VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 02:45:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My John Ward story  (Read 1890 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2018, 06:23:32 EDT »

I listened to John Ward do UT football and basketball as a kid. He was my introduction and lifeline to UT sports. He made me a fan.

About the time he retired, I went in to the radio business, first in advertising sales, and then as a high school football play by play guy. About three years later, by happenstance, I ran in to him at an advertising seminar that he was speaking at. I introduced myself to him and before I could say anything else, he said "you are a high school football radio broadcaster, aren't you? I've listened to you a few times. You do a great job." After I said, yes, I am, the first thing that went through my mind was, geez Louise, the great John Ward actually knew who I was and had listened to me work.

The fact that he made it a point to say that to me struck me like a ton of bricks. For a man who was one of the best ever in his profession to tell me that just left me speechless. Here I was just a lowly high school radio play by play guy, yet he made it a point to encourage me. That meant the world to me.

He then told me that if I ever needed anything from him, to let him know, and he gave me his business card. I sincerely believed that he meant every word.

I had the chance to talk to him a couple of more times over the years, and he was always kind and complimentary of my work.

That's just the kind of guy he was. Although I tried not to emulate him on the air, John Ward certainly influenced me in my on the air personality and the way I made sure I was prepared for my broadcasts. That's what made him great. He was never surprised, and he was always prepared.

RIP, John Ward. You influenced entire generations.

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:50:53 EDT »

Great story, Herb... thanks for sharing.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:00:00 EDT »

Yes, that is a great story.  I never had the fortune to cross paths with him, but like you, I grew up listening to him.  I remember listening to him call the football games while I was outside playing and took along my transistor radio.  And then there were all those winter nights where we heard him call the basketball games.  It seems like we had a radio on in every room at those times.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 10:12:01 EDT »

That just sums up the man and why he is so beloved in Tennessee. Nice post Herb.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 01:21:07 EDT »

Good story...Thanks! He was a incredible man.
RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 02:07:17 EDT »

Awesome
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: