VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 06:44:49 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone seen "Wild Wild Country" on Netflix?  (Read 1791 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2018, 11:21:00 EDT »

It's the story of the Rajneesh religious/sex cult that set up shop in the middle of nowhere in Oregon in the early 80's. Fascinating. I'm only 3 episodes in (out of 6) but I'm in full binge mode. Those people were batshizzle crazy.

Strange that this if the first I've ever heard of this story. You'd think it would've been a huge national news story back then, and even still talked about to this day.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:43:23 EDT »

It's the story of the Rajneesh religious/sex cult that set up shop in the middle of nowhere in Oregon in the early 80's. Fascinating. I'm only 3 episodes in (out of 6) but I'm in full binge mode. Those people were batshizzle crazy.

Strange that this if the first I've ever heard of this story. You'd think it would've been a huge national news story back then, and even still talked about to this day.

It was in the national news back then for a while, but I guess they didn't obsess over it.  We didn't really have the 24/7 news cycle back then - they just gave us the news and moved on.

One of my roommates in college was linked to this story.  He had a twin brother and when his parents got divorced, he and his twin brother were separated (they were very young at the time).  His Mom and brother got involved with this cult, and he and his Dad stayed in Texas.  At the time I knew him, he never really even knew his twin brother - I just could never understand that.  He was pretty embarrassed that his Mom was caught up in all of that, and he told me he really didn't even consider her his mother.  Pretty sad. 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 12:07:25 EDT »

It was in the national news back then for a while, but I guess they didn't obsess over it.  We didn't really have the 24/7 news cycle back then - they just gave us the news and moved on.

One of my roommates in college was linked to this story.  He had a twin brother and when his parents got divorced, he and his twin brother were separated (they were very young at the time).  His Mom and brother got involved with this cult, and he and his Dad stayed in Texas.  At the time I knew him, he never really even knew his twin brother - I just could never understand that.  He was pretty embarrassed that his Mom was caught up in all of that, and he told me he really didn't even consider her his mother.  Pretty sad. 

I was like 9 at the time, and didn't really pay attention to the news. But I grew up hearing about Jonestown and (later) Waco, and still hear about them to this day. Of course, those cases ended with a bunch of corpses and Rajneesh didn't (although apparently not for lack of trying).

The series basically ends with Rajneesh's arrest. I think they could've added another hour to tell some of the stories of the broken families like your roommate's, and if they ever reconciled.

Still an engrossing binge though. Check it out if you haven't already.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: