VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:08:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like no more Smoky Greys  (Read 7010 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:21:30 EST »

http://sportsradioknoxville.com/tennessee-stop-wearing-smokey-grey-jerseys-football/

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:39:47 EST »

I can live with it. In fact, I like the thinking. No gimmicks, great teams.

And the black cleats will probably warm the heart of HerbTarlekVol. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 11:16:09 EST »

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:51:26 EST »

I just want wins.

Also, I hate hype videos.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 05:14:06 EST »

I can live with it. In fact, I like the thinking. No gimmicks, great teams.

And the black cleats will probably warm the heart of HerbTarlekVol. 

Orange, white, black cleats. 

I approve. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 06:35:00 EST »

I really liked them, and so did my kids. "Tradition" is in the eye of the beholder. If the school always stuck with the past, we'd have no checkerboard end zones, no wide orange stripe on helmets, no power T, no Smokey, no Rocky Top, and even no orange jerseys. I don't see any of those as "gimmicks," and I feel the same about the grey uniforms. I liked the black jerseys too, and they're actually more traditional than orange. And, black cleats are "traditional" only because that was the only color made back in the olden days. "Tradition" is much ado about nothing, and depends entirely on how far back one goes. Silly.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 07:12:39 EST »

I've never gotten into what they wear and don't wear......I don't care if they come out wearing pink tutu's as long as they freaking win......And for gosh sakes start beating Vandy like we use to do!!
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 08:31:59 EST »

Interesting that the Lady Vols are wearing Smokey Grey today.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 10:42:21 EST »

Interesting that the Lady Vols are wearing Smokey Grey today.

Yep. I had never seen those before.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:20 EST »

"Tradition" is much ado about nothing, and depends entirely on how far back one goes. Silly.

IMO, that's just not true. You state that traditions are meaningless, yet one of the fundamental factors in uniting a fan base are those same "silly" traditions that most college fans look forward to each year.

IMO, many of those "silly" traditions are what make college football so colorful and different in contrast to the NFL.

BG
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 11:28:26 EST »

IMO, that's just not true. You state that traditions are meaningless, yet one of the fundamental factors in uniting a fan base are those same "silly" traditions that most college fans look forward to each year.

IMO, many of those "silly" traditions are what make college football so colorful and different in contrast to the NFL.

BG

Show me where I said traditions are meaningless. I also never said they were silly.  What is silly -- IN MY OPINION -- is people dismissing the use of the grey uniforms due to tradition.  I love Tennessee's traditions, many of which I mentioned.  But, none of them are "traditions" if one goes back far enough.  Rocky Top started being played in the early 70s; checkerboard end zones started in 1965, then disappeared from 1968 until 1989; running through the T started in 1965; Vol Walk in 1990; Power T is relatively new and followed the block T, which started in 1964; the interlocking UT was used for a long time, even at the 50 yard line, then virtually disappeared due to trademark issues with Texas; etc.  Heck, white cleats were used in the 70s, so why aren't they considered to be traditional?  What's next?  No more checker Neyland, which I consider phenomenal?  Take out the video boards?  Again, the silliness is the unwillingness to accept newer "traditions" based essentially on what one personally views as "tradition."  So, I stand by everything I actually wrote before. What people are calling "tradition" in this context is much ado about nothing. Silly.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 12:44:04 EST »

From Twitter: Jeremy Pruitt on post-NSD recruiting celebrations: “The best PR we got is winning football games in the fall. ... I probably need to spend most of my time on the things that's gonna help us win football games."  Emphasis added.

Well said, coach. I assume you mean things like uniform colors.   Sorry, couldn't resist. 
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 01:10:15 EST »

Show me where I said traditions are meaningless. I also never said they were silly.  What is silly -- IN MY OPINION -- is people dismissing the use of the grey uniforms due to tradition.  I love Tennessee's traditions, many of which I mentioned.  But, none of them are "traditions" if one goes back far enough.  Rocky Top started being played in the early 70s; checkerboard end zones started in 1965, then disappeared from 1968 until 1989; running through the T started in 1965; Vol Walk in 1990; Power T is relatively new and followed the block T, which started in 1964; the interlocking UT was used for a long time, even at the 50 yard line, then virtually disappeared due to trademark issues with Texas; etc.  Heck, white cleats were used in the 70s, so why aren't they considered to be traditional?  What's next?  No more checker Neyland, which I consider phenomenal?  Take out the video boards?  Again, the silliness is the unwillingness to accept newer "traditions" based essentially on what one personally views as "tradition."  So, I stand by everything I actually wrote before. What people are calling "tradition" in this context is much ado about nothing. Silly.

Due to your clarification, the only difference I now have regards semantics, and I assume you too would agree that's not worth debating.

BTW, as a young teen I was in Neyland in '72 when Rocky Top was first played.  That was an incredible game, and one of my personal favorites.

BG
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 05:03:01 EST »

I really liked them, and so did my kids. "Tradition" is in the eye of the beholder. If the school always stuck with the past, we'd have no checkerboard end zones, no wide orange stripe on helmets, no power T, no Smokey, no Rocky Top, and even no orange jerseys. I don't see any of those as "gimmicks," and I feel the same about the grey uniforms. I liked the black jerseys too, and they're actually more traditional than orange. And, black cleats are "traditional" only because that was the only color made back in the olden days. "Tradition" is much ado about nothing, and depends entirely on how far back one goes. Silly.

I'm with you on this TRO.  I liked the gray uniforms, and we usually....though not always...played well in them.  Would like to see them again, but oh well.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 10:26:24 EST »

I think we will see the Smokey Greys back one day. I think Pruitt, at this point, sees the alternate uniforms as a gimmick that great teams don't use. When he brings the program back I wouldn't be surprised if they were used in a game. But for now he wants to establish the basics.

We could use it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: