VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 10:34:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sucks losing to Cuonzo Martin.  (Read 4032 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2018, 04:05:22 EST »

The Vols need to be more consistent. Hate to say it but this comes down to coaching. Again.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 06:32:35 EST »

Not going to win many games against anybody when your guards shot 2-20. UT walks a fine line of winning and losing and it's pretty much that way every game.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:00:27 EST »

I think that the type of defense that Missouri played is something we are going to see a lot more. Teams that allow Grant to catch the ball on the block are asking for trouble - he can score consistently one-on-one or feed the perimeter. Teams are now starting to quickly double down on the entry, making things much more difficult for GW. Missouri also partially fronted Williams, making the entry itself that much more difficult. If I was coaching against him, he'd never be allowed to catch the ball in the post.

If we can play inside out, we are a decent offensive team. When we play from beyond the arc, not so much.

Our defense was very good - good enough to win. I think that this coaching staff is going to need to develop offensive strategies that will work against the scheme that Mizzou used yesterday. That will not be easily done when perimeter play is as poor as last night. I would like to see more motion and movement off the ball rather than what often seems to me to turn into a 1-on-1 attack by one of our guards, but CRB knows more about the game than I do. I'll trust him.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 07:08:24 EST »

Missouri is one of the top 5 teams in the conference, and this was a tough road game.  Sucks to lose, yes, but would have been an impressive win had we pulled it off.

I'm just glad we beat Tamu while they were still recovering from injury.  That looked like a very tough game preseason.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:15:52 EST »

So is Cuonzo suddenly a good coach?

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 08:54:57 EST »

The Vols need to be more consistent. Hate to say it but this comes down to coaching. Again.

Yep, disappointing loss.  That's 2 road wins we have pissed away.   

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 08:59:02 EST »

Yep, disappointing loss.  That's 2 road wins we have pissed away.   

Plus the home non conference game against North Carolina. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:09:06 EST »

Yep, disappointing loss.  That's 2 road wins we have pissed away.  

We pissed away the win against Arkansas, for sure, as we led most of that game.  Against Mizzou we trailed most of the second half.  I think Mizzou is a better team than Arkasnsas, so I would not say we pissed it away.

I have learned not to underestimate the rest of the SEC.  This team will be fortunate to finish 10-8 in league play IMO.  Still pretty good for a team predicted to finish 13th, and probably good enough to go to the dance.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:01:44 EST by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 01:24:12 EST »

So is Cuonzo suddenly a good coach?

Well, he's suddenly a good recruiter, that's for sure.  The fact that he struggled to land 2 and 3*s in three years at UT and then immediately signed McDonalds All Americans at Cal and Mizzou is...interesting.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:28:42 EST by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 01:27:10 EST »

We pissed away the win against Arkansas, for sure, as we led most of that game.  Against Mizzou we trailed most of the second half.  I think Mizzou is a better team than Arkasnsas, so I would not say we pissed it away.

I have learned not to underestimate the rest of the SEC.  This team will be fortunate to finish 10-8 in league play IMO.  Still pretty good for a team predicted to finish 13th, and probably good enough to go to the dance.

The SEC is as tough as I can ever remember.  Nobody's running through this league with just a loss or two this year.  I think the regular season champ will have at least 4 league losses.  Probably more like 5 or 6. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 07:14:04 EST »

The SEC is as tough as I can ever remember.  Nobody's running through this league with just a loss or two this year.  I think the regular season champ will have at least 4 league losses.  Probably more like 5 or 6. 

Yep.  More strength in the middle than usual.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 05:20:14 EST »

Missouri is one of the top 5 teams in the conference, and this was a tough road game.  Sucks to lose, yes, but would have been an impressive win had we pulled it off.

I'm just glad we beat Tamu while they were still recovering from injury.  That looked like a very tough game preseason.
How many ranked teams does the SEC have? I don't think Mizzou was ranked before the game.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 07:08:01 EST »

How many ranked teams does the SEC have? I don't think Mizzou was ranked before the game.

Voter polls are almost meaningless in basketball. 

Mizzou is rated 26 in this power index, FWIW. 

They have the most highly heralded freshman in the conference in Porter, including all the guys at Kentucky.

They were actually picked sixth, so that's a slight correction.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/10/25/sec-preview-kentucky-alabama-michael-porter

Preseason expectations are that they were a much better team than us and it was on the road.  In spite of which, we almost won.

This is a loss I am alot more okay with than Arkansas or even Auburn.  This would have been a tough win.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: