VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 06:09:30 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soooooooo....everyone here still okay with being a Nike school this morning?  (Read 3411 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:20:34 EDT »

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 03:31:23 EDT »

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 03:55:13 EDT »

I have no problem with it.

Protest is ugly. It pisses off people. But the country was built on protest.

And, I will probably have to move this thread shortly.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 04:09:58 EDT »

I have no problem with it.

Protest is ugly. It pisses off people. But the country was built on protest.

And, I will probably have to move this thread shortly.

Sure. But when a corporate entity chooses to wade into the political waters, their potential customers can then choose to protest with their wallets. Capitalism always wins.

But politics aside, that Nike would pick a guy who actively chooses NOT to be an athlete to market their athletic apparel is an interesting choice. Will this new line of products include things like bathrobes and house slippers?

I'm proud to say that I was boycotting Nike long before anyone had heard of Kaepernick. That company is pure evil.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 04:51:12 EDT »

A big thanks goes out to ESPN & NIKE, et al, for masterfully infusing politics into sports.  I know I speak for all of us when I say we have been waiting and anticipating this glorious moment for quite some time. 

Thanks a lot, shizzle HEADS!

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 05:09:48 EDT »

Dang!!!!!! I really liked the Nike golf shoes I got back early Summer.....O' Well back to the Foot Joys.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 05:47:38 EDT »

Waiting for Colin to speak out against Nike's business practices.....

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 06:06:41 EDT »

Waiting for Colin to speak out against Nike's business practices.....

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 06:18:09 EDT »

Dang!!!!!! I really liked the Nike golf shoes I got back early Summer.....O' Well back to the Foot Joys.

Skechers makes a fine golf shoe too 
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 08:42:38 EDT »

I've bought a minimum of three pairs of AirMax 360's a year since the begining of 2007 (when I re-joined the Army). At a safe average of $135/pair, I've spent about $4500ish on Nike running shoes.

Good  bye politics, and hello Saucony

11B4PJ3F7
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 10:24:25 EDT »

Nike is a global company. So football fans not buying Nike will hurt the bottom line very little. Since I do not wear Nike shoes or clothes, it does not matter to me. As for a UT team shirt or jersey, this team has got to start winning more than they are losing for me to replace my old ones. That is just a fact.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 05:38:00 EDT »

Skechers makes a fine golf shoe too 

I really like my Skechers golf shoes.

I've never been a Nike fan.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 05:41:45 EDT »

I've ignored Nike for a long time, and will continue to do so.

I think that when they led the way in the running shoe revolution of the early 80s, they were fantastic.  I still recall the Terra TCs I never got because they sold out in 1983, but all my X country buddies had them and we were all Nike to my graduation in 1985.

Then I recall the first Air Jordon's, and my friend from the projects that dropped a C note on them in 1984.  And a few years later, a report that someone in Detroit had been shot over the Air Jordans.  At that point I lost respect for Nike and rolled my eyes at all the stupid commercials.  With the exception of the one where Magic and Bird were playing HORSE, that one was awesome.  But really it was at that point just an over-hyped commercial product and with rare exceptions, I never gave them any more money.  I've bought two expensive pairs of running shoes in the last 5 years, and they were Asics.  Haven;t touched Nike in a long time.

But speaking of Air Jordans, I have to wonder what percentage of Nike's revenue in the US is from black customers?  I suspect much larger than their share of the population.  Add in a certain percentage of the hard left and it may not be terrible marketing.  Plus "any news is good publicity".  I think Nike knows what it's doing, but as far as me looking down at them I have been very unimpressed with their overpriced products since the early 90s.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: