VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 11:01:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how can the O Line NOT be better?  (Read 8056 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 10:00:32 EDT »

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anyone say they know Pruitt is the guy.  Just that based on spring and fall practice and everything in between and since Fulmer was named AD, I expect it to be better than Butch.  Not really a stretch honestly... and even though I was in full blown dream coach mode as you refer to last year I don't think my optimism of it being better contradicts that either.   

This is exactly my point.  Whatever Pruitt's ceiling or long term prospects, he is going to be a better Xs and Os and player prep guy than Jones.  Jones in game coaching ability was IMO by far his biggest weakness.  I don't see that happening with Pruitt, he often made good defensive adjustments on the fly as a DC and has a much better gut feel for the game than Jones. And though I think it's exagerated by some, Jones was at best an average developer of talent and Pruitt will be better IMO. (some say Jones was the worst ever at player development...I disagree, and so do Cam Sutton, Dobbs, and Derek Barnett among others...plenty of UT players were not busts under Jones).

But yes absolutely Pruitt as a football coach, setting aside recruiting and program management, will be a step up from Butch and that will help us.

And so far, though his recruiting is not setting the world on fire, it seems on par with Jones' last couple years, and may well improve.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2018, 09:18:53 EDT »

Since I brought up recruiting, Rivals has us at #8, basically tied with Auburn and LSU.   Of course, Uga, bammer and Tamu are all in the first three slots, but 8 is a big improvement over the last couple of years.

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2019/all-teams/football

And yeah, I know it's going to change multiple times between now and December and February, but as of today it's heading in the right direction.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: