VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 01:15:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My son just got his dorm assignment - Reese Hall - thoughts?  (Read 4678 times)
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2018, 03:52:04 EDT »

it was not at the top of his list, but it is supposed to be convenient location wise.  And apparently it is close to a Chik-fil-A, whis is important

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 04:00:28 EDT »

Wait- haven't you heard about CFA's evil plot to infiltrate the planet with their tasty Jesus chicken?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/chick-fil-as-creepy-infiltration-of-new-york-city

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 04:47:22 EDT »

Wait- haven't you heard about CFA's evil plot to infiltrate the planet with their tasty Jesus chicken?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/chick-fil-as-creepy-infiltration-of-new-york-city

That is pretty sad, and it seems like that kind of sentiment just grows and grows.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 06:23:21 EDT »

it was not at the top of his list, but it is supposed to be convenient location wise.  And apparently it is close to a Chik-fil-A, whis is important

During my wonderful years at UTK (early 2000's) I spent time at Morrill Hall as well as Andy Holt Apts, both of which are now gone of course though I still am surprised everytime drive by and see them gone... but both of these were right there in the same vicinity as Reese.  I personally couldn't have been happier, like you said that food court is really close.  It's also pretty close to I-40 access near the strip.

The only downside I can even think of is it's a good walk to classes every day but I never minded that.

Sigh, I miss college.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 05:47:55 EDT »

Reese was one of the more desirable locations for a frosh in 1985 when I started there.  Morrill and Andy Holt were not open to freshmen at the time, and IIRC, Reese was considered the "place to be" along with Carrick.  I waited till the last minute and ended up in the Zoo aka Hess, which i enjoyed for the most part.   

I'd say he can't go wrong with Reese.  The square with Reese, Humes and Carrick is a social center, or was when I was at UT.  I saw Dale Jones and other luminaries there quite frequently.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 05:01:00 EDT »

I'm on the fence about this. Being a god fearing Tennessee boy I am worried about anti-christian sentiments. The other side of me feels that if I want preaching I will go to church. I don't want to hear it in too many outside venues.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 05:16:59 EDT »

I'm on the fence about this. Being a god fearing Tennessee boy I am worried about anti-christian sentiments. The other side of me feels that if I want preaching I will go to church. I don't want to hear it in too many outside venues.

I'm not sure what there is to be on the fence about. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of Chick-fil-A, but I have eaten there a number of times and not once have I had a worker hand me a religious tract or offer to wash my feet...I've never seen them pass the plate or call for a fellowship handshake. No altar calls...not even a single verse of Just As I Am. They don't even require you to bless the food before you eat it.

You don't get preaching when you go to Chick-fil-A. You get slightly overpriced chicken served up by a corporation that espouses Christian principles, emphasizes customer service and treats their employees right.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 05:49:33 EDT »

I'm not sure what there is to be on the fence about. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of Chick-fil-A, but I have eaten there a number of times and not once have I had a worker hand me a religious tract or offer to wash my feet...I've never seen them pass the plate or call for a fellowship handshake. No altar calls...not even a single verse of Just As I Am. They don't even require you to bless the food before you eat it.

You don't get preaching when you go to Chick-fil-A. You get slightly overpriced chicken served up by a corporation that espouses Christian principles, emphasizes customer service and treats their employees right.

No preaching at all. There isn't even any Christian signage in their dining rooms as far as I've ever seen. I you like the food, eat there. It's that simple. I mean, I'm pretty sure the owners of the Chinese place down the road from me don't share my beliefs, but that doesn't stop me from eating there once or twice a month.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 12:50:30 EDT »

This^

My youngest daughter who's 30 now worked at Chick-fil-A all during high school....college and nursing school. Over those years not once was religion discussed with or to her or not once was she told that we close on Sunday's so you need to go to church. What they did teach her was good work ethic.....how to treat customers. We couldn't have asked for a better place for her to work during those years.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 02:27:40 EDT »

BTW, the best-kept secret in fast food is CFA's breakfast. Their biscuits dunk all over Hardee's.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 06:18:12 EDT »

So many things to laugh at in that.  For instance he talks about "what we expect from our fast food".  Yeah. I have expectations about that.  Like....give me a burger (or chicken sandwich).  Make it fast.  And please don't let me get sick from it.  I mean...COME ON!  Those elite New Yorker's and their high expectations for ....uh....fast food? How can anyone live up to their standards?    Jesus H. Christ.

And this...the corporate HQ "has a statue of Jesus washing the disciples feet"!  OMG!  That's just awful.  How is that allowed in this day and age!  The shock!  (Hm, maybe that's one reason the service at CFA is so good?)

What a ridiculous article and ridiculous author.   I hope CFA thrives in NY, and it drives him outta his mind.  Oh wait....he's pretty much already there.  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:18:06 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 06:26:03 EDT »

Yeah...read a bit further.

"It’s worth asking why Americans fell in love with an ad in which one farm animal begs us to kill another in its place. "

Seriously.  He thought that out.  He typed that.  He sent that to his editor.  His editor published it.  I just can't....words fail me.  How can anyone take this shizzle seriously.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 06:41:54 EDT »

At least the author of that article is not this unhinged.  Well, not yet anyway.   

https://www.cnn.com/2013/02/06/justice/dc-family-research-council-shooting/index.html

He'd bought a gun and learned how to use it. He'd loaded three magazines. And he had stopped by Chick-fil-A to pick up 15 sandwiches, which he planned to smear in the dying faces of staffers he expected to kill at the Family Research Council in Washington.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 05:43:52 EDT »

So many things to laugh at in that.  For instance he talks about "what we expect from our fast food".  Yeah. I have expectations about that.  Like....give me a burger (or chicken sandwich).  Make it fast.  And please don't let me get sick from it.  I mean...COME ON!  Those elite New Yorker's and their high expectations ....uh....fast food? How can anyone live up to their standards?     Jesus H. Christ.

And this...the corporate HQ "has a statue of Jesus washing the disciples feet"!  OMG!  That's just awful.  How is that allowed in this day and age!  The shock!  (Hm, maybe that's one reason the service at CFA is so good?)

What a ridiculous article and ridiculous author.   I hope CFA thrives in NY, and it drives him outta his mind.  Oh wait....he's pretty much already there.   

Well, this IS the town that thinks they've now cornered the barbecue market, with an "espresso-based dry rub".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2018/03/05/vice-claimed-brooklyn-barbecue-was-world-famous-now-it-is-in-the-worst-way-possible/?utm_term=.34b6ca9c36d0

In other news, the world's greatest Jewish deli is Big Buffalo Goldberg's Hoagies in Enid, Oklahoma.

Volengineer
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 06:59:25 EDT »

So, on the subject of Reese - I stayed there for three years back in the 80's.  Loved it.  Might be different now.  All the treks back and forth to the Hill kept me in good shape for basketball and the trips to the Strip.

On the subject of CFA, who cares what a Yankee thinks anyway.   
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 08:51:35 EDT »

No preaching at all. There isn't even any Christian signage in their dining rooms as far as I've ever seen. I you like the food, eat there. It's that simple. I mean, I'm pretty sure the owners of the Chinese place down the road from me don't share my beliefs, but that doesn't stop me from eating there once or twice a month.

This. 

If one doesn't like it, don't eat there, but don't tell the rest of us we shouldn't because you disagree with their corporate policy. 

Chik-fil-a is a well run company who makes a good product that people want to purchase.  It's really that simple. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: