments.

http://gridironnow.com/nick-saban-blake-barnett-transfer-comments/2/

https://nypost.com/2017/08/08/ex-alabama-qbs-nick-saban-screwed-us/

But who gives a rip if they started at their new schools or not?  It's obvious that Saban was pissed because he knew that Jalen basically sucks as a passer and wanted Barnett in particular to stay for insurance reasons.  Which is my real point.  What they are doing at their schools now is irrelevant. 

“Obviously, I didn’t expect them to be happy in any way. Them being upset and holding a grudge — that was expected to me,” Barnett said. “The only thing I took offense to is that Saban goes out to media and tried to diminish my reputation for a decision I made that was best for my career individually. It was kind of offensive that he would go out and bash a 20-year-old.

What a classy guy that saban is! 

And congrats to Tua's daddy at getting such a good job in bammer .  He must be mighty skilled at what he does.   

You're simply wrong...again. I'm not going to waste anymore of  my time on you.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/report-ex-tide-qb-cooper-bateman-to-switch-positions-at-utah/

BG
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: