VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 04:30:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keith Jackson.....RIP  (Read 6350 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2018, 05:12:41 EST »

Whoa Nelly.....This sucks! RIP.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/keith-jackson-legendary-voice-college-football-dead-8-article-1.3754736
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Caqcei4TQuw
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:48:25 EST by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 07:47:38 EST »

Memorable call by Jackson of Peyton's UT debut:

https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/status/952239813364797441

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 07:57:28 EST »

The greatest.

BG
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 08:05:54 EST »

He used to be my favorite national play by play guy.  But I won't lie: I somewhat resented him ever since ABC made the closing moments of our NC victory all about him and his impending "retirement".  And then he un-retired a couple years later anyway.

But in his prime, he was great.  Not John Ward great, but great.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 08:29:59 EST »

As far as calling the game, maybe the best ever.  As far as impartiality, not so good. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 08:49:31 EST »

He used to be my favorite national play by play guy.  But I won't lie: I somewhat resented him ever since ABC made the closing moments of our NC victory all about him and his impending "retirement".  And then he un-retired a couple years later anyway.

But in his prime, he was great.  Not John Ward great, but great.

Agree and I posted the same thing on TOS about the end of our NC game....that chapped my ass. Like you said.....after that he called Pac 10 games for a few years before actually retiring.

RIP
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 09:47:04 EST »

Intro to The Third Saturday in October.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Caqcei4TQuw

BG
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 12:33:10 EST »

He was always my favorite but I soured on him somewhat when in the SEC Championship Game in Peyton's last year he said that he didn't think Peyton should win the Heisman because "he never beat Florida".

First of all, Peyton didn't play Florida all by himself. Secondly, the Heisman isn't supposed to be a lifetime achievement award.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 12:33:38 EST »

Memorable call by Jackson of Peyton's UT debut:

https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/status/952239813364797441

1986 Sugar Bowl the team coming onto the field was great
https://youtu.be/85Ytztz0czg

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 12:43:32 EST »

Jeff Smith, from MIIILAN Tennessee!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 12:47:52 EST »

I love that they wasted the first five minutes of that broadcast arguing the pros/cons of Miami's NC chances when they inevitably beat us.

I also love that their entire team broke through the Pride's "T" to talk shizzle to our guys as they ran on the field.  Then proceeded over the next 3+ hours to get their punk asses thoroughly kicked.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 01:14:40 EST »

Jeff Smith, from MIIILAN Tennessee!

Coached against him the whole time he was at Milan....Stud....and Ernest Fields...and Kidd.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:51:15 EST »

Coached against him the whole time he was at Milan....Stud....and Ernest Fields...and Kidd.
Love how Jeff Powell blew by and left "world class" speed Blades choking in his exhaust

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 02:12:21 EST »

I about fell out of my seat in the Super Dome when JP broke through the LOS....I told my wife....he gone!
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 05:38:00 EST »

I love that they wasted the first five minutes of that broadcast arguing the pros/cons of Miami's NC chances when they inevitably beat us.

Always enjoyed hearing Bill Anderson recount how he ran into Keith Jackson before the game and Jackson said he just hoped Tennessee kept it close enough to prevent the TV audience from tuning out at halftime.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 08:06:01 EST »

Always enjoyed hearing Bill Anderson recount how he ran into Keith Jackson before the game and Jackson said he just hoped Tennessee kept it close enough to prevent the TV audience from tuning out at halftime.

I taped the game so I could watch it when I got home from New Orleans (just in case we won  ). In the pregame Jackson pretty much said he didn't think we had much of a chance.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 12:52:56 EST »

I had to watch the whole thing on TV, as I didn't make it down there.  The assumption that we would lose was evident and only got worse when they scored the first TD.

Don't forget that Jimmie Johnson had spent the entire month leading up to the game campaigning for the national championship because the Hurricaines had beaten OU, which was playing undefeated and no. 1 Penn State in the Orange Bowl.  OU had one loss in the regular season, as did Miami but Miami had beaten OU in the regular season. 

So yes, very satisfying to smoke their asses the way we did. The coronation was in full after that first TD, but the 35 unanswered points ended it.   

Given that Florida had beaten Miami in the first game of the 1985 season and they got smoked again in 1992 by bammer, one wonders how good their late 80s/early 90s run would have been had they been an SEC team in those years and not independent.

Side note...in 1991, I had a room mate who was an OU grad and the only thing he knew about Tennessee is that we enabled his team to win the NC in 1985.  Had we lost, the pollsters might just have picked Miami.

Anyway...good times.  As often discussed, that 1986 Sugar Bowl definitely helped put Tennessee on the map again.  One wonders/hopes there might be another colossal game like that in our near future.  Lord knows we need it!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 01:03:16 EST »

One other thing....not sure how widely known it is, but OU's QB in 1985 was Troy Aikman, who is from Oklahoma.  Miami broke his ankle during the game, and per my room mate, that's the main reason they won.  Aikman was replaced by Jamelle Holloway, who was better suited to the offense OU ran anyway, so Aikman transferred to USC, where he nearly won a Heisman, then got drafted and the rest, they say, is history.  (-:

My old room mate's best friend played HS ball with Aikman and was a TE/WR.  Said Aikman frequently left red marks on him if he didn't catch the ball in time.  You didn't want to get hit by an Aikman pass in the stomach or back.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 01:48:05 EST »

One other thing....not sure how widely known it is, but OU's QB in 1985 was Troy Aikman, who is from Oklahoma.  Miami broke his ankle during the game, and per my room mate, that's the main reason they won.  Aikman was replaced by Jamelle Holloway, who was better suited to the offense OU ran anyway, so Aikman transferred to USC, where he nearly won a Heisman, then got drafted and the rest, they say, is history.  (-:

My old room mate's best friend played HS ball with Aikman and was a TE/WR.  Said Aikman frequently left red marks on him if he didn't catch the ball in time.  You didn't want to get hit by an Aikman pass in the stomach or back.  

Forgot he started out at OU.....He finished at UCLA IIRC.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 03:33:51 EST »

Forgot he started out at OU.....He finished at UCLA IIRC.

Correct.  I said USC but meant UCLA

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 03:57:38 EST »

So I'm taking a snow day off work today, and since we were talking about this game, I decided to watch it all the way through again.  A couple observations:

1. Someone at ABC Sports decided it would be a good idea to dress all those black kids as plantation owners and put them on a riverboat for the lineup introductions.  I feel somewhat certain that wouldn't fly today.  Clearly, Disney wasn't running the show at ABC just yet.

2. Vinnie Testaverde just loved him some 7 step drops.  We sacked him, what- 8 times?  And those sacks didn't go for just 4-5 yard losses, either.  More like 10-12 yards a pop.  Everytime they looked to have a little momentum, we'd kill it with a big sack.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 04:41:15 EST »

So I'm taking a snow day off work today, and since we were talking about this game, I decided to watch it all the way through again.  A couple observations:

1. Someone at ABC Sports decided it would be a good idea to dress all those black kids as plantation owners and put them on a riverboat for the lineup introductions.  I feel somewhat certain that wouldn't fly today.  Clearly, Disney wasn't running the show at ABC just yet.

2. Vinnie Testaverde just loved him some 7 step drops.  We sacked him, what- 8 times?  And those sacks didn't go for just 4-5 yard losses, either.  More like 10-12 yards a pop.  Everytime they looked to have a little momentum, we'd kill it with a big sack.
I watched it last weekend and kept hearing John Ward's call as I watched the game
Testaverde is SAACCCKKKKEEEEDDDD!!!!!!!! all the way back to the 15 yard line
His call of the Pride opening the T and the team swarming onto the field still brings chills
Man I miss John Ward!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: