VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 01:06:14 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CWS v. Sweet 16  (Read 1968 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:14:29 EDT »

Considering everyone can play hoops at a high level, but only warm weather states can compete in baseball, is being one of eight teams to make the CWS an incredible accomplishment?

A Sweet 16 berth is nice, but not amazing.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 02:26:08 EDT »

I wouldn't exactly say that Seattle and Corvallis are in "warm weather states", but somehow Washington and Oregon State have made it to Omaha. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 03:29:57 EDT »

Hell....we can't make it to Hoover!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:40:33 EDT »

Wichita State is a traditional power (though they haven't done much the past few years). Oregon State won two in a row not long ago, and they're back in Omaha this year. And although it's in a warm weather state, Coastal Carolina won it all a couple years ago. That proves that anyone can do it these days. The limited scholarships in baseball (I think it's like 11.5 now) means that the "big boys" can't sign all the good players like they do in football and basketball. Good players are out there, you just have to find the right coach to identify, sign, and develop them.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:33:52 EDT »

Wichita State is a traditional power (though they haven't done much the past few years). Oregon State won two in a row not long ago, and they're back in Omaha this year. And although it's in a warm weather state, Coastal Carolina won it all a couple years ago. That proves that anyone can do it these days. The limited scholarships in baseball (I think it's like 11.5 now) means that the "big boys" can't sign all the good players like they do in football and basketball. Good players are out there, you just have to find the right coach to identify, sign, and develop them.

And you have to have a back up plan to replace the guys you have signed that are drafted and sign pro contracts, along with the juniors and draft eligible sophomores you lose to pro ball.  Rod Delmonico did a pretty good job of that for the most part.  He wasn't fired because of wins and losses, but because of off the field issues.  Neither Todd Raleight nor Dave Serrano ever had that back up plan.  

I like what I have seen of Vitello thus far.  Time will tell if he can get it done.  He just needs some time to fix the train wreck that Serrano left him and to get some SEC caliber talent in to the program. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 04:58:37 EDT »

If Vandy can field teams that were Omaha worthy then no reason the Vols can't.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: