VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 09:22:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doug Mathews' Optimism  (Read 3212 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:12:40 EDT »

Doug seems to be optimistic. I agree the cupboard isn't completely bare, but will believe we have decent QB and OL play when I see it. I think the potential is there.

http://www.coachdougmathews.com/big-orange-sunday/

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:57:10 EDT »

Doug was that way before last season too.

If we can get to 6-6 this season then Pruitt is a miracle worker, IMO.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:45:37 EDT »

QB is a massive, massive question. With poor play we won't win 6. With good play we could get 8.

Surely the OL will be better coached? Gotta be. I hope.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 06:11:23 EDT »

I have never been less optimistic, or less enthused, about a Tennessee football team. Oh, I'll watch, obviously. I'll be glued in to every damn minute. I just can't make myself not care, not completely. But the losses will hurt a lot less, because I'm numb to them. Anything better than 6-6, and I'm naming my next dog A'ight.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:13:12 EDT »

Doug was that way before last season too.

If we can get to 6-6 this season then Pruitt is a miracle worker, IMO.

Completely agree with this.  Hell fire, we won all of 4 games last year, and the schedule this fall is far more tough than last year's was.  6-6 would be best case scenario, but I honestly don't believe that anything better than 5-7 is going to happen. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 05:28:56 EDT »

I just hope we aren't 2-5 after the first seven games. It could happen. We might beat UF and be 3-4. Then hope we can beat Mizzou, UK and Vandy. If Pruitt can beat one of the West teams, then he is Lombardi. It's been way too long since we beat a West team. But until they play the games, it's hard to tell how good or bad we will be.

volsboyinsodak
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:58:41 EDT »

call me crazy, or maybe even constipated, but I feel a 6-6 season deep within my gut

11B4PJ3F7
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 01:08:15 EDT »

Last  year we went 0-8 solely due to coaching. To Butch's credit we have o.k. talent.

Is Pruitt any good? I have no clue, but he has usable pieces.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 01:11:56 EDT »

As an addendum, I haven't planned my fall Saturdays around football in years. This will likely be the third consecutive season I won't make the 200 mile trek to Neyland.

That having been said, I'll tune in if we're watchable.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 02:42:46 EDT »

Probably going to be a tough year, but I still can't wait for the season to get here. 

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 08:07:38 EDT »

Put me in this category.  For the first time in a long time I feel like we have an SEC coach.  I think we improve by leaps and bounds this year----but that doesn't necessarily translate to W-L record.  Could be a tough year, but I WILL have patience this year.  I swear.  Honestly, I will.  Well, I might.

Probably going to be a tough year, but I still can't wait for the season to get here. 

RON
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 11:31:34 EDT »

I don't see how UT could win 8 games. Last years team had the worst Oline in history. Defense was terrible. No SEC QB on the roster. I think RB and Receivers are good. It will take Jeremy Pruitt a few years to clean this mess up. Changing Strength and Conditioning coaches so much hurt the program. I believe Pruitt and his staff is very good.  UT had 3 bad coaches in a row. Kiffin,Dooley and Butch were awful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: