VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 01:21:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holly breaks another record  (Read 8032 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 02:21:13 EDT »

IMO the issue is I doubt we'd pay top dollar for some of the top coaches....Mulkey makes around 1.6 million....about the same for the ND coach...Guy at Louisville is around $900,000 and Holly is at $650,000. Don't see the Louisville coach coming for less than 1 point something million. He has built the Louisville program from pretty much the ground up....has good facilities and the attendance is now about the same as UT since they have dropped so much with Holly and her clown show. We are paying Butch to not coach and Currie to not be the AD so I'm not sure UT will pony up for a women's BB coach and a program that lost 2 million dollars last year.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 03:54:29 EDT »

IMO the issue is I doubt we'd pay top dollar for some of the top coaches....Mulkey makes around 1.6 million....about the same for the ND coach...Guy at Louisville is around $900,000 and Holly is at $650,000. Don't see the Louisville coach coming for less than 1 point something million. He has built the Louisville program from pretty much the ground up....has good facilities and the attendance is now about the same as UT since they have dropped so much with Holly and her clown show. We are paying Butch to not coach and Currie to not be the AD so I'm not sure UT will pony up for a women's BB coach and a program that lost 2 million dollars last year.

Our program has been one of the most profitable in the NCAA the last 2-3 years.

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2017/07/15/tennessee-was-most-profitable-sec-football-program-last-year/

$80 million profit in 2016...we owe Butch $8.2 million.  Still way ahead.   

Also Currie is likely to settle

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2018/03/04/ut-vols-tennessee-football-john-currie-phil-fulmer-butch-jones-fired-suspended-ad-settlement/358869002/

Bottom line...UT can afford to pay for coaches right now, and it would be a good investment in the future.  If we can't open the bank up a bit for the Lady's basketball program, then we need to just fold up shop.  We owe that to Pat.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 04:53:54 EDT »

Don't see UT paying a coach a million plus on a program that's losing 2 million.....Ticket sales and donations are down and a lot of that has to do with TV contracts and most games being on TV and people staying home and watching rather than going....I had season football tickets for years when UT wasn't on TV much....when most and now all games are on TV I gave the tickets up in 1996 and haven't looked back.....Also a lot of the LVs fandom was because of Pat....people watched because of Pat. When she was not longer there they pretty much went away with her. I know several here including my Mom and Dad when my Dad was still living never missed a LVs game on TV when Pat was coaching....After Pat stepped down they stopped watching and till this day I have to tell my Mom if they won or lost because she doesn't keep up with them anymore. You'd be surprised how many others did the same after Pat was no longer coaching.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:14:02 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 05:45:01 EDT »

Don't see UT paying a coach a million plus on a program that's losing 2 million.....Ticket sales and donations are down and a lot of that has to do with TV contracts and most games being on TV and people staying home and watching rather than going....I had season football tickets for years when UT wasn't on TV much....when most and now all games are on TV I gave the tickets up in 1996 and haven't looked back.....Also a lot of the LVs fandom was because of Pat....people watched because of Pat. When she was not longer there they pretty much went away with her. I know several here including my Mom and Dad when my Dad was still living never missed a LVs game on TV when Pat was coaching....After Pat stepped down they stopped watching and till this day I have to tell my Mom if they won or lost because she doesn't keep up with them anymore. You'd be surprised how many others did the same after Pat was no longer coaching.

I don't doubt it, but it goes beyond the money.  It's a matter of pride. We were THE Lady's program for many years, and we should maintain that tradition.

I think that when Pat was here, we did make a small amount from the Lady's team, but that was exceptional. I am pretty sure that the great majority of women's basketball programs are financial losers.  U Conn is probably one exception.  There may not be any others.

Bottom line...it's not about money with the Lady Vols basketball program.  Or it shouldn't be. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 05:02:24 EDT »

This LV team has a lot of talent. But it doesn't have that one great player that is capable of winning the National player of the year award. The last player of that caliber was Candace Parker. The best LV teams always had that POY player or two like Holdsclaw and Catchings and then Parker. There have been no great players since Parker. Look at all the championship contenders at other schools since Parker left. Most of them have that POY candidate, teams like UConn, Baylor, SCar and Miss St. Vols haven't had that. I saw that in the SECT game against SCar. Aja Wilson would go out and the Vols would climb back in the game. Put her back in and they increased the led again right away. They would have had two more regular season losses if she had played in either of their games against the Vols. she missed them both. Put that on top of Holly not being able to coach X's and O's or motivate a team and we are where we are at now.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 05:18:23 EDT »

This LV team has a lot of talent. But it doesn't have that one great player that is capable of winning the National player of the year award. The last player of that caliber was Candace Parker. The best LV teams always had that POY player or two like Holdsclaw and Catchings and then Parker. There have been no great players since Parker. Look at all the championship contenders at other schools since Parker left. Most of them have that POY candidate, teams like UConn, Baylor, SCar and Miss St. Vols haven't had that. I saw that in the SECT game against SCar. Aja Wilson would go out and the Vols would climb back in the game. Put her back in and they increased the led again right away. They would have had two more regular season losses if she had played in either of their games against the Vols. she missed them both. Put that on top of Holly not being able to coach X's and O's or motivate a team and we are where we are at now.

You are 100% correct and I've said the same going back to Pat's last few years.....For years we had that one dominate player that could create their own offense and put the team on their back....we haven't had that player for years now. When's the last time you remember a UConn that didn't have that player that could get them 25-30 points per game and the same for the other top programs such as ND...Baylor....Miss State...USC. We recruit a top class last season full of Mac D All-Americans and we can't shoot for crap and miss layups by the dozens. Unreal.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: