VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 11:41:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The SEC meatgrinder continues  (Read 3586 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2018, 02:47:59 EST »

Last night UGA beat UF, aTm beat Arkansas, and I thought Vandy was going to pull the shocker in Rupp, but of course they Vandy'd it up at the end. 

We're now right in the thick of the race for the SEC title, but someone needs to beat Auburn.  And even if they lose a couple down the stretch, we would probably have to run the table to catch them.  I don't see that happening. 

But a #2 seed in the SECT is a realistic goal.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 03:19:28 EST »

Last night UGA beat UF, aTm beat Arkansas, and I thought Vandy was going to pull the shocker in Rupp, but of course they Vandy'd it up at the end. 

We're now right in the thick of the race for the SEC title, but someone needs to beat Auburn.  And even if they lose a couple down the stretch, we would probably have to run the table to catch them.  I don't see that happening. 

UF's biggest problem is that they seem to be a very perimeter oriented team and if they have an off night shooting....guess what....it's a big fat ole L.  I used to remember that UF played a very in "yer" face go to the paint style under their former Eddie Munster Look Alike Winner coach, but now they seem to be getting more and more perimeter oriented.  Them pulling off the upset in Rupp impressed me, but they seem to be wildly up and down during consecutive games (yes beating Baylor they seemed to be over the hump) but now big ole bad UGA beats them.   Very interesting race in echoing Calislimey's comments the other regarding the SEC this year!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:44:27 EST »

Auburn seems to be a heavy perimeter team too but dang they don't seem to have a off night filling up the basket.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 04:57:56 EST »

It really disappoints me to see Auburn on pace to win the conference. I've always been a Bruce Pearl apologist...until now. The current scandal was the final straw for me. There's no way he didn't know of Chuck Person's involvement and at this point it seems clear that Bruce simply can't help himself. He is a career cheater.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 05:14:09 EST »

It really disappoints me to see Auburn on pace to win the conference. I've always been a Bruce Pearl apologist...until now. The current scandal was the final straw for me. There's no way he didn't know of Chuck Person's involvement and at this point it seems clear that Bruce simply can't help himself. He is a career cheater.

Maybe he's learned from the best in the business to let other people do the dirty stuff then in the end play Sgt. Shultz......I know nothing.....nothing.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 06:12:27 EST »

I can't help it- I still like him.  Faults and all.  His first couple seasons in Knoxville were the most fun I've had rooting for UT sports since...probably the '85 Sugar Vols.  So those teams will always hold a special place in my heart. 

That said, I'll be pulling against him for the rest of this season.  Even when he plays (gag) UK.

10EC
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:54:17 EST »

That said, I'll be pulling against him for the rest of this season.  Even when he plays (gag) UK.

Sometimes I don't know who you are...
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 03:45:07 EST »

The next half of the season will be a lot tougher.  4 of our 6 wins have come from the bottom 3 teams in Conference.  I'm just hoping we can finish the second half 5-4.  If we can avoid those setback games that seem to occur once in a while, we can make a run at the #2 seed, I suppose.  Our non conf schedule just keeps looking better and better.  ISU trounced WVU yesterday and #2 Purdue has won 18 in a row!

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 05:25:36 EST »

The next half of the season will be a lot tougher.  4 of our 6 wins have come from the bottom 3 teams in Conference.  I'm just hoping we can finish the second half 5-4.  If we can avoid those setback games that seem to occur once in a while, we can make a run at the #2 seed, I suppose.  Our non conf schedule just keeps looking better and better.  ISU trounced WVU yesterday and #2 Purdue has won 18 in a row!

Yep.  The final 8 games, with the exception of Ole Miss at home, are all tough.  Second easiest is Uga at home, and while I think we will be comfortably favored, Uga is one of those teams that can get hot on any given night. 

The two Mississippi schools at the end of the season look easy, but are back to back on the road, and given how tough it is to win on the road, I only expect us to split those.

Still...if we hold serve at home the rest of the way and take one of the MS schools on the road, we can be 11-7 as you suggest and if we steal an additional road win, even better.  OTOH, I am not sure we can beat UF at home.

It will be an interesting run for sure.

If we somehow beat UK at Rupp in a week, I might start getting really excited.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 05:37:30 EST »

Yep.  The final 8 games, with the exception of Ole Miss at home, are all tough.  Second easiest is Uga at home, and while I think we will be comfortably favored, Uga is one of those teams that can get hot on any given night. 

The two Mississippi schools at the end of the season look easy, but are back to back on the road, and given how tough it is to win on the road, I only expect us to split those.

Still...if we hold serve at home the rest of the way and take one of the MS schools on the road, we can be 11-7 as you suggest and if we steal an additional road win, even better.  OTOH, I am not sure we can beat UF at home.

It will be an interesting run for sure.

If we somehow beat UK at Rupp in a week, I might start getting really excited.   

I think UF at home should be a pretty good yardstick of just what this team is.  Winning at Rupp will be a tall order.  When is the last time we swept the 'cats???

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: