VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 01:15:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, today could've gone better...  (Read 3663 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2018, 10:10:55 EST »

We held on to Peterson (and the ITS announcement is still to come) so it's not QUITE the worst-case scenario...but it's close.

Hopefully Pruitt and staff will learn from this.  Knocking it out of the park a year from today is not an option.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:30:16 EST »

Got some good ones and some real good JUCOs in the early period and added a few good ones today.....Just hard to come off our worst season in school history.....a CLOWN that dang near destroyed our program going out the door and the cluster of a coaching search and get recruits excited about us right now. Hopefully Pruitt can show a lot of improvement this season and get things and recruiting in the right direction in 2019.

Emmitt Gooden has just signed and he was a 4 star DL here in West Tn. that had to go to JUCO out of high school.....He can be a real good one if he's got his grades in order.....He was recruited by several big time programs but backed off his senior year because of grades....UT was one of them.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:55:19 EST »

I have read that we are only going to take 22 or 23.  That may be due to having to back count some to last year, but it also may be that Pruitt is saving a few for next year.  So it at least creates the possibility of a monster 27-28 man class next year.   

Traditionally the first full year of recruiting for a new HC is a really good one.  Hope that's true for us.

This year's class is not great, but could have been worse also.  Pruitt personally flipped Petersen and a really good JUCO from bammer, and may have just missed on a couple others.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 11:06:55 EST »

We are standing at 20
Pruitt says they are still in the recruiting cycle so there is that

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 12:36:02 EST »

We held on to Peterson (and the ITS announcement is still to come) so it's not QUITE the worst-case scenario...but it's close.

Hopefully Pruitt and staff will learn from this.  Knocking it out of the park a year from today is not an option.

I thought they did pretty good. Walker & Copeland were a couple of a$$hats. Until I see Saban’s model duplicated I won’t believe in Georgia... how many times has UT had great classes & attrition or busts took a toll? I thought there were nice gets at all positions. I won’t list them. We all know who they are.  For ONCE I hope a UT coach will actually coach them up. Take some calculated risks & not rely entirely on statistical probability or charts! The schedule is brutal next year. Two runs up the centers ass & a 3 yd pass ain’t gonna get it done. I personally think our D can keep us close in most games. We shall see.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 12:59:44 EST »

Actually the walker diss stings the most. I thought he & Peterson could be a dynamic freshman duo at the weakest position of need. Frankly could care less about Copeland. Alontae Taylor is a nice get.  Good gets on DL & OL. DB? Meh, but the Norwood kid is said to be a diamond in the rough. A nice running back to go with the 3 we have, and a good qb imo.  There is existing talent on the roster! I’m ready to see some pleasant surprises as a result of good coaching/conditioning rather than a disproportionate number of busts!  
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:01:51 EST by SmokeyJoe » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 06:00:59 EST »

Here's something on Copeland

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/3/19/14974870/jacob-copeland-recruit-florida-tennessee-mom-ceremony

Sounds like it was a tough decision, but that had he not been a gator, he'd be a tider.  So lose lose either way.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 07:34:08 EST »

I'm not concerned that they didn't fill up this class. I'm convinced they could have had they wanted to. Let's hope they decided to shore up the talent on hand. And will make significant inroads to next years class.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 03:32:59 EST »

I know a lot of fans are dissapointed, but we are coming off 4-8/0-8. That was a disaster, this class is not a disaster.  We all wish it could have been better, but we are not exactly a hot program right now. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 08:55:08 EST »

I know a lot of fans are dissapointed, but we are coming off 4-8/0-8. That was a disaster, this class is not a disaster.  We all wish it could have been better, but we are not exactly a hot program right now. 

agreed, and there's a good chance that we'll take a lot of licks next year too and make matters worse. We play both the teams that played in the NC, Florida seems to be recovering quite well and USC is getting a bit more consistent. The Butch smoke and mirrors caused a good deal of damage

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 09:00:08 EST »

agreed, and there's a good chance that we'll take a lot of licks next year too and make matters worse. We play both the teams that played in the NC, Florida seems to be recovering quite well and USC is getting a bit more consistent. The Butch smoke and mirrors caused a good deal of damage

I know Butch is a favorite target, and he clearly wasn't the long term answer. But he was still light years better than Dooley. 

Butch was mediocre, Dooley flat out sucked.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 09:03:16 EST »

I know Butch is a favorite target, and he clearly wasn't the long term answer. But he was still light years better than Dooley. 

Butch was mediocre, Dooley flat out sucked.

While he had some memorable moments, Butch was a bad hire.

11B4PJ3F7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: