VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 09:47:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nope, Phil. Nope.  (Read 6260 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2018, 08:51:01 EDT »

https://atozsportsnashville.com/tennessee-lady-vols-ut-working-extension-holly-warlick/

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 09:23:24 EDT »

I just came here to post the same thing BDV. This is a benighted move of epic proportions.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 10:10:34 EDT »

I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:17:41 EDT »

A two year extension without a bump is meaningless.  So is a two year extension with a small bump.

Three year with a large bump and I'll be upset.

Did anyone really expect her to get fired right now?  I didn't.  Did anyone expect no extension?  I didn't.

The degree of extension and size of bump will determine my attitude towards this.  A two year no cost extension is really just giving her more time to finish hanging herself. I'd rather see that than a rushed and botched fire/re-hire.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:25:32 EDT »

A two year extension without a bump is meaningless.  So is a two year extension with a small bump.

Three year with a large bump and I'll be upset.

Did anyone really expect her to get fired right now?  I didn't.  Did anyone expect no extension?  I didn't.

The degree of extension and size of bump will determine my attitude towards this.  A two year no cost extension is really just giving her more time to finish hanging herself. I'd rather see that than a rushed and botched fire/re-hire.

If it happens, I won't be looking at the bump in salary (or lack thereof), I'll be looking at the buyout.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 02:56:42 EDT »

If it happens, I won't be looking at the bump in salary (or lack thereof), I'll be looking at the buyout.

Good point.  Phil has a lot of leverage.

If we use Phil himself as an example, I thought the extension and raise that Hamilton gave him in  spring of 2008 was too much.  Then turned around and fired him right away.   

If you're going to fire Holly now, fire her.  If not, then the extension and buyout should be modest. 

What might be telling is how long the negotiations drag on.  I have seen cases like this go into the season.  If I was Phil, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to ink anything.  Unless he thinks it might have a big effect on this year's recruiting.  But even then, let's not make a multi year mistake to save one recruiting class....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 06:54:02 EDT »

Why does a coach that led the Lady Vols to a 7th seed in the SEC tourney even have a job, much less looking at an extension? They are going to keep her hanging around just like they did B. Jones. I hope I am wrong.

volsboyinsodak
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 08:02:22 EDT »

There was no way she would get fired this year. Make no mistake about it, I'm not happy with her job performance. But a school would look pretty bad to fire a coach who just brought in the #1 class and is bringing in a top five class this year. I think Fulmer is giving her the opportunity to see what she can do with both of these classes. But's that could be like giving someone enough rope to hang themselves.

I won't guarantee that she will still be the coach next year.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 11:48:44 EDT »

There was no way she would get fired this year. Make no mistake about it, I'm not happy with her job performance. But a school would look pretty bad to fire a coach who just brought in the #1 class and is bringing in a top five class this year. I think Fulmer is giving her the opportunity to see what she can do with both of these classes. But's that could be like giving someone enough rope to hang themselves.

I won't guarantee that she will still be the coach next year.

Yep.  The terms of the extension will be very telling.  Ideally it will be a short extension with little to no additional money and a buyout that is capped pretty tightly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: