VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 12:47:05 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like one of our VTTWers has a new job  (Read 3528 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2018, 05:02:23 EDT »

None other than our own Flvol is the interim at Jellico.  

https://tnhighschoolfootball.com/steve-smith-resigns-at-jellico-after-only-four-months/
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:51:19 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:15:13 EDT »

Saw where Humboldt had a HC opening.....A good buddy of mine who I coached with for several years was hired to be the HC back in March. He had coached at Humboldt for about 15 years from the early 70's until the mid 80's but left there to go coach at Franklin HS in Franklin, TN. He retired from Tennessee public schools and spent the last 10 years coaching in Southern Alabama and Mississippi 6A schools. Back in March they talked him into returning to Humboldt which is his hometown to try and rebuild Humboldt which has been on hard times the past 4-5 years.....the situation there has become pitiful. After Spring practice back in April he said screw it....I'm not going to try and rebuild this mess at 70 years old and resigned. Smartest thing he's ever done.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:50:50 EDT »

Saw where Humboldt had a HC opening.....A good buddy of mine who I coached with for several years was hired to be the HC back in March. He had coached at Humboldt for about 15 years from the early 70's until the mid 80's but left there to go coach at Franklin HS in Franklin, TN. He retired from Tennessee public schools and spent the last 10 years coaching in Southern Alabama and Mississippi 6A schools. Back in March they talked him into returning to Humboldt which is his hometown to try and rebuild Humboldt which has been on hard times the past 4-5 years.....the situation there has become pitiful. After Spring practice back in April he said screw it....I'm not going to try and rebuild this mess at 70 years old and resigned. Smartest thing he's ever done.

This is a tough time of the year to try to hire a coach.  The pool of quality coaches willing to move this close to the season is pretty shallow at this point. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 10:26:20 EDT »

Humboldt isn't coming close to hiring a quality coach....nowhere close. The one that just resigned was a homerun for them and he resigned after Spring practice because he didn't even know how bad it had gotten there even though I tried to tell him. They had to beg some home school students to come out last Fall just to have enough to meet the TSSAA minimum requirement to field a team. When I was there we had most years 55-65 players. I will not be shocked to see them drop football entirely. Sad for a program that Doug Atkins came from.....among other good, great ones.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 03:05:06 EDT »

None other than our own FLVOL is the interim at Jellico.  

https://tnhighschoolfootball.com/steve-smith-resigns-at-jellico-after-only-four-months/

help me out here HTV, I'm about to retire, but coaching fooosball never crossed my mind

11B4PJ3F7
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 05:41:11 EDT »

help me out here HTV, I'm about to retire, but coaching fooosball never crossed my mind
Hey!  You arm dudes all look alike! 
HTV thinking of an ex tanker, though for the life of me can't think of his handle on the board.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 04:05:11 EDT »

Oops.  Sorry.  Wrong handle. 

DOH! 

Johnny hasn't posted in quite some time.  My brain is trying to remember his old handle. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 05:13:11 EDT »

Oops.  Sorry.  Wrong handle. 

DOH! 

Johnny hasn't posted in quite some time.  My brain is trying to remember his old handle. 

This icon comes to mind, but HTV=Screaming Eagle Dad, right?

11B4PJ3F7
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 05:17:19 EDT »

This icon comes to mind, but HTV=Screaming Eagle Dad, right?

Thank you! 

That was Johnny.  I still talk to him on occasion, primarily through Twitter messaging. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 09:44:29 EDT »

I still remember my sophomore year at Maryville during the 1979 football season. Humboldt beat Maryville 13-10 in the AA Title game. Maryville was a small school in those days. Denso changed that. I know the coach that Tnphil is talking about.  Danny Nowell is his name. His son and my nephew played travel baseball together in Franklin. 1st time I met him he told me he was Franklin Head Coach. I told him I lived in Maryville. He then told me he was on the Humboldt staff when they beat Maryville in 1979. He also told me the same kid scored all 13 points. 2 field goals and a fumble return for a TD. That game winning field goal barely made it.  Crazy that my graduating class in 1982 had about 170 kids. My nephew that just graduated from Maryville was one of 425 kids who graduated. I remember Humboldt playing Marion County in 1995 state title game. Humboldt had a stud RB. Former UT OL was on that Humboldt team. Sad that Humboldt is that bad. They used to be feared. As a Rebel supporter I see how important coaching is.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 04:00:46 EDT »

I still remember my sophomore year at Maryville during the 1979 football season. Humboldt beat Maryville 13-10 in the AA Title game. Maryville was a small school in those days. Denso changed that. I know the coach that Tnphil is talking about.  Danny Nowell is his name. His son and my nephew played travel baseball together in Franklin. 1st time I met him he told me he was Franklin Head Coach. I told him I lived in Maryville. He then told me he was on the Humboldt staff when they beat Maryville in 1979. He also told me the same kid scored all 13 points. 2 field goals and a fumble return for a TD. That game winning field goal barely made it.  Crazy that my graduating class in 1982 had about 170 kids. My nephew that just graduated from Maryville was one of 425 kids who graduated. I remember Humboldt playing Marion County in 1995 state title game. Humboldt had a stud RB. Former UT OL was on that Humboldt team. Sad that Humboldt is that bad. They used to be feared. As a Rebel supporter I see how important coaching is.

I was on the staff at Humboldt who beat Maryville in 79. That was in the day when there was only 3 classifications....A AA AAA and us and Maryville where in AA. The player who scored all 13 points in that game for Humboldt was Alan Welch. He played fullback and linebacker and was also our kicker. Also on the staff that played Marion County in the 1995 state championship game. The running back was Kelcy Williams, IMO the best running back to come out of Humboldt....He was recruited by P5 schools all over the country and would have gone to UT most likely.....He didn't have the grades for major college football and went to Blinn Junior College and won a national championship. From there he went to Northwest Oklahoma University and set all kinds of school records....The OLmen that went to UT off that 1995 team was Toby Champion. My son was also a senior on that team and he went on to play college football.

Humboldt is a shell of it's former self...Sad. It's down to 280 students 9 through 12th grade....at one time we had around 600 students. I put 28 years into that program. Nowell was smart to walk away.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:21:36 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
10EC
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 07:09:58 EDT »

I still remember my sophomore year at Maryville during the 1979 football season. Humboldt beat Maryville 13-10 in the AA Title game. Maryville was a small school in those days. Denso changed that. I know the coach that Tnphil is talking about.  Danny Nowell is his name. His son and my nephew played travel baseball together in Franklin. 1st time I met him he told me he was Franklin Head Coach. I told him I lived in Maryville. He then told me he was on the Humboldt staff when they beat Maryville in 1979. He also told me the same kid scored all 13 points. 2 field goals and a fumble return for a TD. That game winning field goal barely made it.  Crazy that my graduating class in 1982 had about 170 kids. My nephew that just graduated from Maryville was one of 425 kids who graduated. I remember Humboldt playing Marion County in 1995 state title game. Humboldt had a stud RB. Former UT OL was on that Humboldt team. Sad that Humboldt is that bad. They used to be feared. As a Rebel supporter I see how important coaching is.

Ahh, 1979.  The year Alcoa had Maryville beat and then our QB pitches the ball to a ghost at the goal line...

It took 1985 (my Senior year) for Alcoa to finally beat Maryville.

As a Sophomore, you probably had to play against Todd Upton from Alcoa?  He was a beast.

RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 12:25:02 EDT »

Ahh, 1979.  The year Alcoa had Maryville beat and then our QB pitches the ball to a ghost at the goal line...

It took 1985 (my Senior year) for Alcoa to finally beat Maryville.

As a Sophomore, you probably had to play against Todd Upton from Alcoa?  He was a beast.

I think you are thinking 1978. 1979 was 24-0 Maryville. 1980 was a year Maryville won 3-0. Todd Upton was a beast. Kid for Alcoa dropped a sure TD in 1980. My senior Year we stuffed Alcoa at the goal line to win 14-11.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: