VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 02:35:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holly breaks another record  (Read 8033 times)
Evol Knievol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2018, 09:58:51 EDT »

First NCAA tourny loss at home. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 10:01:14 EDT »

First NCAA tourny loss at home. 
My opinion with regards to Holy has only intensified 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:47:26 EDT »

Actually 2 records.....Oregon State had never beaten UT until today.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:04:21 EDT »

And....this is the first time they have missed the Sweet 16 two years in a row.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 11:40:23 EDT »

It's time.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 11:43:50 EDT »

Looks like whatever momentum was left over from the end of Pat's tenure - during which she was not 100% anyway - is about gone. 

I think Phil is going to take his time replacing Holly though.  But will he, or can he, find someone better?  I hope so.  We were the UCLA of the women's program until that douche in Connecticut came along.  We need to get back to that, and that inclues routinely beating UConn in the tourney.

I wonder if Coach Knight wants to come out of retirement?   

Seriously though...he would whip them in shape, for sure.  but might also punch a lady player.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 12:35:17 EDT »

And....this is the first time they have missed the Sweet 16 two years in a row.

Yep....Just saw this on ESPN. So make that 3 records Holly broke in 1 day.

"It's the second straight season that Tennessee lost in the second round of the NCAAs and will miss the Sweet 16 in back-to-back seasons for the first time in the program's 37-year tournament history."
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 02:16:19 EDT »

Looks like whatever momentum was left over from the end of Pat's tenure - during which she was not 100% anyway - is about gone. 

I think Phil is going to take his time replacing Holly though.  But will he, or can he, find someone better?  I hope so.  We were the UCLA of the women's program until that douche in Connecticut came along.  We need to get back to that, and that inclues routinely beating UConn in the tourney.

I wonder if Coach Knight wants to come out of retirement?   

Seriously though...he would whip them in shape, for sure.  but might also punch a lady player.   

Would you say it's a more attractive job now than when Holly took over?  I mean, I could see how some candidates wouldn't have wanted to follow Pat.

Do they look outside the LV family?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 02:18:58 EDT »

Would you say it's a more attractive job now than when Holly took over?  I mean, I could see how some candidates wouldn't have wanted to follow Pat.

She's obviously not a candidate for UT right now (seeing as she's still playing), but Candace Parker has impressed me in her analyst role this week. She may have a coaching career in her future.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 03:20:57 EDT »

When it's all said and done, Holly might have as many records as Pat. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 03:57:32 EDT »

JMO.....But I actually believe Pat wanted Holly to take over the program as a caretaker of the program until Tyler was ready to come and coach at the school that has his Mothers name on it....And of course he royally screwed that up. I don't think Pat wanted the chance that UT would hire a successful coach that would win big and be at UT for years because it would upset the Tyler to take over the program applecart. I can't believe that Pat Summitt knew or thought Holly would be the best fit for the program......If Pat wanted the best coach why didn't she recommend Mickey DeMoss.....DeMoss sat next to Pat for years Holly didn't.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 04:22:58 EDT »

I don't remember the year he left but the I don't the program has been the same since Al Brown left. Maybe it's just a coincidence but even Pat's last years weren't great.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 04:28:09 EDT »

I don't remember the year he left but the I don't the program has been the same since Al Brown left. Maybe it's just a coincidence but even Pat's last years weren't great.

You are 100% correct.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 06:18:19 EDT »

I looked it up.  he left in 2002.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 06:21:27 EDT »

I hadn't thought about it, but yes, it probably is more attractive now. 

I say we look for the best coach possible if Fulmer decides to make a change.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 12:57:37 EDT »

I appreciate what Holly has done as an athlete and coach. Phil needs to take his time and get a replacement,  regardless of connection to the program.

Here's the deal with women's sports: not nearly as many women play. That means there aren't many players. One program can corner the market. Do that, and you're unstoppable.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 08:36:53 EDT »

I think we need to acknowledge an uncomfortable possibility: Pat's condition, and subsequently the program's downfall, began a lot earlier than we think. I think she was coaching the LV's in a diminished mental state long before anyone knew- probably even Pat herself. Look how fast her condition deteriorated as soon as she made the announcement.  Alzheimer's doesn't work THAT fast. Even when she was still winning NCs with those uber-talented Parker-led teams, I remember thinking that she didn't look as animated or engaged on the sidelines as she used to. At the time, I just chalked it up to her mellowing with age. Now, I'm not so sure.

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 08:55:28 EDT »

I think we need to acknowledge an uncomfortable possibility: Pat's condition, and subsequently the program's downfall, began a lot earlier than we think. I think she was coaching the LV's in a diminished mental state long before anyone knew- probably even Pat herself. Look how fast her condition deteriorated as soon as she made the announcement.  Alzheimer's doesn't work THAT fast. Even when she was still winning NCs with those uber-talented Parker-led teams, I remember thinking that she didn't look as animated or engaged on the sidelines as she used to. At the time, I just chalked it up to her mellowing with age. Now, I'm not so sure.

I agree.  My father had dementia, and looking back there were signs even before any of us realized that there was an issue.  Very subtle clues were there, but went unrecognized for several years before the realization struck that he was having real issues.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 09:42:26 EDT »

Completely agree with that -- but the fact is that Holly is recruiting lights out, but has not developed that talent, IMO.   As much as some of our freshmen have played this year....they should be seasoned by now and not making the mistakes they continue to make.    Their first quarter yesterday started off great -- why they stop doing what's working, I have no idea.   I may be just a dummy.....but that's how I see it.   Anyway, I don't think Fulmer will do anything about Holly for a while longer, which is sad.  But I have a major issue with her calling out the fans and acting like it's directed toward the players -- hell, it's ALL directed at her....period.  Time for Holly to go!

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 09:59:37 EDT »

Completely agree with that -- but the fact is that Holly is recruiting lights out, but has not developed that talent, IMO.   As much as some of our freshmen have played this year....they should be seasoned by now and not making the mistakes they continue to make.    Their first quarter yesterday started off great -- why they stop doing what's working, I have no idea.   I may be just a dummy.....but that's how I see it.   Anyway, I don't think Fulmer will do anything about Holly for a while longer, which is sad.  But I have a major issue with her calling out the fans and acting like it's directed toward the players -- hell, it's ALL directed at her....period.  Time for Holly to go!

Good post and agree......What happened yesterday that sent us into the tank is they went to a zone defense and WE DO NOT have a clue how to attack a zone except dribble around the 3 point line and then fire up a brick. This has been a issue for at least 3 years and why that coach for OSU started out in a man defense yesterday is a real head scratcher......Teams that beat us has figured this out and play us a zone. If that OSU coach had looked at any tape at all he would have known that......And in fine UT fashion when something positive happens it turns into a negative for us.....The reason they went to a zone yesterday is because their big post player got 2 quick fouls and he went to a zone to protect her....It protected her and got our butts beat in the process.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 10:07:15 EDT »

Completely agree with that -- but the fact is that Holly is recruiting lights out, but has not developed that talent, IMO.   As much as some of our freshmen have played this year....they should be seasoned by now and not making the mistakes they continue to make.    Their first quarter yesterday started off great -- why they stop doing what's working, I have no idea.   I may be just a dummy.....but that's how I see it.   Anyway, I don't think Fulmer will do anything about Holly for a while longer, which is sad.  But I have a major issue with her calling out the fans and acting like it's directed toward the players -- hell, it's ALL directed at her....period.  Time for Holly to go!
So Butch 2.0

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 10:08:42 EDT »

Oh, in no way was I trying to make excuses for Holly. This long downturn may have begun under Pat, but it has only accelerated under her successor. It's past time to make a change.

BTW, my first call would go to this guy:

http://gocards.com/coaches.aspx?rc=487&path=wbball

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 11:54:28 EDT »

I understood BDV'S post to be more about why the last few years under Pat may not have been topical for her teams.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, BDV.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 12:53:25 EDT »

BTW, my first call would go to this guy:

http://gocards.com/coaches.aspx?rc=487&path=wbball

I agree with this. I think the first look would be to Matthew Mitchell at Kentucky but I would pass. Something is off at Kentucky. They had several players leave in the last two years and it doesn't smell right.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 01:46:07 EDT »

I agree with this. I think the first look would be to Matthew Mitchell at Kentucky but I would pass. Something is off at Kentucky. They had several players leave in the last two years and it doesn't smell right.

I was really high on Mitchell up until a couple years ago. His stock has definitely fallen.

We're still one of the two marquee names in the sport. I would think we can get most anyone we want, within reason (i.e., anyone but Geno).

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: