VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 04:01:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Ward has passed.  (Read 6057 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2018, 02:42:56 EDT »

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 02:46:21 EDT »

I knew this day was coming, but that doesn't make it any easier. The GOAT.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 03:26:29 EDT »

John was the absolute best.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 03:27:53 EDT »

It feels like losing a family member you used to be really close to, but haven't seen in awhile.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 03:29:28 EDT »

Oh no!!  😢😢😢

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 03:37:07 EDT »

When I think of what made UT football special during my childhood I think of three guys: John Ward, Bobby Denton, and Johnny Majors. Two of them are gone, and I suspect that Johnny will be with them before too long.

But all those guys were Tennessee through and through, and gave the program a "local", "family" flavor that was so unlike today's slick corporate product, and I suspect we'll never see again.

Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 03:59:47 EDT »

For years, I've watched YouTube videos of John's old play calls with a lump in my throat. Today it's more than a lump. Time slows for none of us, and John was 88. Today was inevitable. But it still sucks. What I wouldn't give to have a time machine to go back and relive those old days when I was cutting my teeth on UT football in the '80s and early '90s as a kid in East Tennessee. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 04:18:20 EDT »

RIP MR. Ward

Heaven just got the best radio play by play man the game has ever seen.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 05:01:43 EDT »

Damn that is sad. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 06:20:58 EDT »

For years, I've watched YouTube videos of John's old play calls with a lump in my throat. Today it's more than a lump. Time slows for none of us, and John was 88. Today was inevitable. But it still sucks. What I wouldn't give to have a time machine to go back and relive those old days when I was cutting my teeth on UT football in the '80s and early '90s as a kid in East Tennessee. 

Unbelievable to me how much I took it for granted.     Today is like a "bucket of cold water over the head" reminder of that fact.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 10:09:33 EDT »

John was Tennessee football. No one else will never make Give Him Six! sound more awesome. He was part of Tennessee fans like me lives. Grew up with him. Quite a loss. The world is less colorful and a lot less orange today.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 10:21:15 EDT »

RIP John, and thanks for the memories.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 01:49:57 EDT »

It's hard to believe that we're now beginning a second generation of Vol fans who never knew John Ward. To me (and most of you, I'm sure) he's as much a part of UT sports as Neyland Stadium and the color Orange. I can't even imagine having grown up as a Vol without JW providing the soundtrack.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 08:54:50 EDT »

It's hard to believe that we're now beginning a second generation of Vol fans who never knew John Ward. To me (and most of you, I'm sure) he's as much a part of UT sports as Neyland Stadium and the color Orange. I can't even imagine having grown up as a Vol without JW providing the soundtrack.
HE WAS UT sports when I was first listening to him.  It was through him I first "saw" the Swamp Rat and the Artful Dodger (Holloway).  His calls of Holloway's exploits (Re: running for his life at times) were amazing.  On one play it seemed like Holloway ran sideline to sideline for 5 minutes till he threw a prayer to Seivers (who caught ANYTHING within 5 yards of him) for "Give him 2!"

It was through (a very horse) John I "saw" the VOLS win the 1967 SEC Championship in triple OT in Starkville.  As good as John was at football he was far, far better at calling basketball.  Over on VQ LWS posted a video of the 75 KY game at Stokely (I was there).  It was great hearing John's call over the video and you got an appreciation for how good he was.  Where the ball was, its general movement and who had the ball, often with who was guarding him.  very, very smooth.

As an aside, that video cut out my moment of fame.  Once Robey came down on King's back and he flung him into my lap.  Robey complained to the ref about it and the ref noted he was on King's back, did he want a foul on himself?  I WAS in the video but nobody would recognize me as I weighed 135# soaking wet in those days   Also, the video cut out the once a game charging foul on Grevey.  Every game they played Ernie G would draw a charging foul from Grevey, usually after a made shot.  Grevey would swish a long range jumper (probably a 3 these days) and just turn and run up the court.  Ernie would stand 10-15 feet away, pull out a KNS and read Mervin West's column and wait for Grevey to run into him.  BTW, KY was LOADED that year:  Phillips, Robey, Grevey, Givens

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 08:11:16 EDT »

I went to games for years and never took a radio with me....The first time I took one was when they came out with the ones with the headsets. I got in my seat and tuned it into John Ward and listened to the pre kickoff show.....The game started and we marched down the field in about 5 plays and Ward was always giving the last play while the next play was beginning.....We scored and Ward was giving the he's at the 5....4.....3...and we were already lining up for the extra point when Ward said....Touchdown Tennessee!!! I looked at my buddy next to me and said....I think John Ward is having issues up there he's a little slow today.....A man behind me leaned over to me and said....The radio is on a 8-10 second delay...LOL!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:20:41 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 04:17:03 EDT »

I remember the way he would describe Johnny Darden as the Dauber. Those were the days.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 08:19:27 EDT »

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 12:40:55 EDT »

Good-un, Pirate
Creek Walker
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 02:07:57 EDT »

A few John Ward memories. http://www.bengarrett.net/2018/06/25/john-ward-1930-2018/
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 07:41:56 EDT »

Nice article - Thanks!

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 04:44:25 EDT »

Awesome article.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 04:47:37 EDT »

Before every game was televised, you'd listen to the play by play, and even after television coverage saturated the market, we still listened with the TV turned down. John Ward could really paint a picture for us. It was thrilling! Sad he is gone 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: