VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 01:11:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seems very quiet on the recruiting front  (Read 1758 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2018, 06:53:39 EST »

Hoping no news is good news 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:01:56 EST »

Been quiet since the early signing period back in Dec. I don't follow recruiting hardly at all, I just look who signed on the dotted line when it's over. I just don't put much faith in these 17-18 year old look at me types and put little faith in their early commits.

Based on what I've read on boards the past several days from the people that follow and get into recruiting and what they have posted the past week it doesn't look as promising as it seemed 3-4 weeks ago......Coming off the worst season in UT history I'm sure it's hard to get big time recruits excited about us when the Big Dogs that have actually done something of late are recruiting those same kids too. I can see us not recruiting real well this class on the offensive side of the ball with Pruitt being a defensive coach.....But if Pruitt strikes out on the defensive side with kids he's been recruiting and formed relationships with the past 2 plus  years then IMO that will be concerning. I'm going to be interested to see what the Peterson kid from Georgia does tomorrow.....we offered him and he committed to us when no other big time program was giving him a sniff and now after his visit to FSU last weekend several gurus are saying he's headed to FSU and not UT?.  Based on what I've read on some boards we are looking at a class ranked in the 15-22 range. Can't live and compete in the top half of the SEC with classes like that going forward.

Here's hoping for some surprises tomorrow.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:28:40 EST by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:11:57 EST »

Been quiet since the early signing period back in Dec. I don't follow recruiting hardly at all, I just look who signed on the dotted line when it's over. I just don't put much faith in these 17-18 year old look at me types and put little faith in their early commits.

Based on what I've read on boards the past several days from the people that follow and get into recruiting and what they have posted the past week it doesn't look as promising as it seemed 3-4 weeks ago......Coming off the worst season in UT history I'm sure it's hard to get big time recruits excited about us when the Big Dogs that have actually done something of late are recruiting those same kids too. I can see us not recruiting real well this class on the offensive side of the ball with Pruitt being a defensive coach.....But if Pruitt strikes out on the defensive side with kids he's been recruiting and formed relationships with the past 2 plus  years then IMO that will be concerning. I'm going to be interested to see what the Peterson kid from Georgia does tomorrow.....we offered him and he committed to us when no other big time program was giving him a sniff and now after his visit to FSU last weekend several gurus are saying he's headed to FSU and not UT?.  Based on what I've read on some boards we are looking at a class ranked in the 15-22 range. Can't live and compete in the top half of the SEC with classes like that going forward.

Here's hoping for some surprises tomorrow.

Generally the first recruiting class for a new coach is weak.  The Vols may just have to take their lumps at this point.  Going forward, we need to consistently be in the top 10.  15th would still be a pleasant surprise at this point. The only thing in our favor is we still have a lot of schollies to give.  That will only help if we don't fill them out with 2/3 star types though.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:27:03 EST »

kids are not well coached and the game plan sucks then you are not going to win. I want to see kids developed and game plans that demonstrate that someone sat down and actually watched film on the weekly opponent and devised a plan to exploit their weaknesses and play to our strengths.                                    
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 09:39:47 EST »

kids are not well coached and the game plan sucks then you are not going to win. I want to see kids developed and game plans that demonstrate that someone sat down and actually watched film on the weekly opponent and devised a plan to exploit their weaknesses and play to our strengths.                                    

Yeah.  This part has to improve, it can't possibly get worse.  I am confident that it will for the defense.  Offense I am wait and see.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: