VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 02:47:55 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Columbus GA?  (Read 17880 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2018, 12:41:32 EDT »

I may have an imminent job offer there. The money is good, but not "uproot my life and move to some place I'll hate" good. Is it a decent place to live?

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 12:47:54 EDT »

I may have an imminent job offer there. The money is good, but not "uproot my life and move to some place I'll hate" good. Is it a decent place to live?
FLVOL spent a considerable amount of time there in a previous life.
Other than it's support town for the Benning School for Boys (and Girls) and darn close to the Barn ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 02:38:42 EDT »

I've just driven through, but I would much prefer 'nooga and your own Ooltewah area, which I admittedly know much better than Columbus.

BG
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 02:52:03 EDT »

BDV I lived there once about thirty five years ago 1983-1985 time frame and it was humid, hot and that was in the Spring....

I can truthfully say that there are a bunch of Aubie fans in the area and while not a bad area to be in the place was not on my favorite places to live.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 03:18:47 EDT »

I lived there for 4 years or so, and I'd give it a 6 out of 10. There's a few good resturants that makes for some great date nights, a minor league basball team and a hockey team IIRC. With all of that, there's a good bit of poverty that pops up all the time, and it has a very large military population that gets to be a pain to deal with.

meh.....

11B4PJ3F7
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 05:07:53 EDT »

Hmm. So the consensus is that it's not exactly a garden spot. Guess I may have a lot to think about. Thanks everyone.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 02:42:03 EDT »

Check it out. You can live anywhere two years if it's good for your career...and the family is fine with it.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 05:02:33 EDT »

Hmm. So the consensus is that it's not exactly a garden spot. Guess I may have a lot to think about. Thanks everyone.

Nope.  Not a garden spot.  From what we have seen when my son was there for Jump School and BOLC2 and we visited him, it is your typical Army Post town. 

But that said, there are worse places to live. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 05:30:41 EDT »

Wouldn't be my choice to live the...jmo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

10EC
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 07:16:40 EDT »

Short drive the the Red Neck Riviera if you like beach life
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 07:25:53 EDT »

Short drive the the Red Neck Riviera if you like beach life
You mean LA (lower alabama)?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
10EC
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 07:41:20 EDT »

You mean LA (lower alabama)?

Fort Walton/PC but same same as LA
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 08:25:38 EDT »

Orange Beach >> Ft Walton >>>>> Panama City

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 04:50:03 EDT »

I enjoyed Orange Beach

11B4PJ3F7
10EC
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 06:02:34 EDT »

Orange Beach >> Ft Walton >>>>> New Jersey >>>>> Panama City
Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 06:07:17 EDT »

Having never lived there, I have nothing of value to add to this discussion but I did want to take this opportunity to say that I have come to loathe Columbus just from passing through it en route to the Redneck Riviera.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 08:33:31 EDT »

Having never lived there, I have nothing of value to add to this discussion but I did want to take this opportunity to say that I have come to loathe Columbus just from passing through it en route to the Redneck Riviera.

Which way do you go? From here in Chattanooga, we always take I59 to B'ham, I65 to Montgomery, and Hwy 331 to the beach. Going through GA seems like it would take a lot longer, especially dealing with ATL traffic.

Creek Walker
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 09:01:24 EDT »

Well, I use that term loosely. We usually go further east, so the Atlanta route doesn't take any longer, although we sometimes go the Birmingham route as well. Atlanta traffic isn't a problem because I time it to hit Atlanta before rush-hour starts. The only snag the whole trip, inevitably, is Columbus.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 03:15:36 EDT »

We all know one guy who's not familiar...

wtkvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 03:27:55 EDT »

Take the north bypass before Columbus and go over to Phenix city.
Take 431 south through Eufaula and on to Dothan. Jut south of Dothan take 109 south.
Turns into 77 in Fla. on to Chipley at 90. Go west to 79. Then south through Vernon,Ebro (dog track)
And on to 98.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 03:06:03 EDT »

So, back in the day, Phenix City across the river from Columbus was one of the most corrupt municipalities in the country. 

http://malefactorsregister.com/wp/the-fall-and-rise-of-phenix-city/

Here are some nuggets....

Gen. George Patton once threatened to take his tanks from Fort Benning to “mash Phenix City flat” because of the “atrocities committed against his soldiers.”

Murder of the attorney general of Alabama!

The Alabama political cabal did everything it could to defeat Patterson, but in June 1954 Patterson won the Democratic nomination for Attorney General. At the time winning the Democratic primary in Alabama was essentially the same as winning the general election, so the leaders of Phenix City’s underworld realized they had a significant problem.On the night of June 18, 1954, Patterson had just finished some work at his office in Phenix City and was getting into his car when he was shot three times with a .38 pistol. One of the shots was fired while the muzzle of the pistol was pressed against his lips. Patterson stumbled out of the parking lot on to a nearby street about 30 feet from where he was shot before collapsing and dying.

Disarming of the local police by the National Guard

Along with sub-machine gun-toting state troopers, 150 Guardsmen with law enforcement background began patrolling the city streets as the governor announced a $5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Patterson’s killer. Local police were disarmed by the Guard, the only time in American history this had happened. Patterson’s son, also an attorney, swore vengeance on the murderer.

That was a long time ago though.  It's a wonderful place now.   

Not sure how much of the corruption extended into Columbus, but I know an older gentlemen who lived in Columbus in the late 50s and he indicated that it was also pretty corrupt.

This is more for general interest than to give any insight on what it's like now, but I thought it was all pretty interesting.  I hadn't read about it in a while and forgot that the Attorney General of Al got whacked.   

Some additional trivia....the son of the slain Attorney General - John Patterson  - ran for governor in 1958 on a strong segregation platform, and defeated a young, relatively liberal fellow by the name of George Wallace.  Wallace''s infamous quote on the situation is that he "was out-n-ed by John Patterson. And I'll tell you here and now, I will never be out-n-ed again"

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/George_Wallace#1950s

Mr. Wallace responded by becoming a strong segregationist and winning the next election in 1962.  And then - so on and so forth, etc etc, covered himself and the whole state in glory.   

Hmmm. Bama has such a colorful history.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 03:20:00 EDT »

so according to this site, it's the 70th-worst place in the state

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-places-to-live-in-georgia/

That doesn't sound too bad.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 04:47:52 EDT »

so according to this site, it's the 70th-worst place in the state

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-places-to-live-in-georgia/

That doesn't sound too bad.   

well, it is in Georgia. Any city in Georgia would suck to live in because it's in Georgia

11B4PJ3F7
10EC
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 06:38:42 EDT »

well, it is in Georgia. Any city in Georgia would suck to live in because it's in Georgia

I live this daily... truer words never spoken.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 06:48:49 EDT »

And I would imagine that Columbus sucks all the more because it's right by Alabama.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: