VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 10:51:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well there you have it....  (Read 5375 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2018, 10:01:09 EDT »

Are there any good Lady Vols streaks left other than making the tournament every year?

It seems like all of the positive streaks have been broken.

There may have been worse but this team's offense is the worst I can remenber.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 10:01:56 EDT »

Are there any good Lady Vols streaks left other than making the tournament every year?

It seems like all of the positive streaks have been broken.

There may have been worse but this team's offense is the worst I can remenber.

Give Holly another year and that one may end

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 10:14:14 EDT »

This is where we find out if Fulmer is just a "feel good" guy keeping the AD's chair warm, or if he's actually capable of doing the job. I know it's a hard decision for him- he's known Holly for decades. But if he thinks he can do this job without making any hard decisions then he's going see this fanbase, which has been overwhelmingly supportive of him so far, turn on him in a hurry.

Evol Knievol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:30:38 EDT »

I don't see Fulmer making the move. His achilles heel is his loyalty. That's what took him down as a coach but we can hope he steps up makes the call. If not the Lady Vols will only slide further.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 10:46:29 EDT »

If....(IF) Holly had one ounce of pride she's resign. She will never be more that what she already is and the LVs will be no better than they are now....Got a feeling our Oregon pipeline just went out of the window too. Why travel across country to play for a bad coached team when you can stay at home and get better coaching on a better team.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 11:40:14 EDT »

Does Fulmer have the moxie to line up a top notch replacement?  If there's a coach out there, that for whatever reason, is "can't miss", then he should go for it.

Something tells me he isn't paying that much attention though.   

My guess is, he likely stays with Holly another year, maybe two or three.  It could get really ugly.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 09:43:36 EDT »

I don't see Fulmer making the move. His achilles heel is his loyalty. That's what took him down as a coach but we can hope he steps up makes the call. If not the Lady Vols will only slide further.

THIS!  Exactly what I'm thinking..

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:05 EDT »

I have to walk back what I said a bit.  Fulmer tweeted props to the Lady Vols swim team, who apparently exceeded expectations at Nationals and finished 7th.  So he is paying attention to all the sports.

https://twitter.com/phillipfulmer/status/975416406505385985

So he is paying attention.  And if you scroll down past the first few comments, it's all Vol fans begging him to fire Holly.  Fulmer seems like a stubborn guy, so I don't know if that would actually affect his decision, but he at least knows folks are upset.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 01:56:17 EDT »

I have to walk back what I said a bit.  Fulmer tweeted props to the Lady Vols swim team, who apparently exceeded expectations at Nationals and finished 7th.  So he is paying attention to all the sports.

https://twitter.com/phillipfulmer/status/975416406505385985

So he is paying attention.  And if you scroll down past the first few comments, it's all Vol fans begging him to fire Holly.  Fulmer seems like a stubborn guy, so I don't know if that would actually affect his decision, but he at least knows folks are upset.   

If Fulmer is actually composing those tweets, which I would consider doubtful, he almost certainly isn't seeing the notifications. So, unfortunately, the outrage on Twitter won't impact him.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 03:57:24 EDT »

If Fulmer is actually composing those tweets, which I would consider doubtful, he almost certainly isn't seeing the notifications. So, unfortunately, the outrage on Twitter won't impact him.

Ah, you're so cynical.  The tweet sounds like him.  And why wouldn't he read the responses.  He does care about the University and it's Athletics, no matter what anyone thinks of him.

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 04:49:48 EDT »

Ah, you're so cynical.  The tweet sounds like him.  And why wouldn't he read the responses.  He does care about the University and it's Athletics, no matter what anyone thinks of him.

You are familiar with Twitter, right? If you're a "celebrity" type on Twitter, your mentions, replies and direct tweets will overwhelm you. I guarantee you that unless Fulmer follows you (and that's less than 100 people), there's not a chance in hell that he's seeing anything you say.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 05:51:39 EDT »

You are familiar with Twitter, right? If you're a "celebrity" type on Twitter, your mentions, replies and direct tweets will overwhelm you. I guarantee you that unless Fulmer follows you (and that's less than 100 people), there's not a chance in hell that he's seeing anything you say.

The comments are right there in the feed for anyone to see, including Fulmer. 

I think you may be overestimating how a big a "celebrity" Fulmer is.  Come on man, it was a tweet about the lady swim team.  There were only a total of 29 comments!  If he sent it himself, he almost certainly saw the replies.

But for the record, my main point is that I think Fulmer wrote this tweet himself.    It sounds exactly like him.  Even if an AD employee sent it, he still wrote it IMO.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 05:53:42 EDT »

At the risk of piling on, I glanced at the tweet again, and it's his personal feed, not an AD one.  I'll bet you a grand Fulmer doesn't let anyone else touch that one, and if he does, he's a fool.   Or let me put it this way, if it was my account, I wouldn't let anyone else touch it.  Too easy for someone to write something embarrassing. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 03:48:43 EDT »

The comments are right there in the feed for anyone to see, including Fulmer. 

I think you may be overestimating how a big a "celebrity" Fulmer is.  Come on man, it was a tweet about the lady swim team.  There were only a total of 29 comments!  If he sent it himself, he almost certainly saw the replies.

But for the record, my main point is that I think Fulmer wrote this tweet himself.    It sounds exactly like him.  Even if an AD employee sent it, he still wrote it IMO.

Trust me on this. I do a lot of online marketing. The first thing "they" do is set their preferences so that they only receive notifications from people they follow. To do otherwise is to be inundated with nonsense. Can you imagine John Curry trying to keep up with the Twitter uproar as he conducted his coaching search, or Butch Jones scrolling through Twitter after a loss?

There are exceptions, including our own Joshua Dobbs, who was notorious for searching for himself on Twitter, then blocking anyone who mentioned anything negative about him (even if they didn't put the "@" in front of his name to directly mention him). It was a bizarre practice, but not something very many "famous" people do on Twitter.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 04:36:35 EDT »

Trust me on this. I do a lot of online marketing. The first thing "they" do is set their preferences so that they only receive notifications from people they follow. To do otherwise is to be inundated with nonsense. Can you imagine John Curry trying to keep up with the Twitter uproar as he conducted his coaching search, or Butch Jones scrolling through Twitter after a loss?

There are exceptions, including our own Joshua Dobbs, who was notorious for searching for himself on Twitter, then blocking anyone who mentioned anything negative about him (even if they didn't put the "@" in front of his name to directly mention him). It was a bizarre practice, but not something very many "famous" people do on Twitter.

I see what you're saying.  Well if Fulmer is unaware that sentiment has turned against Holly, he isn't paying attention.

Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 04:48:47 EDT »

Unbelievably, there are still a lot of UT fans who support Holly. I believe she still has a number of the diehards from the glory days in her corner.

I'm not a huge fan of women's basketball, but I do follow it, and it's sad to see this once trend-setting program become an also-ran. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 02:37:03 EDT »

Unbelievably, there are still a lot of UT fans who support Holly. I believe she still has a number of the diehards from the glory days in her corner.

I'm not a huge fan of women's basketball, but I do follow it, and it's sad to see this once trend-setting program become an also-ran. 

I feel like I was one who defended her for too long.  "Who could follow Pat, anyway?" was my attitude.  But I see now that this way of thinking is just accepting mediocrity.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 05:41:07 EDT »

I feel like I was one who defended her for too long.  "Who could follow Pat, anyway?" was my attitude.  But I see now that this way of thinking is just accepting mediocrity.

Well...I don't care what our tradition is, she went to the Elite Eight 3 out of her first 4 years.  Talk of firing someone with that level of performance is just bat shizzle crazy IMO.  I know that at Tennessee if we don't at least make the FF we are disappointed, but 3/4 on the Elite 8 is just not red card material IMO.

Now for the second year in a row, we don't even make the Region.  This is a serious step down. It creates an expectation that worse will follow. 

What I don't like is that although I have only watched a couple games the last two years, we looked pitiful in them.  I am not an expert on judging basketball performance, although I did play in middle and HS and have coached a few rec league teams, I could tell the team was not playing with heart and also not executing - at times - at other times they do, but certainly they just don't seem to show up for some games.

And if the shoddy product I saw in those few games is what's happening in all the ones I don't watch, then I understand the frustration.

I don't know what Phil is thinking.  Like I said elsewhere, with one year left on her contract, he's going to have to do something. 

I know what I would do.  I would not be in any hurry to re-sign her.  I'd let the pressure build into the season and see how she handles it, and if we have a bad season, the decision makes itself. 

Fulmer is in a strong position IMO. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: