VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our remaining hoops schedule looks easier (on paper)  (Read 3894 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:17:07 EST »

...though I suspect many of these opponents will be tougher outs than their ratings would suggest.

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Basketball-Analyzing-the-work-No-21-Vols-have-done-have-left-to-do-114029633

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 02:34:34 EST »

What about Holly? What does her remaining schedule look like? Any guaranteed wins left on there? Wait, don't answer. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:52:46 EST »

What about Holly? What does her remaining schedule look like? Any guaranteed wins left on there? Wait, don't answer. 

You could've looked at the LV's schedule back in November and known that this 4 game stretch they just completed would be the real barometer for this team.  They went 1-3, so that's about what I would've expected.  This team will make the S16 again, maybe E8 if there are some upsets in their bracket.  But that's about as far as they'll go.  Again.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:42:26 EST »

LVs would be 0-4 in this stretch if USC's best player had not of been out.

Holly will never get it done....doubt she ever gets to a Final 4 no matter the talent. She just doesn't have it.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 09:32:55 EST »

Let's fire Holly.  And watch the LV's do the same death spiral our football team did.

Sorry count me out on this one until she underachieves a bit more.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:42:21 EST »

Let's fire Holly.  And watch the LV's do the same death spiral our football team did.

Sorry count me out on this one until she underachieves a bit more.   

Sorry, disagree
News flash for you:  Holly already has the Lady Vols in a death spiral

Holly has shown ZERO ability to be a big time coach

No coach is perfect but she is approaching perfection of mediocracy

To me it is VERY clear that Holly must go and must go soon
Though I would prefer a coach from Pat's tree I really don't give a damn as long as he or she rights the ship and returns the Lady Vols back to their winning ways.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 09:48:58 EST »

Sorry, disagree
News flash for you:  Holly already has the Lady Vols in a death spiral

Holly has shown ZERO ability to be a big time coach

No coach is perfect but she is approaching perfection of mediocracy

To me it is VERY clear that Holly must go and must go soon
Though I would prefer a coach from Pat's tree I really don't give a damn as long as he or she rights the ship and returns the Lady Vols back to their winning ways.

Yeah I don't care.  We can agree to disagree on whether Holly should be replaced.

It's definitely not a death spiral at this point.  We are ranked and still favored to win the SEC.  If that's a "death spiral" then I'm Nick Saban.

My point is that her replacement will almost certainly be worse.  It's almost guaranteed.  So until she does more than slightly underachieve, I'm good with her.

And I'm not going along with the flock of sheep that think otherwise. 

I will say this...I rarely watch the LVs.  When I watched a game at the end of last season, they did look lost.  If I watched them a bit more, I might be harsher on Holly.

But the bottom line is that we are still one of the top programs in the country.  I will concede we are not as near the top as we need to be, but IMO firing Holly will make us worse. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:16 EST »

...though I suspect many of these opponents will be tougher outs than their ratings would suggest.

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Basketball-Analyzing-the-work-No-21-Vols-have-done-have-left-to-do-114029633

My guess is 7-4.  We should win our next 3 SEC games vs. Vandy, LSU and Junior, all at home.  Then I see us dropping two in a row to the cats and bammer on the road.  Then I see us splitting the next four 2-2, and closing with a win over Uga at home.

That would make us 11-7 and that would absolutely be enough to go to the dance.

I guess we will see.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 10:31:12 EST »

Yeah I don't care.  We can agree to disagree on whether Holly should be replaced.

It's definitely not a death spiral at this point.  We are ranked and still favored to win the SEC.  If that's a "death spiral" then I'm Nick Saban.

My point is that her replacement will almost certainly be worse.  It's almost guaranteed.  So until she does more than slightly underachieve, I'm good with her.

And I'm not going along with the flock of sheep that think otherwise. 

I will say this...I rarely watch the LVs.  When I watched a game at the end of last season, they did look lost.  If I watched them a bit more, I might be harsher on Holly.

But the bottom line is that we are still one of the top programs in the country.  I will concede we are not as near the top as we need to be, but IMO firing Holly will make us worse. 

We are not even close to being a top 10 program since Holly took over

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 05:14:45 EST »

100% correct! She gets used and abused against good coaches.....Her teams make the same mistakes every game against good competition and she has no offensive coaching skills. UT wins games with talent....not because she out coaches anybody. Folks that watch the games knows this.
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 05:38:25 EST »

Talent is still coming to Tennessee because it's still Tennessee. But there is more parity in women's college basketball now than ever. Players who want to play for a "great" program have more options than ever before...and those options are constantly expanding. Complacency can and will cause the Lady Vols brand to fall by the wayside. Phil is gonna have to show some gonads on this one.

I was willing to give Holly this season to see how she performed with the exceptional class of talent she had coming in (although, if we're being honest, she's been coaching too long to expect her to suddenly turn some mythical corner). As BDV said, this 4-game stretch was always going to define this season. I didn't expect the Lady Vols to win all of them. I would've been okay with 2-2. But the debacles that were the Notre Dame and Mississippi State games have convinced me that she's still the same ol' Holly.

The idea that a new hire will almost certainly be worse than Holly belongs in a bowl of Froot Loops, not in logical discussion.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 11:39:10 EST »

Yeah but top 25 for sure, and certainly close to top 10.  She has made the Elite 8 three of five years.  Elite 8 is literally in the top 10.   

If by not near top 10 you mean our second round exit last year, then I agree. Second round means we are merely in the top 32.  That isn't acceptable.

If, and when, that continues then I will accept that a change is needed.

In the meantime, a change will almost certainly be worse than what we have.

Who knows, this year she might finally make the Final Four with a very young team. 

But ... I know that you have the perfect gift of prophecy, and already "know" there is no way that can happen.   

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 04:47:26 EST »

That's just the problem. Holly wins just enough games in the tourney to keep from getting fired. But she will probably never get to the title. Who do you replace her with to give the LV a better chance of winning titles again? I haven't got a clue to that answer. Hopefully she can out-talent everyone.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 07:34:14 EST »

That's just the problem. Holly wins just enough games in the tourney to keep from getting fired. But she will probably never get to the title. Who do you replace her with to give the LV a better chance of winning titles again? I haven't got a clue to that answer. Hopefully she can out-talent everyone.

Yes, but doing enough is better than actually suxing.  Which is likely what will happen if we fire a coach who routinely makes the Elite 8. And that's exactly right...who would replace her? I guess you could go with a coach that has won at least one NC, and definitely more than one, but if they are winning where they are, why leave?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: