VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 12:00:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back from a long hiatus (sp)? wanted to give my take on this team  (Read 3951 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2018, 09:23:54 EDT »

Look this is not going to be a good team. We were 4-8 last year, and we have a lot of question marks everywhere, especially on offense. We HOPE this unit is better coached this year. It better be.

- This is not going to be a good offense. The OL will be decent at run blocking and not very good at pass blocking. It will be a little better than last year, and I do think we will have an emphasis on the run game. IMO we have RB by committee. I see JG as the starter, and he will grow into the position. He has skills. Not ready this year to be great, but he could be in the future. The WR group is very average, even with JJ. We need some guys to step it up there. We appear to have 1 SEC caliber TE and he is a juco. Bottom line on the offense, they will struggle against any decent SEC team.

- Defensively I believe the LBs will be better, barring injury. I can see Bituli, Kirkland, Ignont, Kongbo, Sapp, and Reid being a solid group. I see more sacks this year, and the interior DL will be good. The secondary - eh - well, Pruitt is coaching them up, but it's going to be young.

- Special teams - punting and placekicking are both concerns. Return teams should be good.

I see about 5-7, but with some luck maybe 6-6.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 09:54:54 EDT »

Where on earth have you been, I was worried you got kidnapped and tortured by wildcat fans after last year.  Course, just living amongst them is torture enough.

Look this is not going to be a good team. We were 4-8 last year, and we have a lot of question marks everywhere, especially on offense. We HOPE this unit is better coached this year. It better be.

- This is not going to be a good offense. The OL will be decent at run blocking and not very good at pass blocking. It will be a little better than last year, and I do think we will have an emphasis on the run game. IMO we have RB by committee. I see JG as the starter, and he will grow into the position. He has skills. Not ready this year to be great, but he could be in the future. The WR group is very average, even with JJ. We need some guys to step it up there. We appear to have 1 SEC caliber TE and he is a juco. Bottom line on the offense, they will struggle against any decent SEC team.

- Defensively I believe the LBs will be better, barring injury. I can see Bituli, Kirkland, Ignont, Kongbo, Sapp, and Reid being a solid group. I see more sacks this year, and the interior DL will be good. The secondary - eh - well, Pruitt is coaching them up, but it's going to be young.

- Special teams - punting and placekicking are both concerns. Return teams should be good.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:59:03 EDT »

I have been busy - kids are more demanding of my time, and my older one is a senior so the whole college push keeps me busy. I haven't really posted anywhere much the past year or so.

Love it in Lexington, it's a great town.

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 12:21:25 EDT »

Good to see ya on here! 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 02:20:01 EDT »

This is the universal expectation....6-6 might come down to Pruitt/Sherrer vs. Dooley in November 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 02:22:11 EDT »

And let me also say welcome back   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 03:03:03 EDT »

Welcome back Nut!

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 04:56:06 EDT »

Any more books in the works?

volsboyinsodak
10EC
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 05:15:49 EDT »

I have been busy - kids are more demanding of my time, and my older one is a senior so the whole college push keeps me busy. I haven't really posted anywhere much the past year or so.

Love it in Lexington, it's a great town.

I'm in same boat with my daughter.  Where is yours looking?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 06:54:39 EDT »

I'm in same boat with my daughter.  Where is yours looking?

Oh she has a list of 20 schools.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 06:55:41 EDT »

Any more books in the works?

Yeah I am about half done with my next one, I figure I will have more time to finish it after next year
10EC
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 07:09:32 EDT »

Oh she has a list of 20 schools.

Oh wow... We are down to 4.  Not worried about getting in.  It's the $. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 07:32:08 EDT »

Oh wow... We are down to 4.  Not worried about getting in.  It's the $.  

She will likely apply to about 10-12 schools.
Where is your daughter applying?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 07:33:51 EDT by Volznut » Logged
10EC
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 08:44:13 EDT »

She will likely apply to about 10-12 schools.
Where is your daughter applying?

Berry ( Rome Ga),  UGA (yeah, I know), Samford are really her prime picks.

UT is out b/c common market doesn’t exist for her chosen degree.  Out if State is insane even with all the academic scholarships.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 09:00:36 EDT »

Berry ( Rome Ga),  UGA (yeah, I know), Samford are really her prime picks.

UT is out b/c common market doesn’t exist for her chosen degree.  Out if State is insane even with all the academic scholarships.

Don't feel bad about UGA - my daughter has UK, UF, Vandy, and UGA in her top 20. UT is out.
She is applying to some Ivy league schools as well, and she really likes Emory in Atlanta too.

We will see - it will depend on the cost vs value equation I suppose.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:07:29 EDT by Volznut » Logged
10EC
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 09:10:36 EDT »

Don't feel bad about UGA - my daughter has UK, UF, Vandy, and UGA in her top 20. UT is out.
She is applying to some Ivy league schools as well, and she really likes Emory in Atlanta too.

We will see - it will depend on the cost vs value equation I suppose.

I’m thinking spend less on undergrad and spend the bucks on grad school.

Congrats if Ivy League... that says a lot about her academically of course.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 09:28:42 EDT »

I’m thinking spend less on undergrad and spend the bucks on grad school.

Congrats if Ivy League... that says a lot about her academically of course.

Yeah she has the credentials, but Ivy league is a reach to get into for pretty much anyone. If you can get in though, they take care of you.
She's not really big on UK, but it's her safety school.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: