VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 08:28:47 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pruitt: I like what he had to say  (Read 7890 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2018, 01:58:14 EDT »

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2018/04/21/ut-coach-jeremy-pruitt-saw-couple-vols-who-flat-out-quit-spring-game/529692002/
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 04:10:08 EDT »

I don't mind what he said about the team, but he went too far when he called out the fans. I know his old boss used to do the same thing, but his old boss had banked enough capital that he could get away with it. Pruitt has no such goodwill built up with this fanbase. Of course, he hasn't lost yet, either, which is probably why many are giving him a pass. But remember- it wasn't so long ago that lipreaders thought they caught Butch Jones badmouthing the fans on the sideline, and he caught absolute hell for that. If Pruitt loses a few games, the fans aren't going to put up with that crap for long.

Having said that- while I don't like what he said, maybe the fact that he even said it is a good indicator. Because you know that Fulmer would never say such things. Likewise, I wouldn't think that he would condone his subordinates saying such things unless he's granted them a good deal of autonomy. So maybe this goes a long way towards dispelling the notion that Pruitt is Fulmer's puppet.

Besides, I think that 65K (announced) turning out for a glorified practice is pretty darn good for a team coming off the worst season in its history. And they didn't do the pregame autograph session this year, either. In the past, many fans turned out just for that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:19:33 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 05:12:40 EDT »

I don't mind what he said about the team, but he went too far when he called out the fans. I know his old boss used to do the same thing, but his old boss had banked enough capital that he could get away with it. Pruitt has no such goodwill built up with this fanbase. Of course, he hasn't lost yet, either, which is probably why many are giving him a pass. But remember- it wasn't so long ago that lipreaders thought they caught Butch Jones badmouthing the fans on the sideline, and he caught absolute hell for that. If Pruitt loses a few games, the fans aren't going to put up with that crap for long.

Having said that- while I don't like what he said, maybe the fact that he even said it is a good indicator. Because you know that Fulmer would never say such things. Likewise, I wouldn't think that he would condone his subordinates saying such things unless he's granted them a good deal of autonomy. So maybe this goes a long way towards dispelling the notion that Pruitt is Fulmer's puppet.

Besides, I think that 65K (announced) turning out for a glorified practice is pretty darn good for a team coming off the worst season in its history. And they didn't do the pregame autograph session this year, either. In the past, many fans turned out just for that.

Agree. I felt that was a bit silly on his part. I don't know what he was expecting but today's attendance certainly exceeded by expectations. Was it 65,000? No. But it was pretty darned good. The lower bowl was almost full, plus some upstairs. Given the season this program is coming off of, the general lack of excitement about Pruitt and the expectations for 2018, I felt it was an excellent turnout.

I feel like I am pretty much in the mainstream among UT fans when I say show me something to get excited about.
BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 05:45:27 EDT »

For those that think he may be a Fulmer puppit...

If he's willing to strongly disagree with Nick Saban, I highly doubt your head coach would shy away from disagreeing with Phil Fulmer. According to someone who is very close to Jeremy Pruitt, he defended his opinions in a very strong manner with Saban.

In fact he disagreed with Fulmer right off the bat during the hiring process. Fulmer wanted Pruitt to immediately head to Knoxville fulltime as UT's new head coach, and Pruitt wanted to coach his defense in the playoffs. You know who won that argument!

While I don't know anymore than anyone else if he will be successful at Tennessee, I do know how stubborn and how willing Jeremy Pruitt is in fighting for what he believes is right.

Edited to add, when your Vols lose a few games, and UT fans aren't "putting up with that crap for long" as you said, why the heck did Tennessee fans put up with it in Butch Jones first two years? This guy is the polar opposite of Butch Jones, and isn't going to tell the fans what they want to hear. I doubt he's your kind of coach either, as he is completely different from the Mike Leach types in the coaching profession.

BTW, this is all too weird for me defending the Tennessee head coach. Now is really the time for me to leave. C-yall.  

BG

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:07:45 EDT by BGHarper » Logged
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 07:28:49 EDT »

Don't leave BG. You add good stuff.

As for Pruitt, I don't care what he says. He can call me out personally so long as he entertains (wins).

But I don't solicit his advice on how I spend my time any more than I do a street corner juggler's. Yesterday I went hiking, and was glad I did.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 07:30:42 EDT »

As for Pruitt, I don't care what he says. He can call me out personally so long as he entertains (wins).

But I don't solicit his advice on how I spend my time any more than I do a street corner juggler's. Yesterday I went hiking, and was glad I did.
I haven't attended a O&W game in well over at least a decade - live too far away to travel for a glorified practice.  Of course the distance is >4,000 miles now there is that

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 07:38:44 EDT »

I haven't attended a O&W game in well over at least a decade - live too far away to travel for a glorified practice.  Of course the distance is >4,000 miles now there is that

Are you living over there permanently now?

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 07:40:48 EDT »

Thanks murf, but it really is time to move on.

Enjoyed it!

BG

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 10:53:33 EDT »

Pirate may be among those given a pass by Pruitt.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 11:49:24 EDT »

I wonder who “flat out quit”? I guess we’ll know when they transfer  
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:40:34 EDT by SmokeyJoe » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 12:36:04 EDT »

Edited to add, when your Vols lose a few games, and UT fans aren't "putting up with that crap for long" as you said, why the heck did Tennessee fans put up with it in Butch Jones first two years? This guy is the polar opposite of Butch Jones, and isn't going to tell the fans what they want to hear. I doubt he's your kind of coach either, as he is completely different from the Mike Leach types in the coaching profession.

BTW, this is all too weird for me defending the Tennessee head coach. Now is really the time for me to leave. C-yall.  

BG

Just now noticed your edit. The "crap" I refer to isn't necessarily losing games, it's losing games and badmouthing the fanbase. I fully realize that he inherited a tough situation, and I'm not expecting him to contend for championships at least until year 3. I think most reasonable Vol fans would agree. But he'll shorten that leash considerably if he's constantly berating this fanbase. We've been through a LOT, and we're not putting up with the BS anymore. Ask John Currie.

BGHarper
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 02:29:09 EDT »

Just now noticed your edit. The "crap" I refer to isn't necessarily losing games, it's losing games and badmouthing the fanbase. I fully realize that he inherited a tough situation, and I'm not expecting him to contend for championships at least until year 3. I think most reasonable Vol fans would agree. But he'll shorten that leash considerably if he's constantly berating this fanbase. We've been through a LOT, and we're not putting up with the BS anymore. Ask John Currie.

I personally don't think it's a big deal. He wanted a large crowd to help show the team it's support, and for the resulting recruiting benefits it can bring.

Perhaps he should not have mentioned his disappointment, but that's Pruitt for you; he is a no B/S type of guy who speaks his mind.

BG
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 04:24:49 EDT »

Poster on TOS site knows Pruitt and his family.....He said Pruitt isn't your polished PR person and never will be. But he lives and breathes football 7 days a week and has since he was a kid. I'll take it.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 02:55:15 EDT »

Poster on TOS site knows Pruitt and his family.....He said Pruitt isn't your polished PR person and never will be. But he lives and breathes football 7 days a week and has since he was a kid. I'll take it.

Yeah, a more than welcome change from a coach who was always spinning and selling... Very early on in Butch's tenure here I tuned out and never listened to him speak.

I like Pruitt's style, in that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: